Have you ever visited Martha's Vineyard?

oakbluffs

Reaction score
Martha's Vineyard is an island off Massachusetts. It's a beautiful place. The island is used to be full of deaf people. At one point, every 1 in 15 island residents was deaf. Martha's Vineyard is the birthplace of American Sign language.

That right Oakbluff. I have a paper somewhere about Martha's Vinyard stories. I will post it in here once I find it. :D

I've seen a book about the deaf history
at Martha's Vineyard (very interesting ! :)
I wish that community still exist there now. I was in
Boston area for a business trip and then I was planning
to visit Martha's Vineyard afterward for a couple of days
on my way back home, but something else came up.... Grrr.

P.S. I noticed where I currently live so many people
wore popular T-shirts/Sweatshirts with black dog logo
they actually were from Martha's Vineyard (Cool ! )

Last edited:
Ok I found my paper. It is 4 pages long so I am gotta do one pages at a time. LOL I aint gotta kill my hands for all that typing.

Here goes!!!!

Everyone Spoke Sign Language Here MARTHA'S VINEYARD

The fifth of April 1715, had not been a good day for Judge Samuel Sewell of Boston. On his way to the island of Martha's Vineyard there had been trouble finding a boat to cross Nantucket Sound. The vessel then lay for hours without wind and once it was across, the horses had to be pushed overboard to swim for shore on their own. Sewell and his company reached shore at dusk-cold, hungry, and in bad humes. Finding a ground of local fishermen nearby, the judge engaged one of them to guide him to Edgartown and later noted in his diary: "We were ready to be offended that an Englishman... in the company spake not a word to us. But," he continued by way of explaination, "It seems he is deaf and dumb."

This Englishman was indeed deaf, as were two of his seven children. His is the first responded case of what we now know to be a form of inherited deafness that was to appear consistently within this island population for more then 250 years and affect dozens of individuals. Probably one or several of the small number of settlers who originally populated the area brought with them a trait for hereditary deafness. As long as the "gene pool" remained limited in the small island population, this trait appeared with high frequiency to subsequent gernerations. PUt anotehr way, the founders of this isolated society had a greater likelihood of perpetuating the trait for congenital deafness then if they had been part of a larger, changing population.

Martha's Vineyard offers what I feel to be a good example of the way in which a community adants to a hereditary disorder. Lying some five miles off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, the island was first settled by Europens in the early 1640's. The population, of predominantly Endlish stodk with some admisture of indigenous Wampanoug Indian, expanded rapidly, owing to a tremendously high birthrate. Families that had fifteen to twenty children were not uncommon and twenty-five to thirty not unheard of. Although several hundred households are listed in the census records of the mid-eighteenth century, only about thirty surnames are to be found, and during the next century and a half only a handful more were added to the original group of names.

After the first generation, marriage "off-island" was rare. While Vineyard men sailed around the world on whale ships, merchantman and fishing vessels, they almost invariably returned home to marry local girls and settle down. Woman married off-island even less frequently then did the men. Contact with the mainland was said to be more sporadic than with foreign countries. iN the nineteenth century, islanders claimed that more of their men had been to China then to Boston, only eighty miles away. Even today, many islanders have never been to the island of Nantucket, barely eight miles to the east.

Thoughout, the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, marriage patterns on the island followed the customs of any small New England community. most of the islanders, however, could trace their descent to the same samll nucleus of original settelrs, indicating that although they were unaware of it, considerable "inbreeding" took place. The result was the during these two and a half centuries, within a population averaging little more then 3,100 individuals, hereditary deafness occurrred at a rate many times of the national population. For example, in the latter part of the nineteenth century, an estimated one out of every 2,730 Americans was born deaf. On Martha's Vineyard the rate was closer to one out of every 155. But even this figure does not accurately represent the distribution of deafness on the Vineyard.

Continue -----> tmw page 2.

Dang, Pommie, this is fascinating stuff! Deafies as whalers, sea-faring folk??? I had no idea! My mind is racing!

Yeah there was an article about the Deaf community on the Vineyard in Yankee magazine a few years ago.
so many people
wore popular T-shirts/Sweatshirts with black dog logo
they actually were from Martha's Vineyard (Cool ! )
I am from MA, and you see the Black Dog shirts and logos everywhere. They have even spawned a host of takeoffs....A few years ago they were selling shirts at my college with black squriells on them and the logo "The Black Squirrel" Westfield State College.

Being your neighbor, I should have visited their more often. But, I have been there once, back about 20 years ago. I want to visit again.

deafdyke said:
I am from MA, and you see the Black Dog shirts and logos everywhere. They have even spawned a host of takeoffs....A few years ago they were selling shirts at my college with black squriells on them and the logo "The Black Squirrel" Westfield State College.

I haven't even seen this black squirrel logo yet...I wish that
I can see what does it look like though... I just researched
discovering that most black squirrels are from further North
such as in Canada and Princeton NJ and
these black squirrels conserve heat better in the cold.

Thats why we tend to see more gray squirrels in Cambridge and
urban areas further south.

Good luck with your college ! Have fun at Martha Vineyards !

You from Western MA? Actually someone told me that there's a shop in town which sells Black Squirell Westfield sctuff.

deafdyke said:
You from Western MA? Actually someone told me that there's a shop in town which sells Black Squirell Westfield sctuff.

Deafdyke, who are u talking to Oakbluffs or me ?
No, I'm not from Western MA anyway....thanks.

Does anyone know the inside true story
about why or what happened and
how did they stop/destroy the
deaf community in Martha Vineyard ?

