Have deaf kids

Why are you telling her Iowa if she lives in Chicago?

Iowa School for the Deaf is on the Nebraska border, a long way from her.

She doesn't live in Chicago, that's the thing. Look at her earlier post.

What? She clearly states she is in the Chicago area.

That means she lives in the region. She didn't specifically say she lived in Chicago itself. Living in Chicago and living in the suburban areas are two very different things, and I've done both. Now, the Chicago area is covered by six counties-- Cook, Dupage, Lake, McHenery, Will, and Kankakee. That covers the Chicago area itself, so she could be anywhere. I have lived here nearly 14 years, and would know the difference.

That means she lives in the region. She didn't specifically say she lived in Chicago itself. Living in Chicago and living in the suburban areas are two very different things, and I've done both. Now, the Chicago area is covered by six counties-- Cook, Dupage, Lake, McHenery, Will, and Kankakee. That covers the Chicago area itself, so she could be anywhere. I have lived here nearly 14 years, and would know the difference.

Lovely.

I can read a map and try really hard to explain to you that the Iowa Nebraska border is almost equally far from any of those counties....

Impractical.

Shh......

Lovely.

I can read a map and try really hard to explain to you that the Iowa Nebraska border is almost equally far from any of those counties....

Impractical.

Shh......

No worries. I had to memorize the border counties for travel purposes, so that when I'm on either the Metra or Amtrak, I'll know where I'm at. Ironically, the last county my Amtrak line goes through is Kankakee before I leave the Chicago region.

His preschool has 1 teacher for like 6 kids. But it's a total communication school. I'm not aware of any deaf school in our area (Chicago)

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

So he's all set for preschool? Maybe ask the teacher what kids do (educational placement wise) after the preschool? At least you have the preschool!

Exactly. The preschool goes up to age 5 and to my knowledge they have an elementary school as well. I'm taking things one step at a time so I'll start thinking about elementary when that time gets closer

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Exactly. The preschool goes up to age 5 and to my knowledge they have an elementary school as well. I'm taking things one step at a time so I'll start thinking about elementary when that time gets closer

They have an elementary school as well? WOOHOO! So basicly its a formal program,and not inclusion. Just hope its a sizable good program......and who knows? Maybe they might change to bi-bi in the inteirm......At least you have that program and at least you have time to investigate other options/placements....there's a lot of options and possible placements.........there are even Catholic and Christian Schools for the Deaf!
I know kids who were in regional programs and did well. Some of them can be very good! I was just throwing out some other ideas for placement for the future.....Did you know that Texas School for the Deaf is now one of those schools that people move for?

I didn't. I looked at houses in the Jacksonville area yesterday. Cheap houses. The problem with moving is my husband is in the union and Chicago has good jobs for him. We will have to see what direction the boys end up taking. I'd hate to move and then have them decide against asl. I do think that their hearing loss is progressive. Aidyn wasn't born with hearing loss he passed the newborn screening.

It's good that you're keeping all the options open! Maybe you could move closer to Chicago for the Children of Peace School if they tend towards ASL.
I have noticed that kids who are more ASL "monoglot" (ie they don't have verbal English skills) may feel left out in programs where kids are orally skilled and Sign.......so you may have to move to a program that may have a large variety of dhh kids,if they do turn out to be more ASL "spoken language monoglot".......I think they'll pick both speech and Sign up,and be well served by most Deaf ed programs.......I do know that my friends at Signing Deaf Schools have said they think their students seem more oral....while still signing.....So even if your kids are very orally able, ASL will prolly be a great second language for them! Heck, almost all oral kids could significently benifit from being bilingal! Just b/c a dhh kid has good HOH skills, it doesn't mean they wouldn't benift from ASL and/or Deaf ed The argument right now is over which language should be a dhh kid's first language..

Back