"Hearie" vs. "Deafie"

Yea I can relate. I am profoundly severely deaf with a dB level of 120 in both ears but because I can speak so well ( according to hearing people) they think I should be able to hear better than I really do. I have been in many frustrating situations with hearing people telling me that because I speak too well, therefore I can hear well. :pissed:

I can relate to that. I don't speak to strangers as they'll assume I hear a lot better than I do because I've good speech.

People forget that I can't hear (I read lips) because I speak as though I don't have a loss at all...it gets old and frustrating to constantly have them turn around and have to remind them to face me, but it works...

Some people think just because I have cochlear implants, I will understand everything they say forgetting (or ignoring) the fact that I do not hear perfectly. :(

A very good friend of mine has mild hearing loss and gets frustrated when people tell her she only hears what she wants to hear. She also hates it when people think she shouldn't have any difficulty hearing just because she wears HAs.

Something else I can't stand is when the general public thinks I'm obligated to answer their questions about deafblindness, Braille, guide dogs, etc. and regards me as being rude if I don't.

I will tell anyone who asks all they want to know, but I do get frustrated repeating the SAME things over, and over, and over, and over...

I hate it when people slam on me because I'm HoH. They're always like, "You should've heard that. You can hear fine," or, "You deal with this every day. Suck it up." :(

You just described my family! I would love to take an interpreter with me and sit them down and yell at them in sign language. :pissed:

My wife gets frustrated when I keep asking her to repeat things and then I get frustrated because she says them snottily (did I just make a new word?) or says "never mind" or "it's not important".

Sigh.

Yea I can relate. I am profoundly severely deaf with a dB level of 120 in both ears but because I can speak so well ( according to hearing people) they think I should be able to hear better than I really do. I have been in many frustrating situations with hearing people telling me that because I speak too well, therefore I can hear well. :pissed:

Not only that, when I first got involved with the deaf community, I was called "hearie" with the sign on the forehead cuz I wasnt ASL enough. To this day, many deaf people think I am HOH or even hearing and I say no..I am profoundly deaf but I am not sure if they really believe me. I cant win can I? LOL

I never was refered to as a "hearie". I had to laugh one day though. One of my friends was ordering lunch at a restaurant and I was watching the poor server as he tried to explain what he wanted. The server was from somewhere in Asia and so had enough trouble with English, throw in a little Deaf Accent and voila! Confusion galore. I offered to help after about 6 attempts (I'm HoH and have often been told how I don't sound like I'm Deaf/HoH). He looked at me and said "Oh! I forgot, you CAN hear!" LoL I was happy that I was another "deafie" to him. :D Especially because I grew up in the hearing world, never even given the opportunity to try sign language.

Back