Have been very depressed /:

My hearing loss is surprisingly similar to yours. Only difference is I now have a CI in the one ear that had no response and wear a hearing aide in the one that has some hearing. My loss was over a twenty year period and I was lucky to have been able to get through college and most of my working life.

& how's everything going for you now ? Has it gotten easier or are you still getting used to all of this ?

Life is sometimes not easy.

Sometimes things just happen and you just have to find a way to overcome it.

I was born with hearing loss in both ears - but it wasn't severe though think one ear was mild.

When I was 9, I was in a car accident and 2 months after - my hearing started to drop. It took about 3 years until it got to a point where I had profound hearing loss in both ears.

When I was 12, I got asked if I wanted to get a cochlear implant and so I tried it, and it has worked for me.

I don't know about you, but every time I was told - your hearing has dropped - I didn't let it bother me. I just lived my life and be myself.

And life is sometimes short. And I found that out when my mom passed away when I was 18.

So please don't let it bother you. If there are things that is making you frustrated, like talking to people on the phone, there is devices that could help.

And remember, you're not alone. Meeting other HOH/deaf people also really helpful. As hearing people.

My best friend is hearing, and I pretty much had to teach her what to do and not to do around me - like making sure she faces me.

Not sure what is making you sad, but don't let it get you down. There are sometimes the good things like sleeping through a thunderstorm and hearing my family say I was lucky to sleep through it.

There are the bad things too of course, the frustrations. But I just sometimes try do things differently and even I have my fears like one is with driving.

But I try take my time, and not force myself into doing things.

Back