Have any of you guys bought a HA off fleaBay?

satman858

Reaction score
There is a guy in e-bay that is selling Siemens hearing aids at almost unbelievable price. He has 2 Siemens Pure 500 Digi Open Fit RIC Hearing Aids for $2,849 or 1 Siemens Pure 500 Digi Open Fit RIC Hearing Aid for $1,349. Both of them also come with free remote and a free charger.

This presents to me 3 questions.

1. Have any of you guys in here ever bought a hearing aid from e-bay?

2. How are adjustments made when there are not here to see you?

They say for technical support or questions please feel free to call our licensed expert team, and we give LIFETIME PHONE SUPPORT BEFORE AND AFTER SALE.

3. How can adjustments be made when you ship it back based on telling them the problems you are have via a telephone call?

It is risky in my opinion. I even went to ebay just to look at what type of stuff is on there. Personally, I would be scared because it is great investment anyways and I am fearful of not getting appropriate equipment, appropriate programming, appropriate for my loss of hearing, and appropriate professional support that I can be in person with to ask questions and interactively guiding Q and A. That being said, I never bought HA on ebay. Im not saying there isn't the perfect deal for the right person, but the odds of that coming at right time is slim.

I would trust an audiologist that I've met in person over a stranger who's a seller on eBay.

It is risky in my opinion. I even went to ebay just to look at what type of stuff is on there. Personally, I would be scared because it is great investment anyways and I am fearful of not getting appropriate equipment, appropriate programming, appropriate for my loss of hearing, and appropriate professional support that I can be in person with to ask questions and interactively guiding Q and A. That being said, I never bought HA on ebay. Im not saying there isn't the perfect deal for the right person, but the odds of that coming at right time is slim.

hohDougRN,

Thank you for you reply.

The thing that is most amazing to me, is the fact that this seller has over 10,000 e-bay transactions and has a 100% feedback rating. He has to be selling original equipment, and please his buyers to boot. :hmm:

That is something I would think very risky. If anything goes wrong, he is not right in your town to fix it or replace it and his reputation won't really suffer if he doesn't treat you right.

I have never bought an hearing aid from Ebay either.

There is a guy in e-bay that is selling Siemens hearing aids at almost unbelievable price. He has 2 Siemens Pure 500 Digi Open Fit RIC Hearing Aids for $2,849 or 1 Siemens Pure 500 Digi Open Fit RIC Hearing Aid for $1,349. Both of them also come with free remote and a free charger.

This presents to me 3 questions.

1. Have any of you guys in here ever bought a hearing aid from e-bay?

2. How are adjustments made when there are not here to see you?

They say for technical support or questions please feel free to call our licensed expert team, and we give LIFETIME PHONE SUPPORT BEFORE AND AFTER SALE.

3. How can adjustments be made when you ship it back based on telling them the problems you are have via a telephone call?

Well, I bought a cheap one on ebay a couple years ago ($150) and got a killer deal. It still works just fine, I just prefer to use the one I got from my insurance as it's a more powerful aid. However, that's a lot of money, and you're right, it's risky. Maybe you can check with the BBB or do some investigating. Of course he is able to sell them cheaper because he doesn't have the overhead that an audi on the corner has. I think you should check it out, that's an amazing feedback, he must be doing something right.
As far as repairs and such, it always takes my audi 2 weeks or so to send my HA out to be fixed and after the one year warranty runs out, they charge me $300 for a repair. That's why I bought on ebay the last time.
P.S. I just looked on ebay and seen the HA's you're talking about. You can get a lower price(make offer), I looked at his feedback and someone got the same aids for $2499. And a 3 year loss and damage warranty? That's awesome. He's also been on ebay for 9 years so he's not fly by night. Personally, I've probably had 10 different audi's in the last 10 years and every one of them were only out for the insurance money. In my opinion this looks like a great deal.

The thing about buying HA on ebay over a audiologist, is the audiologist can adjust your HA for your needs. While the ebay guy will do nothing for you in that department.

In this situation it's best to buy from the person who is going to be servicing your HA.

The thing about buying HA on ebay over a audiologist, is the audiologist can adjust your HA for your needs. While the ebay guy will do nothing for you in that department.

In this situation it's best to buy from the person who is going to be servicing your HA.

