Have You EVER Taken ASL Classes?

Have You Taken Up an ASL class?

• We, the deaf and HoH people, can take up ASL classes? I didn't know that...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
--For Deaf people Only--

(since we already established that hearing people have been taken ASL classes)

Have you ever taken up an ASL class?
Why or WHY NOT?

If you think about it, the hearing people have been taken ENGLISH classes even though they already know the language?! Why bother? They take English to refine and tune up their proficiency with English...

Why don't Deaf do the same with our language, American Sign Language??
So that way we don't get our hands muddled up with PSE, SEE 1, 2, and those other confused attempts to curb ASL.

(This poll is inspired by a poll posted on AlLDeaf to determine whether CI does ruin the Deaf Culture or not.)

No, I haven't taken any ASL classes. I could sign up for one at local university or college if I want to, but it's hard to see the point in that as they're often for the beginners.

I'm already fluent in ASL, but I can understand why it would be necessary for deaf students to take up ASL classes in school as we are also required to take English classes.

If there are ASL classes tailored for Deaf (instead of teaching basic words like "baby", "mother", etc) with lessons of syntax, grammar rules, proper non-manual markers (facial expressions) along with some deaf behavioral norms (flashing lights, "whispering" in signs), will you sign up?

There have been talks around here about establishing ASL classes *FOR* Deaf/HoH people....

We have 2 deaf students at the university where I work enrolled in ASL classes this quarter. One has been deaf since birth, but was mainstreamed using an interpreter and PSE, and has had a CI for several years now. He want to be a deaf educator inthe elementary grades. The other is HOH, lost her hearing at the age of 14, and was mainstreamed in an oral program. I think its great that they are taking classes and broadening their language skills. Both have hearing families.

Even though I am a tutor at a local community college, leading ASL lessons in the language labs, I still think I would like to enrol into one of these ASL courses designated for deaf people. I'm always looking for room to expand and knowing what is appropriate to manipulate my signing with usage of classifiers and other features such as NMM. I have caught myself using wrong NMM with questions. Heh. The recent Dealympics here in SLC was a quite a challenge for me but it was fun using gestures and classifiers with foreigners.

If there are ASL classes tailored for Deaf (instead of teaching basic words like "baby", "mother", etc) with lessons of syntax, grammar rules, proper non-manual markers (facial expressions) along with some deaf behavioral norms (flashing lights, "whispering" in signs), will you sign up?

There have been talks around here about establishing ASL classes *FOR* Deaf/HoH people....

Yeah, I would definitely sign up.

They are starting a program for deaf students at the college where I work, and students will be required to take ASL as well as English and other classes. All designed for deaf students.

They are starting a program for deaf students at the college where I work, and students will be required to take ASL as well as English and other classes. All designed for deaf students.
Interesting.

I wish they would implement that in the high schools, too.

That's terrific. Progress is slow, but it is happening!

Guess what? You're really big "For Deaf People Only" doesn't show up until AFTER you vote. You probably should have put that in the topic title.

Either that or I just can't read. So subtract 1 hearie vote.

Yes, I took ASL I to 4 cuz I didnt know any ASL when I enrolled at ASU. I just took ASL I to see what it was all about. After that, I was hooked and then I realized how much I missed out a lot growing up so taking ASL classes was a major wake-up call for me and the beginning of my acceptance of my deafness. :) I thank god that ASU offered them as a foreign language requirement. :thumb:

No, I didn't take ASL classes because ASL is my native language. I grew up in the ASL culture so spoken English is my "second" language. But I can certainly see where it ( ASL classes) would benefit other deaf and h/h people who are not familiar with ASL , ESPECIALLY (emphasis mine) parents of deaf children in their formative years.

i told my mom this evening about i did taking ASL classes? and my mom says no but im learn sign languages from another school long time ago

when im learn sign languages at ages 5 years old and im learn sign languages but im not going ASL classes when i was baby at 10 month old that why im become deaf when i was grew-up till im become adult.

I've never taken an ASL class before, but I did help a teacher in my local community college once.

I don't know if I would take any ASL classes myself because I am already satisfied with how I sign. :dunno:

I'm still learn. I have master the wonderful teacher and I'm her apprentice.

Yes, but hearing kids in the U.S. who grow up with English as their native language must take years and years of English classes.
Heh, heh, and Professor Henry Higgins would say even that's not enough. :D

EH102 at UAH... and hopefully the last one i ever take. lol.

i'm learning asl, but i'm hearing, so it don't count, i guess. heh.

I did. And the instructor, she was Deaf herself. I pretty much knew most of what she taught, but I thought it would be interesting to take her class at the college. It was a fun class. I was hoping to learn more or something new and different from her class, but this class was basically a beginner's ASL class.

Back