I've never been there before. I've always wondered what it would be like to visit there. Maybe, I'll visit that place sometimes in the future. ;)

Y said:

Hold your horses, Give me a chance to tell a story it 4 pages long. I am doing one pages at a times. I just got back from the eye doctor so give me a chance to get my eyes clear up. :D

Pomeranian said:
Hold your horses, Give me a chance to tell a story it 4 pages long. I am doing one pages at a times. I just got back from the eye doctor so give me a chance to get my eyes clear up. :D

ah alright, i could hardly wait to gallop my horses !
hope your eyes will recover sometime soon
:thumb:

Y said:

No, no, no, the deaf community wasn't stopped nor destroyed. Around 1880's, the island became more accessible to and from the mainland. Additionally, students left the island to attend ASD in Hartford. They stayed on the mainland after graduation. Or they brought their new spouses back to the island. Therefore, the special deaf gene eventually got wiped away from the island. The last known deaf resident died in 1950.

Allright guys, my eyes have recover. :D

Continue page 2 --->

Marriages were usually contracted between memebers of the same village, creating smaller groups within the island's population characterized by a higher frequeuency of deafness. The greatest concentration occurred in one viallge on the western part of the island where, by my analysis, within a population of 500, one in every twenty-five individuals was deaf. And even there the disribution was not uniform, for in one area of the village during this time period, one out of every four persons was born deaf.

The high rate of deafness on the island brought only occasional comment from island visitors over the years. Beacause most of the island deaf live in the more remote areas of the island, few off-islanders were aware of their presence. Vineyarders themselves, used to a sizeable deaf members. Almost nothing exists in the written records to indicated who was or was not deaf, and indeed, only a passing reference made by an older islander directed my attention to the fact that there had been any deaf there at all.

While most of my information on island deafness has been obtained from the living oral history of islanders now in their seventies, eighties, and nineties part of my genealogiical data was acquired from the only other study of this deaf population. I came to know of it when an 86 year old woman I was interviewing recalled that her mother had mentioned a "teacher of the deaf from Boston" at one time taking an interest in the island deaf. This "teacher of the deaf" turned out to be Alexander Graham Bell, who, having recently invented the telephone, turned his attention back to his life-long interest in deafness research. Concerned with the question of heredity as it related to deafness, Bell began a major research project in the early 1880's which was never completed.

Nineteenth century scholars, without the benefits of Mendel's concept of unit factor inheretance (which only received widespread circulation at the turn of the centruy, although it had been published in the 1860's), were at a loss to explain why some but not all children of a deaf parent were themselves deaf. Selecting New England because of the older and unusually complete records available, Bell believed that by tracking back the genealogy of every family with two or more deaf children, he could establish some pattern for the inheritance of deafness. He soon found that practicially every family in New England with a history of deafness was in some way connected with the early settlers of Martha's Vineyard, but he was unable to account for the fact that a deaf parent did not always have deaf children and so he abandoned the study. Although Bell never published his material, he left dozens of genealogical charts that have proved invaluable for my research particularly because they corroborate the information I have been able to collect from the oral history of the older islanders.

Since Bells's time, scientists have found through the construction and analysis of family pedigrees and the use of mathematical models, that congenital deafness may result from several causes. Spontaneous mutations involving on or more genes: an already established domenant or recessive inheritance, as Mendel demonstrated: or factors otherwise altering normal development of the ear and its pathways to the brain. Human populations, of course, cannot be studies with the same exactness as a laboratory experiment. However, the appearance of apparently congenitally deaf individuals is far too frewquent on Martha's Vineyard to be more coincidence, and the evidence collected thus far points to a recessive mode of inheritance.

While the genetic nature of the heritary disorder in small population is something that both anthropologists and geneticists have studies , there is another questions, rarely addressed that is of equal importance. How does the population of a community in which a hereditary disorder exists adjust to that disorder particularly one as prominent as deafness? in modern society the emphasis has been on having "handicapped" individuals adapt to the greater society. but the perception of a handicap, with its associated physical and socail limitations, is tempered by the community in which it is found. The manner it which the deaf of Martha's Vineyard were treated provideds an interesting example of how one community responded to his type of situation. "How," I asked my informants, "were the island deaf able to communicate with you when they could not speak?" "Oh", I was told, "therewas no problem at all. You see, everyone here spoke sign language."

From the late seventeenth century to the early years of the twentieth, islanders, particularly those from the western section where the largest numbers of deaf individuals lived, maintained a bilingual speech community based on spoken English and sign language. What is of particular interest is that the use of sign language played an important role in day to day life.

Islanders acquired a knowledge of sign language in childhood. They were usually taught by parents, with further reinforcement coming from the surrounding community, both hearing and deaf. For example, recalling how she learned a particular sign, one elderly woman explained.

When I was a little girl, I knew many of the signs and the manual alphabet of course, but I didn't know how to say "Merry Christmas." So I asked Mrs. M., his wife. She could hear and she showed me how. And so I wished Mr. M., "Merry Christmas" and he was just so delighted.

Continue -----> tmw page 3.

oakbluffs said:
No, no, no, the deaf community wasn't stopped nor destroyed. Around 1880's, the island became more accessible to and from the mainland. Additionally, students left the island to attend ASD in Hartford. They stayed on the mainland after graduation. Or they brought their new spouses back to the island. Therefore, the special deaf gene eventually got wiped away from the island. The last known deaf resident died in 1950.

There were some rumors going around that
hearing people destroyed this deaf community
in Martha Vineyard. Now it seem like a False rumor.

Who was the last deaf resident died in 1950 ?
His or her name should be printed in the history
book hopefully...

Y said:
There were some rumors going around that
hearing people destroyed this deaf community
in Martha Vineyard. Now it seem like a False rumor.

Who was the last deaf resident died in 1950 ?
His or her name should be printed in the history
book hopefully...

There were no rumors.

There is a great book called "Everybody Spoke Sign Language" by Nora Ellen Groce. You should get a copy.

Back