The ebay guy will adjust it to your needs, it will just be an inconvenience to have to keep shipping it back and forth. Initially they will program it for you after faxing them your audiogram. But after that, if you need it tweaked you're on your own unless you need a repair. In which case the audi guy takes just as long to repair it as the ebay guy.
Unfortunately the hearing aid industry is monopolized by audiologists. It seems that if you don't buy your aid from them, most will not service it for you unless it's for a major repair. It might be possible to find a nice audi who sells the same type of aid, has the software for it and will adjust it to your needs for the cost of an office visit. In that case it would be worth buying from the ebay guy.

Well, if the hearing aid is new and is everything they say it is and it would generally fit your needs, then what's to stop you from taking it to your audi for fine-tuning? And getting an ear mold to fit you? As was said, the guy has over 10K sales and a stellar reputation and isn't there an insurance policy (or something equivalent) you could buy to protect yourself?

I know someone who bought a BMW that was a great deal to this day and he got it about three years ago.

Last edited:
Okay guys, I sent this message below to a few of his past buyers who bought the same exact Siemens Pure 500 Open Fit RIC Hearing Aid that I am interested in buying. Below is my message to them and their replies back to me. For $1,349 you recieve the following items:

1 - Siemens Pure 500 RIC hearing aid
1 - Siemens Pure Charger
1 - Siemens ProPocket ™ Remote
1 - Rechargable Batteries
60 - Regular Batteries
Carrying pouch
Owners manual
2 Years - Loss & Damage Protection
2 Years - Factory Warranty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I noticed in e-bay seller bidbybid's feedbacks that you purchased 2 Siemens Pure 500 Digi Open Fit RIC Hearing Aids from him. I was also thinking about buying the same hearing aid from him, and wanted to ask you how are these hearing aids working for you based on the audiogram you sent him?
Did you need to send them back to make any ajustments?

Any and all help deeply appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hearing aids I bought are working really well and I have not had to send them back for reprograming. They work great.

- 5585donald

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I love them! Sometimes there are feedback issues when I turn then way up, but other than that, they work great! I forget I have them in...until I take them out and can't hear anything!! The Bluetooth phone and TV devices are really cool, and work well. Hope that helps.

- myrebecky

I am very pleased with the choice.I feel I am still learning to hear again but I may have them adjusted in the near future.They have reduced the level of stress in my daily life due to my inability to hear well in class.I was surprised to NOT find a cleaning brush/kit for general maintenance but that is a small issue.They have added immensely to the quality of life & I feel are money very well spent. GOOD LUCK,Jim
P.S. Hope this helps!!

- jimsr72

It may seem 'risky', but on a strictly "I don't want to be ripped off" sense, paypal protects you. If you don't get anything or what you get is significantly different than what was advertised in the auction, paypal will have your money back AS LONG as you used paypal and made sure the transaction was eligible for protection.

Elsewise, I'm sure you could find at least ONE audi in your area willing to fine tune your aid and manage the repairs. Definitely check about this BEFORE you buy- but it shouldn't be a problem.

I have seen those available on ebay too, and being overly cautious, said no. I kind of wish I had gone with them now, looking back, but that is water over the damn. As for taking them to an audi to program, I hope most are more reputable than this one..

A quote from another thread:

"I'm actually looking on ebay...there are the exact hearing aids i need (set of 2 BTE starkey destiny 1200s) that are on auction...they're "slightly used, 2 years old" as the description states...my audiologist said she'd program them for me for $600...plus i have to get the earmolds made which are $100 for the set of two..."

Now that sounds like a ripoff to me...after all, how hard is it to hook them up to the computer and let the program tweak them according to the audiogram? :hmm:

