Have anyone beeon on the Amtrak train before?

Oops I forgot to mention that I already took
the Amtrak a few times before....

BUT, I am thinking about put my own car
on the Amtrak and go down to Florida
checking some of my family members there
and then drive my car back home.....

I wonder if anyone ever tried to put their
own car in Amtrak ? Worth it ?

I've ridden Amtrak multiple times... Don't worry about it too much. Just hop on the train, find a seat, stow your luggage in the overhead and do whatever until you arrive.

A looooong time ago, my mom and step-dad took the Amtrak Autotrain. They, and their car, rode the train from Connecticut to Mobile, AL, then drove from AL to Pensacola, FL (our house). Then, they drove to Daytona Beach, FL, for a short visit, and then put the car back on the train for the trip back to CT. They enjoyed it very much.

Hubby and our daughter took the Amtrak from Charleston, SC, to CT several years ago. They had a great time. No driving stress, and they were very comfortable. Their only complaint was the food was much too expensive.

The last time I rode a train was before Amtrak took over the CT/NY commuter trains, so I really can't compare that.

I've ridden on Amtrak train once back in summer 1987. I was with my deaf ladies trip to Indiana from Washington State. It was a 2 1/2 days travel. We could sit anywhere we like and put legs up on something and relax. At that time, I can't afford to buy a snack or foods at train cafeteria because of very expensive prices. We walked through a car of trains and sat down in upper level had sightings by huge windows. Beautiful view sightings. In my time, I bought a ticket was about $125.00 for round trip. Now, it costs too pricey about $500.00 and up (depends on how close to locals or states in between). Come to my surprised, Amtrak and Greyhound bus are about the same price on same distance (for example, from West to East) than Airlines. :-( Greyhound can be not too comforting to sit too long. Disadvantage is have to get off the bus and wait for 10 minutes to grab snacks or stretch out or bathroom and get back on bus. I would prefers Airlines or driving car. Greyhound bus is fine for short distance. JMO.

There are some disadvantages and advantages on bus and train.

BabyKat said:
I am asking for those who have traveled on this train before...and share this experience with me. I am going to see a friend of mine named Amanda from Feb. 26th to March 4th. I will be leaving 8 am then arrive in Chicago at 10 am. It will be my first time on train and also I will be alone. I have never traveled alone :eek:...always with someone. Jeremy will be working first shift but his sister Jessie will babysit our kids until he gets off from work.

Have anyone traveled alone on this train? Will I be safe? :/ Any advices, suggestions and tips for me? :ty:

Those trains are really fun. I hope you don't have motion sickness because they rock a bit. The food is really great, too. They have a dining car, but I think it's only open at certain hours. Everything will be fine. Have a great trip!

Back