Hearie looking for good deaf community

TCcolumbia

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Sarah ( hearing/hearie)and I just recently graduated from Teachers College, Columbia University with my M.A in Teaching ASL. Now that I am finally finished with school I would love to live in a deaf community and teach there. I live in New York but am willing to relocate. I am asking YOU yes YOU, what deaf communities are out there.
Thanks
Sarah

Hi! My name is Sarah ( hearing/hearie)and I just recently graduated from Teachers College, Columbia University with my M.A in Teaching ASL. Now that I am finally finished with school I would love to live in a deaf community and teach there. I live in New York but am willing to relocate. I am asking YOU yes YOU, what deaf communities are out there.
Thanks
Sarah

TRY Minneapolis area. Just google up and see what out there.

NYC/Northern Jersey area has a huge deaf community.

If you want to move to somewhere new. There is several places that you could check out. But you want to teach in the school field.. would that be at the deaf school or public school with deaf program?

It depends where you are interest in like in your area of New York City, if that is where you live in. If not in a big city, you can try to go to Seattle, Washington where there is a Deaf communities and Seattle Central Community College with the Deaf program. I went there for college for two years.

Also you can try going to Albuquerque, New Mexico where there is a lot of Deaf people and there is interpreting programs at the University of New Mexico and maybe you can teach ASL to hearing and some deaf/HOH people how to sign at the university. My family lives there both in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Santa Fe, New Mexico(Santa Fe have a Deaf school). I had lived there before I moved to Canada.

I don't know but the only solution is to go to your college counselor or at the VR(vocational rehabilitation) you can ask the counselor about where you can go and teach ASL and be among Deaf/HOH people in their Deaf community. Just have to find the right place to look for and hope to settle one. Mind you, you need to travel first before you move so that you can study and learn if that is the right place for you to stay in.

Good luck!!! ;)

Thanks

Hey,
Thanks for the info. I will def check it out.... I am actually currently looking into Texas, Florida and or California... do you know anything about those areas??

It depends where you are interest in like in your area of New York City, if that is where you live in. If not in a big city, you can try to go to Seattle, Washington where there is a Deaf communities and Seattle Central Community College with the Deaf program. I went there for college for two years.

Also you can try going to Albuquerque, New Mexico where there is a lot of Deaf people and there is interpreting programs at the University of New Mexico and maybe you can teach ASL to hearing and some deaf/HOH people how to sign at the university. My family lives there both in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Santa Fe, New Mexico(Santa Fe have a Deaf school). I had lived there before I moved to Canada.

I don't know but the only solution is to go to your college counselor or at the VR(vocational rehabilitation) you can ask the counselor about where you can go and teach ASL and be among Deaf/HOH people in their Deaf community. Just have to find the right place to look for and hope to settle one. Mind you, you need to travel first before you move so that you can study and learn if that is the right place for you to stay in.

Good luck!!! ;)

Good luck!!! ;)

What was it like over at Seattle Central? I am at Bellevue Community College trying to take all of my ASL classes and then transfering over there for the Interpretership.

Hey,
Thanks for the info. I will def check it out.... I am actually currently looking into Texas, Florida and or California... do you know anything about those areas??

East Bay CA have a huge deaf community. I'm working on relocating to Bay area by end of this summer. :)

Good luck!

Hey,

There is only one place I know in California and that is CSUN which is a mainstream college with a Deaf program just like in Seattle, Washington. I have not been in California that long and there is lots of Deaf people in middle and north of California like Los Angeles and Riverside, California.

As for the two states Texas and Florida, I have never been there before so I don't have that experience in them. Hope that Helps? Good luck! :cool2:

Visit Gallaudet University.
You may ending up teaching at Gallaudet, or MSSD/KDES. ;)

What was it like over at Seattle Central? I am at Bellevue Community College trying to take all of my ASL classes and then transfering over there for the Interpretership.

I had not been in Seattle for a long time. I just went there in Seattle Central Community College for two years with a Deaf program and did not graduate because the subject (psychology) was too hard for me to understand. No one encourages me to stay on in college at that time. I don't think there is no interpreting classes back then. Maybe they might have interpreting classes now but I don't know so you might want to check it out in Seattle and see what they have to offer you for your interpreting classes. It is worth a try. Good luck!!! :cool2:

Thanks
Sarah

its like eeenie, minnie, minie, moe. There are so many places with lively communities that serve the deaf and HOH population well. You can probaly pick and not go wrong. If i had to say though id say Washington DC has the biggest community obviously with Gallaudet being the centerpiece but Austin, Texas and Los Angeles have thriving communities as well. Have fun. Live Fast and die young. And sign well. :laugh2:

Really?

Do you mean the East Bay, San Francisco area?* I am currently filling out a job application for a teaching ASL position out there. need a roomie??
East Bay CA have a huge deaf community. I'm working on relocating to Bay area by end of this summer. :) Good luck!

It would be a mainstream school .. with a teaching ASL program within their Foriegn Language department.

yup. The application is due at the end of this month so I may not hear back until Aug. But if they offer it to me and its a cool deal, then yeah really!

Back