I have purchased a set of Sieman's centra active HA from this seller on e -bay about a year ago. Biddydird is a Real profesional Seller that used to have a "Brick and mortar" type of business. The reason he is selling on E bay, is, to help consumers like you and I get a GREAT Deal on NEW factory HA's without breaking the "Bank" and sacrificing cost to compromise getting a low end model because of our budget!! This guy really really cares about helping the consumer!!
Now for my disclosure- The only real hurdle to purchasing on E Bay, is, finding an audiologist/ dispenser to tweek your aids for adjustments. Before I purchased my aids from biddybird, I was being honest with my brick and mortor audiologist (HearX, Orange County, CA.) that I have used in the past for my hearing needs.Well, I had mentioned that I can get this great deal on e-bay and I would be willing to pay for a hearing test/adjustments. Mind you, by law (CA.) hearing tests are free and by law they must give you a copy if you request it.They told me that they would charge me $1000.00!! Guess what-- they lost my business and any refferals to boot!!
So, after numerous phone calls to different audiologists in my area, I ended up not being so honest about my Great Savings, and mentioned that I just moved hear from another State and need to get my hearing Re evaluated.
As long as the audiologist is a Sieman's dealer , they will accomadate you.
I personally found an audiologist that is accomadating me and is willing to take care of my adjustments and warranty for FREE. However, deep down in my heart, I know I am being deceptive - so, I paid this audiologist $80.00 for his time -- And - -he didn't even want to take my money to boot!! Go figure, your honest and upfront- you get raped!! You lie - they are willing to provide their service for free!! Only in America!!
Lastly, if you are a new user to HA's, I wouldn't recommend buying on e-bay for the first year.In fact, just buy a good aid to meet your hearing loss. Nothing High end at first. Then, upgrade and buy from biddybird. When I first purchased my aids 12 yrs. ago from HearX, I didn't know what to expect, sounds were "new" and different, and I encompassed a lot of adjustments. I call it the mind over matter syndrome.
After wearing aids , I now know what to expect and my new hearing has adjusted to my expectations.
If you are A TENURED user of HA, by all means buy from biddybird. Just do your due dilligence and find an audiologist that won't gouge you on the "back" end. A little research can save you thousands!!
In fact, I am thinking of buying the pure 500 with the TEK option from biddybird as I am constantly on my cell phone and need bluetooth.
Hope this helps anyone that is considering purchasing from biddybird.
In fact, you can use my name as a refferal i.e Lou Bennett from Orange County, CA. -That's how confident I am that you won't get ripped off !!
I do declare that I have no personal interest in bidybird other then my Great Experience from purchasing my aids from this professional e bayer

Hi Lou,

I know it's been quite awhile but I read your post about purchasing hearing aids on eBay from bidbybid and found it useful.

The current feedback reviews seem kind of fishy so I would like for you to revisit your opinion and share your experience with them.

Thank you.

Hi Lou,

I know it's been quite awhile but I read your post about purchasing hearing aids on eBay from bidbybid and found it useful.

The current feedback reviews seem kind of fishy so I would like for you to revisit your opinion and share your experience with them.

Thank you.

Hello Deafender and welcome.

Unfortunately, Lou hasn't logged back on since 2009. Just wanted to let you know since you are wanting him to give his opinion.

Hello Deafender and welcome.

Unfortunately, Lou hasn't logged back on since 2009. Just wanted to let you know since you are wanting him to give his opinion.

Yeah, that's right...although I gave an opinion way back when, I found something else I could mention today but......oh, heck, what I was gonna say was I think its kinda strange that the price for those two hearing aids in the OP was like 2850.00 and one was 1350.00......

Thanks for your response. I am looking at the Phonak Audeo V70 that's currently listed on eBay by bidbybid. They want $2699 for two aids and the Bluetooth accessories Compilot and tvlink. What puts me in caution mode are the reviews. I've heard of people being paid to post positive reviews and the ones listed for this seller seem fake.

My Audi wants almost $5000 for the aids and $700 for the compilot and another $500 for the tvlink. And this would be through insurance!

My hearing loss is mild but there are some pitches I can barely hear and I also have constant tinnitus. I've had this problem all my life and thought the tinnitus was normal until recently when it got louder.

I am in my late 40's and have worn aids on and off over the years. Mainly because they haven't been helpful enough to justify cost. And the jobs I've had didn't require better hearing. Now I have a job that requires good hearing so now seems like the right time to get an aid for my kind of hearing loss with the new technology that's available.

When it comes to electroics there are so many cheap knockoffs on ebay and amazon that look exactly like the real thing. Sometimes it's imposible to tell the difference until a preformance and reliability test are done. With a price to good to be true it's tempting but probably is to good to be true. If you buy from an authorized dealer you know what you are getting and can expect pretty good service. I don't have hearing aid but it's true of a lot of things.

If I was going to drop $2k on ebay the seller would need to have a ton of detailed feedback. If they only have 10 or 20 reviews that all sound the same then beware. I would absolutly contact them via phone/relay service and ask lot's of questions. If they wont deal with you now they wont later. Or if they don't have real knowledge of the item then it is not worth the risk.

I am looking to purchase a pair of phonak audeo v70 aids which I found on eBay for 2,699 for the pair and the compiler and tv link accessories that are usually sold separately. My audi wants over $5,000 for the aids only and sells the accessories for around $700. My caution about the eBay seller is that the seller feedback appear to be fake ones. I've heard of people being paid to post positive reviews and the ones listed appear suspicious.

Back