Have you upgrade any hardware for computer?

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you upgrade any hardware for computer, including graphic card, CPU, hard drive, RAM, optical drive, motherboard, etc and monitors can be counted if you want too.

It's for desktop or notebook, Mac or PC.

It does included for planning to upgrade too.

Please be nice to each others, thanks.

For me, I had upgraded at several time.
Dell XPS 630, upgraded from GeForce 8800 GT to GeForce 9800 GTX and increased RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB.
MacBook Pro, upgraded the HDD from 120 GB to 320 GB and will planning to put more RAM but rather to focus on my PC at first time.

I will planning to upgrade the CPU to quad core or faster dual core and probably replace into different case due got sick of lights, not sure about graphic card.

I got new LCD monitor in last 1-2 month ago.

The way I keep up with the PC world nowadays is upgrade every ~5 years. Previously I used to upgrade like every ~1-2years.

I used to upgrade small bits and bits like the graphics card, CPU, etc religiously when something new came out. Then I realized it was all just a black hole for money for little improvement gains where you don't notice anything new. Upgrading sporadically every 5 years now, I can feel a performance difference and it feels like it's worth the money that I spent.

I started out with:
i286 - forgot stats
i486 DX 16MB Memory, 2MB Trident video card
Pentium II 350MHZ, 32MB Memory, Voodoo2 16 graphics card
Pentium III (FCPGA) 700MHZ> 733MHZ > 866MHZ > 1GHZ, 128MB Memory, Reused Voodoo2 > got Voodoo 3
AMD 2100 XP> 2400 XP > 3000 XP > 512MB Memory, GeForce 3 Ti200 > Geforce 4 Ti4200
AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle), 1GB Memory, GeForce 6600GT > ATi 1650XT - I still use this system today as my backup PC.
Intel C2Q6600, 2GB Memory, Geforce 8800 GTS 512 G92

Monitors went like
10" CRT > 12" CRT > 18" CRT > 20" CRT > 15" LCD > 17" LCD > 32" HDTV > 22" LCD > 24" LCD

A question...for you, Foxtrac do you really need a 320 GB hdd? Did you fill up your 120 GB hdd?

A question...for you, Foxtrac do you really need a 320 GB hdd? Did you fill up your 120 GB hdd?

lol it's never enough. I have over 1tb of hdds (7 hdds total). That's 1000gb.

I upgraded my system when it need to be upgraded. Recently, I upgraded my kid's AMD64 system memory to 1GB yesterday (got it free, long story tho). I planned to upgrade more later like adding new PCI-Express graphic card for it to keep kids happy.

MSI MS-7093 8Xtreme AMD64 mobo (formerly Emachine MS-7184 before hacked BIOS flash :evil::crazy::nana: )
AMD64 3500 (Venice core) 2.2 Ghz 939 pin processor
1GB DDR400
40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
16x DVD RW
Onboard ATI Xpress 200 (set to 256mb video shared) (Mobo have one 16x PCI-E slot ready)
450 watt power supply

My laptop need 2gb memory upgrade (at it's maximum limit).

I still use 40gb hdd on one system cuz they don't fill up the hdd tho. Even if I had 300gb, 500gb or 1TB hdd, It would fill 1/16th to 1/100th of drive space I would use and rest are wide open. It be nice if M$ add Virtual CD or DVD drive long time ago so that I wouldn't be swapping disks for games or movies :lol: (Of course I have Virtual drives installed anyway) . I would be careful not to store pictures and videos in big drive without backing up. I can't trust hdd at all.

My laptop have 60gb and still plenty of room to add.

As long as old system (between 2 to 4 years old) still works with any apps and runs fine. I wouldn't bother upgrading it. Memory and graphic are the issue that need to be upgraded in order to keep the speed and fluidity (smooth) of graphics for apps and gaming.. I am seeing more and more laptops and some PC scaling back to 900mhz to 2.2 ghz and add more memory due to power issue (like Webbooks using Intel Atom processor "single core") Are they going green Huh!??. I sure hope M$ fix their OS to make it load and run fast with less processing speed.

I think the thing for larger HD space is in retaliation to bittorrenting. You can never get enough. I tend to packrat useful stuff and random applications. But really I think it's the videos that take the most space. I probably have about ~300GB alone in movies and TV shows.

I think the thing for larger HD space is in retaliation to bittorrenting. You can never get enough. I tend to packrat useful stuff and random applications. But really I think it's the videos that take the most space. I probably have about ~300GB alone in movies and TV shows.

