Have severe or complete ossification and think you can't get CI?

SkullChick

Reaction score
You're wrong!
Here's the hope, Cochlear America and Med-El have special split electrode array to push through the bony growth and if you have complete ossification surgeon can perform 2 cochleostomies to create hole at the basal and apical of the cochlea to insert split array in to get the access to get simulation sites!
Here's the link on special electrode array option on "special electrode designs"

Cochlear Implants

So if you have "dead ear" you never thought you could get CI or get any hearing, here's the option you can get now!
How do you get it?
Ask your current audiologist to perform hearing test in sound booth with and without hearing aid on, do speech test and then ask her/him to refer you to ENT or CI surgeon to discuss further about CI and then surgeon or ENT will order CT scan or MRI scan to see how much ossification you have to discuss some options or what he/she can do. And then after the testing they will declare if you are candidate or not and if you are they will schedule your surgery and then once you have the surgery you will have to go through recovery period usually 4 to 6 weeks before you get your CI activated.
CI activation expectation:
- most people experienced odd sound such as heliumized voices, squeaky, robotic, beepy, ding, anything out of ordinary.
- keep expecation low and have a lot of patience and high motivation
- I promise you after a while and few or many mapping it will normalize or sound better and more clearly.
- get more familiar to the sound you are hearing such as microwave beeping, car blinker light, female voices, male voices, music, clock ticking, bird singing, etc once you recognize all those sound, things will start to sound different and more richer in sound instead of same "beepy" sound.

If you have more advice, go ahead and add. If you have ossification and now begin to consider CI reply on here so other user can read about you and if you begin journey we all will like to keep updated please thank you

-Amy

I agree with your post. I don't believe about people said they can't get CI because of dead ears and dead nerves system. It can't be possible. I has 110db profound deaf.. I am feeling my ears are dead and can't hear anything anymore. I need CI for my new life in future.

Serve/Profound deaf can get CI. I am happy for you to have an implant to hear. :)

Yep, if you have normal cochlea, no ossification you can get normal electrode array no matter how profoundly deaf you are.
I'm curious when will you ask ENT or CI surgeon about getting CI so you can do all test to see if you will be approved?
And how much can you hear with hearing aid and do you still wear them?
Can you understand anything with them?

I agree with your post. I don't believe about people said they can't get CI because of dead ears and dead nerves system. It can't be possible. I has 110db profound deaf.. I am feeling my ears are dead and can't hear anything anymore. I need CI for my new life in future.

Serve/Profound deaf can get CI. I am happy for you to have an implant to hear. :)

Yes, they can. But, they also have to be declared a candidate. You don't just go and say "I want a CI. Please schedule surgery." :roll:

Yep, if you have normal cochlea, no ossification you can get normal electrode array no matter how profoundly deaf you are.
I'm curious when will you ask ENT or CI surgeon about getting CI so you can do all test to see if you will be approved?
And how much can you hear with hearing aid and do you still wear them?
Can you understand anything with them?

In first place when I was 18 years old. My ENT doctor suggest me to get CI. I told him no. After I graduated from High School. I moved back to my hometown. VR found an ENT doctor for me to get a new hearing aids. I took a hearing re-test. They found it out. I has 110db. The doctor suggested me to get CI. I told him NO. I used to against CI when I was teenager. I can hear with hearing aids. It's not 100 percent perfect. I can hear my dog's barking, music, many noises unlike CI with soft sound. I has been wear hearing aids in my whole life since I was 2. When I met my husband at work. He is hearing. He wanted to learn sign language to communicate with me and his deaf nephew. His nephew is plan to get CI. My husband didn't force me to get CI. I has cousin have 2 CI. I changed my mind and want to learn about CI. I realized what I done in past. I started to cry and feel guilty for against CI. I was consider to get CI for new life. I decided to be open mind and want to learn.

I have a liver surgery next week. After surgery done it and make a call to ENT for CI. I am looking forward to hear from ENT doctor. Thank you for asking me. :)

P.S. Yes, my cochlea is normal.

Last edited:
I have a liver surgery next week. After surgery done it and make a call to ENT for CI. I am looking forward to hear from ENT doctor. Thank you for asking me. :)

Pinky,

I wish you a smooth recovery from your liver surgery and nothing but success with getting a CI! If you ever have any questions about CIs (although I know you've been doing your own research), please feel free to send me a PM anytime. :) Speaking of which, I know you sent me a PM a *long* time ago which I never answered. I'm sorry about that. Sometimes I don't check my PM's as often as I should and people who send me messages get ignored. :(

Ugh my sidekick didn't send my loooooong reply I will reply to pinky last post later when I have time

Pinky,

I wish you a smooth recovery from your liver surgery and nothing but success with getting a CI! If you ever have any questions about CIs (although I know you've been doing your own research), please feel free to send me a PM anytime. :) Speaking of which, I know you sent me a PM a *long* time ago which I never answered. I'm sorry about that. Sometimes I don't check my PM's as often as I should and people who send me messages get ignored. :(

:ty: You're sweet. I can ask you on PM. I am waiting for your respond me. :( I understand that you're busy and not use PM that much. I want to ask you the question about deaf/blind for CI.

Pinky,

Psst: I sent you PM today. :)

I still need to get CAT scans done of both cochleas. I do want to know for sure if there's any ossification in the left cochlea, and if there's ossification, how much? Then if I go forward with the implant process, this will help me decide which implant to get, since AB doesn't have split arrays like Cochlear does.

Back