Have you used ferrite clamps on your cables

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you used ferrite clamps on your cables and found them to be beneficial?

Was it useful; did it improve the performance of your electronics?

I don't see any PSU use ferrite. Just monitors, some USB ports that I know so far.

I don't recalls to see ferrite for any gasoline and diesel motor. No clue about ferrite improve the performance. Sometime, I saw it got broke then I rid of ferrite and nothing happen. Maybe it was for old electronics? I would be wrong. I believe ferrite design for DC only.

Question. Why you are so think of that?

I don't see any PSU use ferrite. Just monitors, some USB ports that I know so far.

I don't recalls to see ferrite for any gasoline and diesel motor. No clue about ferrite improve the performance. Sometime, I saw it got broke then I rid of ferrite and nothing happen. Maybe it was for old electronics? I would be wrong. I believe ferrite design for DC only.

Question. Why you are so think of that?
I was reading about it in my textbook. It recommended using ferrite clamps on cables to reduce electronic interference. I was curious if anyone tried that.

I was reading about it in my textbook. It recommended using ferrite clamps on cables to reduce electronic interference. I was curious if anyone tried that.

Make sense why all computer monitors still use ferrite. Maybe I would disassembly it from my monitor and see what's happen? :hmm:

Youre correct, basically most electronics manufacturer adds ferrite to their product when it fails the FCC electrical interference tests. If your product did not come with ferrite cables, you normally do not need it.

I never heard of ferrite clamps you mean to use on the cable for TV?
I was watching TV one day and notice the CC and the want being said was not the same . It sounded like a guy talking on a ham radio and the jerk was using my airway. I turned off my TV and waited a few minutes and turned it back on and it was OK again. This happen years ago . Some guy was using a ham radio and coming on my TV ! If happen again I will call the cops but I am not sure they'll be able to find the guy .

I never heard of ferrite clamps you mean to use on the cable for TV?
I was watching TV one day and notice the CC and the want being said was not the same . It sounded like a guy talking on a ham radio and the jerk was using my airway. I turned off my TV and waited a few minutes and turned it back on and it was OK again. This happen years ago . Some guy was using a ham radio and coming on my TV ! If happen again I will call the cops but I am not sure they'll be able to find the guy .
Cables can be vulnerable to electronic and/or radio frequency interference.

If a radio operator is interfering with your reception you should complain to the FCC. If it happened just once that was probably an accidental incident but if it happens often you should complain.

Cables can be vulnerable to electronic and/or radio frequency interference.

If a radio operator is interfering with your reception you should complain to the FCC. If it happened just once that was probably an accidental incident but if it happens often you should complain.

Thanks! I thought I imagine things at first but when I listened to the voice it was man talking instead the show I was watching. I will call FCC if does happen again. I wonder what they'll do , can they tell who has the ham radio ?

Thanks! I thought I imagine things at first but when I listened to the voice it was man talking instead the show I was watching. I will call FCC if does happen again. I wonder what they'll do , can they tell who has the ham radio ?
Technically they can, with time and effort, but practically speaking they might not want to bother. (Of course, if one of your neighbors has a huge antenna on his house, I would be suspicious. :giggle: ) It depends on how serious the interference is. That is, how many people are affected, and how frequent the problem is. If they know who it is they probably warn them the first time. If the problem persists I'm not sure what they do. It's been a while since I've dealt with radio operators (it was at a MARS station). Probably they would do something with licensing or fines. Anyway, they would be the contact, not the police.

Technically they can, with time and effort, but practically speaking they might not want to bother. (Of course, if one of your neighbors has a huge antenna on his house, I would be suspicious. :giggle: ) It depends on how serious the interference is. That is, how many people are affected, and how frequent the problem is. If they know who it is they probably warn them the first time. If the problem persists I'm not sure what they do. It's been a while since I've dealt with radio operators (it was at a MARS station). Probably they would do something with licensing or fines. Anyway, they would be the contact, not the police.

I did have trouble with a radio operator about 15 years , my ex husband made some phone calls and that helped. He was able to tell what the guy was saying , I could not tell. OK ,I will go look or houses with huge antenna .
I do have a hospital right behind my condo and they have an ER helicopter
landing pad , do you think that could had been what I as hearing?

I did have trouble with a radio operator about 15 years , my ex husband made some phone calls and that helped. He was able to tell what the guy was saying , I could not tell. OK ,I will go look or houses with huge antenna .
I do have a hospital right behind my condo and they have an ER helicopter
landing pad , do you think that could had been what I as hearing?
If it was it would be a freak occurrence, like a sunspot thing.

Reading this reminds me of an article about a man who hacked into Jail communications in Wisconsin and Lake County. He was arrested both times,and charged with felonies. Let me see if I can bring that up.

Back