Healthy snack

Where did you hear that? I eat Yoplait Light a lot! My nutritionist said a 6oz ANY yogurt is great for a snack and can be substituted for a glass of milk. I buy all different flavors and Yoplait is one of the few who actually use real fruit.

You need to read the labels, there is a difference between flavored and non-flavored. Checkout the non-fat Greek ingredients.

Instead of flavored anything, I buy watermelon or pinapple and cut it up. Don't be fooled, instant food is instant for a reason.

I assume that most big commercial crops like corn, wheat, soy as well as most major commercial food products are GM or have GMO's in them. Only way to avoid GMO's is with the NOP, though if you buy "big organic" the odds are higher that company or subsidiary has found some way to cut corners and get something through any loopholes in the Organic Program.

I don't shop at Whole Foods due to where they are in relation to me and I want to support my local co-op

tonight's snack will be tomato and olive salad with whole wheat bread for dipping:

Three tomatoes, diced
One half can black olives, pitted
Garlic powder
Basil
Salt
Pepper

You get the idea...

Enjoy.

A lot of those brands (Yoplait, Danone) use cornstarch as a thickener, and/or gelatine.
Chobani is super delicious Greek yogurt, one of the nicest I've tried. Not sure if you can get it in the US, but Astro is my favourite brand, and they use sugar rather than HFCS in their flavours.

It's a safe bet that most commercial brand yoghurts don't have live culture.

I just learned that Whole Foods is forced to accept produce from Monsanto...meaning they have to buy M's genetically modified vegetables and fruits. Just a heads up for anyone who shops at Whole Foods.

I'm curious to know more about this. Do you have a source?

Thanks for the links, Dogmom. I forgot to bookmark the thread and I have trouble keeping track of things here.

I've seen Food, Inc. Has anybody seen The Oiling of America? I would like to watch it, but my library doesn't carry it.

That was a frustrating read. We buy a lot of our groceries from a food co-op, and the distributor is UNFI.

When buying from a big producer, I prefer the label 'organic.' But when I buy local, I prefer 'natural,' because I have issues with some of the organic certification processes.

There's an organic dairy south of us, and they can't even wash the cow's udders with vinegar if they want to maintain organic certification. That's nuts.

commercial pizza isn't - but if you made yourself, it could be a healthy snack, depending on what you put on it.

no prob., Grayma
Big Organic worries me after the various takeovers and subsidiary issues. I also like to look at the third-party certifier - something like "Texas Dpt. of Agriculture" steers me away from that organic product while "Oregon Tilth" gives me a better impression.
I actually trust local or small certified organic more.

I've seen Food Inc, too. I think that was a fairly popular documentary even among the "non-organic" folks.

commercial pizza isn't - but if you made yourself, it could be a healthy snack, depending on what you put on it.

no prob., Grayma
Big Organic worries me after the various takeovers and subsidiary issues. I also like to look at the third-party certifier - something like "Texas Dpt. of Agriculture" steers me away from that organic product while "Oregon Tilth" gives me a better impression.
I actually trust local or small certified organic more.

I've seen Food Inc, too. I think that was a fairly popular documentary even among the "non-organic" folks.

Exactly. And my pizza last night was yummy.

VacationGuy, that salad looks really good:wave:

You can add a small amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (no substitute), but unless you exercise regularly I'd just use the tomatoes. Feel free to have one glass of white or red wine with it.

:wave:

Pizza isn't healthy snack.

Depends, try this:

Arnolds Whole Wheat Hamburger Rolls.
Brush lightly with Extra Virgin Oil
Cover with Kitchen Ready Ground tomatoes
Cover with Romano Cheese(I use regular but you can use low fat)
Add ground Oregano
Add Garlic
Add Basil
Add Salt
Add Pepper
Cover with Non-Fat Mozzarella Cheese.
Bake at 450 degree until cheese melts and oil boils a little or brown.

Very healthy Italian pizza without too much oil.

Eat with one beer..

Back