Wondering what your life will be like when Hdd crashed?? :lol:

I confessed.... yes 3 of my hdds are dedicated for BT-related. :cool2:

which is precisely why I have 3 hdds just for back-up purpose. I lost my personal files twice and it felt like I went back to Stone Age. :tears:

which is precisely why I have 3 hdds just for back-up purpose. I lost my personal files twice and it felt like I went back to Stone Age. :tears:

I understand how you feel about losing personal file :grouphug:. Been there, Lost that damn good softwares and I can't remmy what name of it. I am just a packrat on softwares.

Catty

I confessed.... yes 3 of my hdds are dedicated for BT-related. :cool2:

Sound like you have 4 SATA slot set to RAID (mirroring)?? (my current AMD64 MSI MS-7093 have 4 SATA slots too, Mirroring or "Striping" in BIOS option)

Been there, done that. Last data loss was like in 2003, on a 80GB HDD. What I do nowadays is I upgrade my HDD every time I'm going to upgrade my computer. I stick the old HD in another PC or use it on my backup PC's where I don't need to store data. I store stuff that I deem worthwhile on an external HD and keep it off when I don't need to use it. It's been working smoothly for 2 years as of date.

Been there, done that. Last data loss was like in 2003, on a 80GB HDD. What I do nowadays is I upgrade my HDD every time I'm going to upgrade my computer. I store stuff that I deem worthwhile on an external HD and keep it off when I don't need to use it. It's been working smoothly for 2 years as of date.

Using old Hdd as a external drive is a good one if you're not planning on leaving it running too long :rofl:

USB or Firewire External drive shell (either 3.5 or 2.5 hdd type) is cheaper than buying whole new external drive.

I do backup on old hdd that is known not been used often. My Western Digital Special Edition Caviar 8gb cache 7200rpm 40GB hdd was 6 years old and it crashed and had too many bad sectors when trying to repair it. It's platter lost it's "magnetic" strength over time. I dumped the drive in trash cuz It was the most heavily used and been through hundreds reformats (Formatted to win2000 then XP then multiude of Linux flavors, end of it's life was Ubuntu) :lol:

Sound like you have 4 SATA slot set to RAID (mirroring)?? (my current AMD64 MSI MS-7093 have 4 SATA slots too, Mirroring or "Striping" in BIOS option)

actually - only 2 of the hdds are SATA (inside my comp) and rest are EIDE... bought them from discounted sales... I use them as storages (bought external hdd cases for it)

I need 320 GB to make enough room for games to be installed for Windsows under bootcamp, need play during trip or out of desktop.

Recent games could take 6 GB to 15 GB per game, I had installed some games on external HDD via eSATA to save some spaces in internal HDD.

Of course, 120 GB were almost filled, won't enough.

I am looking for hard drive upgrade for my fiancee's Dell laptop L400

l400.jpg

That hard drive supposed to be 40GB but they switched hard drive to 10GB before my fiancee bought it. Someone is really stupid and don't know why they switched hard drive to 10GB and I need 40GB Toshiba 4200RPM 8MB cache hard drive back for that laptop and upgrade memory 128MB to 256MB SDRAM. I know that laptop is old but running still good but need two thing to upgrades and I plan install UBUNTU.

l400.jpg

That hard drive supposed to be 40GB but they switched hard drive to 10GB before my fiancee bought it. Someone is really stupid and don't know why they switched hard drive to 10GB and I need 40GB Toshiba 4200RPM 8MB cache hard drive back for that laptop and upgrade memory 128MB to 256MB SDRAM. I know that laptop is old but running still good but need two thing to upgrades and I plan install UBUNTU.

I hope that HDD worked on your laptop.. :)
Link: Newegg.com - 80GB, ATA-6, Laptop Hard Drives, Hard Drives

l400.jpg

Yep, you can get it at Newegg site or go to local computer shops it's cheaper than retail stores as poster said buy at Newegg, it's pretty good.

When my XP hard drive died on my lappy, I went to local computer shop and bought a lappy hard drive and ram. I get home.. Installed my new ram and hard drive into lappy and installed Ubuntu Linux.. everything work prefectly.

Oh, Ubuntu need to have least 768 MB or better. the 256MB tends slows down on the Ubuntu Linux.

im using a 160Gb on the c2d lapy as for data/files storage im plan to gea 1TB hdd and have it in the external enclosure., all done!

Back