Health insurance for a Deaf person?

my work coverage every health benefit under private company.
If anything happen to me. I can get me fix quick than rather waiting unlike medicare or Canada's.

Health insurance varies from state to state but for my state, I am very happy with Kaiser Permanate...they always provide interpreters and believes strongly in health education/prevention, not waiting until last minute to get it "fixed".

Kaiser Permante covers many different states so you might want to look into that.

I have the same experience with Kaiser Permante too. My deaf friend finally got health benefits from her job so she cancelled the family's health insurance under her hubby's job to hers so she can get Kaiser Permante.

I am sorry Angel that KP did this to u. They have always made sure they met my needs at all times. Maybe it is cuz I live in an area with a large deaf population so this branch is much more aware of deaf needs?

I have heard Prudential covers CI stuff.
Not that I'll get CI :) Just hit up on that in google.

Sequoias: Maybe I should have asked about the most Deaf-friendly health insurance in USA, not one that IS suited for Deaf people's needs altho I have insurance that covers my hearing aids, so there should be something like that in USA. So - Just the lesser of all the evils, okay? ;) Kaiser seems like a possibility, since they provide interps and stuff. So sorry, Angel, that you are having insurance troubles.. those suck...

I know that United Healthcare will approve one CI but it is difficult to get them to approve bilatteral Ci if that is the reason for your inquiry. I had other insurance coverages through jobs I've had in other states and NONE covered hearing aids at the time. You might try talking to whatever maker of device or service you want and ask them what ins companies are best to have.

DC

Insurance, the necessary evil in our lives.

ran256 has not gotten HA because of the lack of coverage.
His Insurance, through his employer, says it will cover up to half. That sounds good but the small print says 'or up to $1000.00' which is less than the cost of one. OVRS has funding and could help with a some benefit but it would still be very short. However, if he waits until he is old and retires he will qualify for them fully paid. Crazy.

We both have seperate family plans through our employers and I do not think mine has any provisions at all for HA or CI.

I wish we could get Insurance totally out of the governments and employers hands. I can make better health decisions for myself and my family than can some executive in an office somewhere.

I thought most insurances do cover hearing aids and CI but depend on what state. For example, Florida does not accept it meanwhile NJ does accept it. Thats werid.

Well, I believe NJ, as of NOW, provide cover for hearing aids due to a bill being implemented. A bill called after a deaf person who fought for insurance to cover hearing aids and forced the NJ Govt to do something so they decided to legislate it in her favour as well many deaf people out there. This was done last year,I think.

Health care companies don't care if you're deaf or not, you get the same thing, depending on what they cover for your needs.

I don't agree with Sequoias' statement because of what happened to me. I lost my job and I won't be eligible for Medicare for 2 years. I tried to find a insurance on my own as I want insurance just in case of emergency. I was turned down because of my deafness. According to them, too many deaf people abused the insurance companies by asking for CI and getting CI and then drop the inssurance afterward. I didn't asked for CI while I was working. I ended up going with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Now I am on Medicare and still CI-free. I am worried that what would happen to deaf people if there is no insurance like BCBS.

I don't agree with Sequoias' statement because of what happened to me. I lost my job and I won't be eligible for Medicare for 2 years. I tried to find a insurance on my own as I want insurance just in case of emergency. I was turned down because of my deafness. According to them, too many deaf people abused the insurance companies by asking for CI and getting CI and then drop the inssurance afterward. I didn't asked for CI while I was working. I ended up going with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Now I am on Medicare and still CI-free. I am worried that what would happen to deaf people if there is no insurance like BCBS.

Have you heard of COBRA? In my research regarding insurance, it seems that this is government supported insurance for those who recently lost job.. temporary insurance.

Have you heard of COBRA? In my research regarding insurance, it seems that this is government supported insurance for those who recently lost job.. temporary insurance.

Yes it is temporary insurance but some of them can't afford.

COBRA was too expensive so I shopped around for cheaper one. BCBS is cheaper.

Back