Headset solution for MS Lync calls

Twiglet21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new hearing aid user (Siemens Impact Pro M) for moderate loss in my left ear, right ear is normal/ mild hearing loss with no HA. I work in IT and have to use a headset (earphones + mic boom) frequently to make Microsoft Lync and Skype type calls. Some of these calls can be up to 2 hours long, I've found that using my existing HP USB headset I get a sore ear from my ear mold if I put the earphone at the level of the hearing aid when on a call after about 5 minutes or the HA starts whistling. I have to shift the earphone completely away from my ear and listen with one ear only, or alternatively remove the HA during the call. I want to find a solution where I can make use of the HA and normal ear but not sure what to do and wonder if someone else has solved this problem, I can see several solutions:

1. Get a bigger or oversize ear cup for the headset so it fits over both my ear and the HA - is there anywhere to get these online?
2. Ask my audiology department to switch on the T-Coil setting on the HA and get either a Jabra or Plantronics headset with T-Coil option. Has anyone tried this and can you switch on T-Coil for one ear only or is it only for both ears? I don't want to just buy this headset as they are £80-120 so expensive if not a workable solution.
3. Purchase a Minitek and use Bluetooth from my laptop into the HA when on calls. Not sure if this is listen only or if you can do calls with a microphone as well. Again as Minitek appears to be £280-300, it would be expensive if it didn't' work.
4. Purchase a different headset with one earphone/ mic and not involve the HA at all.

From my internet research so far it seems most technology is focused on streaming sound into hearing aids via Direct Input, Telecoil or Bluetooth and is designed for 2 hearing aids but there's not much available for single HAs and integrating voice.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm currently in the same boat. I need to use MS Lync often but I have trouble getting enough volume out of my laptop. So far I've tried some USB Plantronics headsets, but still not enough volume.

My next move is to get my ComPilot adjusted a bit more and see if I can use bluetooth to send it directly to my hearing aids and rely on the laptop mic.

Bought Siemens Minitek

I bought a Minitek via Siemens and am pleased with the result. The Minitek knowledgeable audio at my local hospital kindly pre-configured my Impact Pro M for the Minitek which had to go to Siemens and they sent me the device. It was very easy to set up and get connected to my IPhone, IPad but more complicated with my Windows 7 laptop.

The Minitek provides the solution I was looking for in the first post, I now have a hands-free phone solution that works with my hearing aid. The cost of the Minitek was high at £400 (USD $600) but when compared to the overall price for a privately dispensed HA with Bluetooth solution for the same mid-range spec of HA, it's not too bad.

The Windows laptop was most fiddly to configure as you have to set the Minitek to be the default Playback and Sound Recording devices for it to work with Skype. On Windows 7, this is found by right-clicking on the sound icon in the system tray at bottom RHS of screen, you can also do it via the Control Panel, Sound option. I have a Toshiba laptop and had to play with the Bluetooth options to get it to recognise the Minitek automatically and even when configured it Windows 7 / Toshiba BT Stack still has a problem if the minitek is paired to an Apple device nearby. Once done I was immediately able to talk to a friend in Kathmandu, Nepal on Skype, and the Minitek performed very well.

I did find a problem on my IPhone 4G with IOS7. Music playback via the Minitek kept stopping intermittently on the iPhone, this didn't happen when the Minitek was disconnected. I found that if you go to Settings, General, Background Apps Refresh and switch that to Off this fixes the problem. It appears background content refresh interferes with music playback when you are using Bluetooth on the iPhone. Need to play with this a bit more to find out which app is causing this, though my suspicion is Facebook.

I cannot get the Minitek Bluetooth device to work with Google+ Hangouts. The problem seems to be with Google+ as you can configure the Bluetooth device to be the default Headset + Mic in Hangouts but Google just will not use it so you get no sound or voice. This seems to be a common problem if you do an internet search so is something Google need to fix.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to try it with MS Lync but I don't think this will be a problem.

Back