hear aid n cellphone

mayuri

Reaction score
i was born hearing bt at age of 16 i lost my sme hearing bt i started using hear aid at age of 21..say a year back as my loss was mild..i hve gain lots of benefit frm hear aids bt nt in case of cellphone...i fnd hrd to understnd speech while tlking on cellphone...i want to knw ur experience wid hear aid n cellphone n advice too...thnku

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Not enough info sorry

What brand and model are your aids and cellphone?

i was born hearing bt at age of 16 i lost my sme hearing bt i started using hear aid at age of 21..say a year back as my loss was mild..i hve gain lots of benefit frm hear aids bt nt in case of cellphone...i fnd hrd to understnd speech while tlking on cellphone...i want to knw ur experience wid hear aid n cellphone n advice too...thnku

Depending on your loss, the phone may or may not be a good fit for you as some phones work with hearing aids and some do not. You have to look at phone specifications or ask the retailer.

If the phone has a headphone jack or blue tooth, you can plug an FM system into it or hook up by Bluetooth which, if you have an FM system, will allow you to hear better.

If you have a smart phone, you can also use a relay service such as Sorenson or Captel and use a voice carry over option. You talk and a relay operator types back what the other person is saying.

My experience with profound hearing loss is: I cannot hear well enough on the phone to carry on a conversation so regular phone calls are not good for me.

Cell phone quality is a big issue for me and many others. If you can understand what people say without looking at them, then you might want to look into getting a direct connection to your hearing aids if possible.

Years ago, I could hear much better when I plugged my audio cables directly into my hearing aids. Many cell phone speakers are tiny and sound bad, and plugging a set of headphones into the phone can be a big help.

I use Widex and wear the Clear or Fusion 440 models. It is Bluetooth enabled so I can use the cellphone and be able to hear because the sound travels from the cellphone right to my ears, like listening to an iPod. Prior to Widex, I had to rely on speaker phones and naturally I can't really use the phones at work.

Laura

I use a neckloop and t-coils and it sounds a TON better than without the loop (duh, right?? hahaha). Do you have a t-coil?

i am using starkey iq 9 active cic n my hear aids dont have telecoil mode...they hve automatic phone response

You won't get much help from a CIC aid as they don't have all the added features that other aids.

To get small aids, you take away the features, 99% of the time :/

actually pple around me dnt knw i m hoh nor i want dem to knw n its d reason i hve chosen cic

actually pple around me dnt knw i m hoh nor i want dem to knw n its d reason i hve chosen cic

That's fair enough altho its better people know so they don't think you've been rude. But with CIC you won't get the added features that will help you with using the phone. That was your original question!

Depending on your loss, the phone may or may not be a good fit for you as some phones work with hearing aids and some do not. You have to look at phone specifications or ask the retailer.

If the phone has a headphone jack or blue tooth, you can plug an FM system into it or hook up by Bluetooth which, if you have an FM system, will allow you to hear better.

If you have a smart phone, you can also use a relay service such as Sorenson or Captel and use a voice carry over option. You talk and a relay operator types back what the other person is saying.

My experience with profound hearing loss is: I cannot hear well enough on the phone to carry on a conversation so regular phone calls are not good for me.

I am not sure how much of what I have added the bold to will be useful to the OP. I was about to suggest something and then thought to check location given in the OP — it is Agra, India. I think what they have available differs from what we have in the USA.

Oh, also, your cell phone may have a t-coil switch or setting. I would look for one and see if that helps. You can always turn it off if it doesn't.

Some cell phones also have a hearing impaired feature that boosts the in call volume if you can hear enough to use it.

how fm system work...wats it cost...my hear aids dnt hve bluetooth

how fm system work...wats it cost...my hear aids dnt hve bluetooth

Your aids won't be able to be connected to FM as well as your aids are CIC aids.

have any1 heard abt surf link cellphone launched by starkey...

I worked this up on another forum, with advice from participants. Perhaps it will help you understand the difficulties with your current CIC aids.

BTE=behind the ear RIC= behind the ear with sound production in the ear; ITE= full shell in concha, very obvious; ITC=in the canal, less obvious; CIC= completely in the canal, invisible but very miniaturized.

Advantages of BTE and RIC HA's:
1. More headroom for further loss.
2. You can place the temples of your glasses over the tube, but under the aid itself. This will give you an increased sense of security. If you keep your sunglasses on, that will also work.
3. Wax is not problem. Admittedly, salty sweat can be a problem with BTE's. Can be alleviated if you use a drier and have aids marked as water resistant.
4. Directional microphones.
5. Make adjustments of volume and programs in many cases without having to fool around with a remote.
6. T-coil gives better access to telephone.
7. Can be used with t-coil earhooks, Bluetooth, and other devices for listening to media.
8. Vanity is for fools.
9. Less occlusion problems.

10. Can have larger batteries which last longer.
11. If you have manual dexterity problems, less of a problem.
12. Placement is not as much of a problem.
13. More electronics, more programs, more gadgetry can be put into a larger aid if you want such things.
14. Not as visible as you might think, especially with open fit, tiny ones for minimal loss, and RIC.
If your loss is so severe that other adaptations need to happen, you can decorate them to make them obvious.
15. Related to number 3. Audiologists note that RIC CIC,and ITC hearing aids have a higher repair rate than straightforward BTE's. Rain, of course, can be a problem with BTE's, but this problem can be eliminated by carrying a headcover, or removing them when going out in the rain.
16. Generally, more miniaturization means a higher price. Thus, BTE and ITE aids are less expensive, while ITC and CIC are more expensive.

Back