he can hear!!! (somewhat)

Hello, so glad to hear about your son! Hang in there you will be a pro in no time. So glad to hear some good news. Hope he enjoys his new HA.

my daughter was watching "rio" this morning, and he heard it! i was changing him and he was just turning around, looking for where the music was coming from..it made my day! he was also talking to himself too..i wonder when he will learn how to make sounds other than "ahh"?

Wow, that is fast progress! So great that he heard the music and started looking around for where it was coming from. And beginning to talk to himself - wow, that is really very, very fast, assuming he had not been doing that before.

It might be a while before actual words come out, but just what you've described sounds great.

If you read to him in a quiet corner away from the rest of the household noise, that will help him recognize and then form words on his own.

that is what i am hoping for..and since i have discovered a HUGE selection of books for deaf toddlers/children, i cant wait to get started! our whole family loves reading, and i think it will be great to have books just for him!
as for hearing the music..it was very exciting but other than that and another time, hes not noticing too much..but the whole chanting "ah" at himself has definitely picked up. i mean, he did it anyways but it was a lot louder, and now its still loud but not at top volume.

that's great and I'm so seeing Rio as I get that movie on xmas day or my bday in December.

my daughter was watching "rio" this morning, and he heard it! i was changing him and he was just turning around, looking for where the music was coming from..it made my day! he was also talking to himself too..i wonder when he will learn how to make sounds other than "ahh"?

There you go. His brain has begun to receive sound stimuli. Processing it to meaning will take some more time, but this is great news because he has begun the catch up process.

He will probably add the different babble sounds on the same schedule as your hearing children did. These sounds are added to the child's ability to babble as they increase their skill in using the tongue, the lips, and the vocal mechanisms. If there are certain sounds missing from his perception, say "S" for instance, he will either substitute, or omit those sounds.

that is what i am hoping for..and since i have discovered a HUGE selection of books for deaf toddlers/children, i cant wait to get started! our whole family loves reading, and i think it will be great to have books just for him!
as for hearing the music..it was very exciting but other than that and another time, hes not noticing too much..but the whole chanting "ah" at himself has definitely picked up. i mean, he did it anyways but it was a lot louder, and now its still loud but not at top volume.

I suggested the signed story books in another thread of yours. These will address several issues at once, and work, not just on vocab issues, but acquisition issues bilingually.

is this normal? he has a new little thing hes doing..when i talk, he likes to put his hand on my mouth and feel my mouth move while i talk..its adorable! he looks so very intent too.

is this normal? he has a new little thing hes doing..when i talk, he likes to put his hand on my mouth and feel my mouth move while i talk..its adorable! he looks so very intent too.

Maybe his delays are a lot more related to the deafness than anyone knew.

Very normal. He is wondering why you are moving your mouth since he has not been able to perceive sound. He is trying to associate mouth movement with what you are communicating to him.

i am hoping to god that they are...i seriously would do anything if that is the case!!!!
i also think that the last 3 months of focusing on him so intensely have helped too..of course he got attention anyways but we are all just doting on him.

I can't tell you how many times children have been said to have developmental delays by a doctor who simply did not pick up on their hearing loss, or the fact that certain delays are routinely seen in deaf children and should point to investigating their hearing abilities. It is much more common for a child to have a developmental delay than to be congentitally deaf. It really is low incidence, and developmental delays are so much more common that many doctors will just look there first.

My first word was Mama. I'm told that it came out umma. I was 3 then.

My first word was Blue at 5 years old. Dad told me I kept pointing and they couldn't work out what I wanted until I said blue. Dad said I wanted blue soft toy bird.

My first word was Blue at 5 years old. Dad told me I kept pointing and they couldn't work out what I wanted until I said blue. Dad said I wanted blue soft toy bird.

That is so funny: I said earlier that my son's first word was "bird", but it came out sounding like "Boo." The first few times he didn't get the "d" on the end. He could just as easiy have been saying "blue".:P

it is very normal. He is figuring out that when you move your mouth sounds come out... sounds he may not have heard before and he wants to know what they sound like, feel like, everything. I am thinking that his delays may have alot more to do with his hearing than anyone thought. just keep talking to him, keep signing to him, keep being the wonderful mom you are.

Back