having a tough time finding a summer job..

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I've been having a tough time trying to find a summer job..

I applied to 3 stores; Krogers, Bath and Body works and Marshalls. I applied to Marshalls two weeks before i got out of school, I have not heard from them. I also applied to krogers, a few days before i got out of school and as for bath and body works; still to hear from them. For some reason my friends have better luck than I am at finding a summer job, with the economy today, it sucks! I want to be able to make my own money and not have to ask my parents for money and they're getting tired of it too... I don't know where else to apply to. I'm definitely not applying to a fast-food store like McDonalds or Wendys, because i would be terrible at taking orders and because the term deafness would get into the way. I don't let my deafness stop me, but its something that would not be a good place for me to work at. Plus my parents doesn't want me to work at a fast-food store.

just venting out my frustrations here. Maybe some advice might be helpful? thanks!

Who says fast food all employees must take orders?

Here is the secret to future success, start with anything, that includes fast food, can flip hamburgers, wash dishes. That is what I did back then and it did pay off

Why fast food is best start? Number one reason is no one wants these job and when one take these jobs, whoever takes these job would prove they wanted to work. Most employer would rather hire those who really want work and is currently working.

I've been having a tough time trying to find a summer job..

I applied to 3 stores; Krogers, Bath and Body works and Marshalls. I applied to Marshalls two weeks before i got out of school, I have not heard from them. I also applied to krogers, a few days before i got out of school and as for bath and body works; still to hear from them. For some reason my friends have better luck than I am at finding a summer job, with the economy today, it sucks! I want to be able to make my own money and not have to ask my parents for money and they're getting tired of it too... I don't know where else to apply to. I'm definitely not applying to a fast-food store like McDonalds or Wendys, because i would be terrible at taking orders and because the term deafness would get into the way. I don't let my deafness stop me, but its something that would not be a good place for me to work at. Plus my parents doesn't want me to work at a fast-food store.

just venting out my frustrations here. Maybe some advice might be helpful? thanks!

Just to let you know how it is here. In 2008, 86% of high school students and recent graduates could get a job. In 2009, it fell to 76%, in 2010 it fell further to 52% and for 2011, it still went down to 48% and this year, it is dismal. Only 14% of the age 16-24 bracket will have a job for this summer. That's just in my county.

Keep looking and ya might hit a good nugget with a part time job or so.. trust me on this as I did that a few years ago and bingo I got 2 part time jobs which I currently am working now at both jobs.. would be wise to look around.. try resturants where ya can do dishwashing, dough work, prep cooking or so.. hope ya find a job that will help you out big time...

You can ask your friends if they try to get a job available for you.

Go door to door and offer to pull weeds or walk pets..... Maybe even care for pets while people are on vacation...be creative. I did this and made 10x what my friends working jobs made. You get to set your own hours too.

I do soon job :) plan information plan forward!! I best job soon summer July I think beleve it i see better soon plan best!

cant be picky about the hrs and days...most ppl dont want to work on weekends. I know it's harder to find a summer job.. people have to pay rent,ya know..try apply at landscape job and plant flowers and water them. You can go to SSA and talk to them. They help people with disabilities. Money is money.

Why not try to find places that needs seasonal help? See, many places are booming to keep up with demands of summer tourists. Take advantage!!!

Part of it is you are late looking. For years I have heard that many places do their summer hiring in the early spring.

Also, an earlier poster was right about fast food needing cooks, etc. not just cashiers. I have a friend (fully hearing) that worked an extra job as a cook at McDonald's and loved it. She first took it to help pay for getting an additional degree while teaching high school then took another one doing that in a different town after retirement.

Do you need money more or do you need experience?

Money's harder, you will have to keep it up and keep trying to where you want to go. It's all a luck game.

If you need experience for future job or whatnot, volunteering at police department, deaf club or other community areas are always open for help. It will help your future resume.

naisho ->
kickbut.gif
<-Sinned

Go door to door and offer to pull weeds or walk pets..... Maybe even care for pets while people are on vacation...be creative. I did this and made 10x what my friends working jobs made. You get to set your own hours too.

My niece made good money cleaning people houses and she can made her own hours to work. People also like to have their plants watered when they're gone on a long vacation and have someone buy some fresh food for the
refrigerator.

My soon to be 18 yr. son old got so lucky....he's working in construction, remodeling apartments...Making good money too, a very hard worker. He became sick the other day (from the heat) and had to come home early...but next day he was right back out there.

Feel these types of jobs will be more readily available, as the foreclosures of Homes..and people moving into apartments....

Have you tried getting a job as a house cleaner for homes or apartments?...Just a thought.

I know how u feel. Even though I am hearing many of the jobs I want will not take me in because of my age (I understand partially) but it should be about skill not age

My soon to be 18 yr. son old got so lucky....he's working in construction, remodeling apartments...Making good money too, a very hard worker. He became sick the other day (from the heat) and had to come home early...but next day he was right back out there.

Feel these types of jobs will be more readily available, as the foreclosures of Homes..and people moving into apartments....

Have you tried getting a job as a house cleaner for homes or apartments?...Just a thought.

I just posted that about house cleaning.

Back