Hear I go...

Chewie

Reaction score
Yes I meant to type "hear"!

I am headed to meet our newest patient who has been deaf since 18 months old.
I know some basic fingerspelling (self taught - thanx to the book and website suggestions of others on AD) and a few phrases...

Wish me luck.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

:Ohno:

If all failed. Hire an interpreter or ask if writing suits the patient.

By the way, are you compitable with medical marijuana?

Good Luck Chewie!!! I hope it all works out for you.

I knew you'd have my back on this one.

How do you sign "I feel like a total failure!" ?

I felt so out of place. The patient's daughter was there and helped interpret.
The patient wanted to teach me to fingerspell (which I kinda already knew) - so she was impressed that I knew that - but I could not keep up with her...
Let's just call her lightning fingers!

I also learned the signs for "tattletale", "confessed" and "brag"...I am not sure why those were the ones they chose to point out :giggle:

the patient said she liked that I laughed alot...and then began picking on her daughter (which the daughter did not fully translate, but I got the gist of what was being said.)
We signed "I Love You" as we left the room - which I sign to my kids anytime I leave the house or drop them off at school.

Thanks for the kind words, Jas --- see ya around AD, my friend!:dance2:

Just put an L in sign language and place it on your forehead.

No need to sign the whole sentence, matey.

As I learned today!

btw - it was supposed to be MARY Jane - not Many Jane...
See I can't even spell right - how am I supposed to sign correctly!

You don't spell in sign language or they will get sick of you. Like I said, impaitent.

You don't spell in sign language or they will get sick of you. Like I said, impaitent.

unfortunatly - this lady who is now 96 years old (and pretty set in her ways)
only signs about 25% and fingerspells everything else! even today her daughter was trying to work some flash cards with her and she wanted to fingerspell all the answers instead of signing.

tough to follow -

I knew you'd have my back on this one.

How do you sign "I feel like a total failure!" ?

I felt so out of place. The patient's daughter was there and helped interpret.
The patient wanted to teach me to fingerspell (which I kinda already knew) - so she was impressed that I knew that - but I could not keep up with her...
Let's just call her lightning fingers!

I also learned the signs for "tattletale", "confessed" and "brag"...I am not sure why those were the ones they chose to point out :giggle:

the patient said she liked that I laughed alot...and then began picking on her daughter (which the daughter did not fully translate, but I got the gist of what was being said.)
We signed "I Love You" as we left the room - which I sign to my kids anytime I leave the house or drop them off at school.

Thanks for the kind words, Jas --- see ya around AD, my friend!:dance2:

It seems like you did good. They left liking you. :) You brought back a memory of mine. My step mom (gone to heaven now) used to sign that to me in the window of KFC where I worked at. I'd be lost in my own little world and she'd catch my attention through the window as she drove by and sign I love you. It's a beautiful sign, the meaning behind it is.

Great job today!!!

unfortunatly - this lady who is now 96 years old (and pretty set in her ways)
only signs about 25% and fingerspells everything else! even today her daughter was trying to work some flash cards with her and she wanted to fingerspell all the answers instead of signing.

tough to follow -

Well, clearly, that aged lady has a lot of patient, I can imagine her daughter enjoying her lessons. Great shit, man.

Back