have you ever been discouraged from choosing NTID?

rjr2006

Reaction score
have you ever been discouraged from choosing NTID?

My high school transition coordinator and BRS (VR in CT) are going to work together with me on deciding which colleges are best for me. I told my deaf VR counselor that I believe that NTID is best, however she and transition coordinator are trying to discourage me from choosing NTID and instead, they prefer me to attend a hearing college in CT so it would be easier for BRS, just because I am physically disabled. My CT PCA Waiver cannot be used outside the state so that is the cause for me. NTID admissions department told me that I will have more access to activities and clubs with interpreters, unlike hearing colleges.

TRANSITION COORDINATORS often FORGET THAT i AM DEAF TOO

I think you should really fight for going to NTID.....argue that you're also deaf, and that you won't have equal access to classes and a social life if you have to depend on an interpreter.

I hate when people do that. They say one thing, but are actually biased because of their other unrevealed intentions. :nono:

Don't let them control your college plans. If they threaten to not sponsor you fianancially, look for other means of paying for your education. Ask the fianancial aid dept at NTID to see if you can get some assistance.

rjr2006 said:
graphic design

Oh that would be perfect for you to going to NTID. I heard so much about NTID and RIT are fabulous technology. I always enjoyed to take course there when they have a offer a workshop. My company paid me to going to RIT once a while. I really enjoyed to walk around beautiful campus and meet alot of people.

I must admit that I envy you. rjr2006 to enroll NTID at your age. I wish, I would go there during my senior year. I rejected it because I was engaged to the jerk guy. I regret to decline to enrollment NTID in 1977.

I bet, you will enjoy NTID every moment. You will admire their technology to match your major !

NTID/RIT is very very excellent, IMO. When I visited there, I got the feeling everything, and I mean everything was tip top. I had questions and i got answers promptly. The finaincal aid person I spoke to was very very nice and accomodating, and I have no doubt in my mind she will go out of her way to help you. I should dig up her name and e mail address for you later.
I went to Gallaudet to look around and ask questions. I ask some questions and the rep I spoke to send me to someone else. Then that person send me back to the same rep I just soke to. My Dad who was with me said he got the feeling they were not coordinated at Gallaudet. At RIT/NTID it was exceptional. RIT/NTID also has a really good job placement program that helps deaf graduates immensely.

Since I cannot edit my post to add this contact info, I m posting it. I could not find the Finanincal Aid name and address, but I found a person's contact info and that person will help you find answers to any questions you may have and also refer you to the finanical aid department.
John Reid Senior Admissions Counselor
Office of Admissions
585-475-6700(Voice or TTY)
John.Reid@rit.edu (e-mail)
WWW.rit.edu/ntid/myfuture (Website)

VamPyroX said:
I hate when people do that. They say one thing, but are actually biased because of their other unrevealed intentions. :nono:
yeah, because I am fighting for my right at my volunteer work to get more breaks and I have a very bad transition coordinator, whom trained the job coach to treat me like nothing. my boss said that it is fine for me to take thirty minutes of break, but the job coach only gave me fifteen minutes of break time and he doesn't understand my deafness AND cerebral palsy! What an ass the transition coordinator and job coach is and I don't like when they think that disabled people are not human beings!

Batou said:
Since I cannot edit my post to add this contact info, I m posting it. I could not find the Finanincal Aid name and address, but I found a person's contact info and that person will help you find answers to any questions you may have and also refer you to the finanical aid department.
John Reid Senior Admissions Counselor
Office of Admissions
585-475-6700(Voice or TTY)
John.Reid@rit.edu (e-mail)
WWW.rit.edu/ntid/myfuture (Website)
thanks, man! mom and I are going to get the doctors to write a letter in October, proving that I cannot be injured in any way from working too much in college. I hope that NTID professors would understand my physical disability :sure: , otherwise I would have to explain what is CP and how it affects me from functioning properly in higher education.

I was thinking about goin to NTID/RIT but decided not to because they don't have my major plus I want to stay in MN to be close to my friends and family plus I have jobs here... I heard it is good school but it is not for me.... They can't stop you from going there because you are in wheechair... Some of my friends who are deafblind, they go to NTID, what is wrong with that?

racheleggert said:
I was thinking about goin to NTID/RIT but decided not to because they don't have my major plus I want to stay in MN to be close to my friends and family plus I have jobs here... I heard it is good school but it is not for me.... They can't stop you from going there because you are in wheechair... Some of my friends who are deafblind, they go to NTID, what is wrong with that?

are your deaf/blind friends on Medicaid and living in same state while at NTID outside THEIR HOME STATES? Connecticut is my home state. I am also on Medicaid because of my physical disability, however my CT PCA waiver cannot be used out of Connecticut so I have to use my Medicaid to PAY FOR PCAS outside CT...

rjr2006 said:
are your deaf/blind friends on Medicaid and living in same state while at NTID outside THEIR HOME STATES? Connecticut is my home state. I am also on Medicaid because of my physical disability, however my CT PCA waiver cannot be used out of Connecticut so I have to use my Medicaid to PAY FOR PCAS outside CT...
well, I am not sure about their health insurances since its none of my business, but some of them live outside of NY, their VR help them pay for go school, some of them like myself applied for FASA and got approved to go to school.. oh man, it sucks that they won't let you go school outside of CT..

rjr2006 said:

Suppose you "moved" to NY. :D

My first choice of the college I used to plan on applying and enrolling was Galladuet. However, I thanked my High School guidance conselor for discouraging me to go to Gally. If it was for Gally, my life and time being there would be totally wasted and damaged for sure.:fu:

today was very stressful and my mom called my guidance counselor about my concerns about transition coordinator. then my transition coordinator came to my math class AND SHE WAS PISSED OFF at me! tomorrow I am going to see my guidance counselor and try to get rid of transition coordinator so that I can have extra time to get homework done, because of my physical disability, I need more time to finish h/w and get good grades. See my thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?p=373558#post373558

As for NTID, I am going to apply in October and I am fighting for extra time to finish h.w during my free time and that way, I can do projects outside school without worrying about homework, and I am doing EVERYTHING that I need to do in order to make dreams come true. TIME MANAGEMENT is very significant for me and HW COMES FIRST instead of wasting time when the transition coordinator talks 2 me.

Also, my deaf friend and I talked on AIM and he said that he went through the same way as I am currently going through. He is suspended from NTID due to academic problems and he wants to go back there and that he said that I am smarter than him (he has learning disability) . his mother, who used to be my middle school paraprofessional, said that she really wants me to go to NTID, because it's perfect for me since I am deaf and have secondary disability.

Back