have a question about meeting other people

crazed-wolf

Reaction score
this is gonna sound real hearie minded but i'll ask anyway.

i have severe/profound hearing loss. much worse last 8 yrs . i know asl but none of my family knows asl. i learned later cuz i grew up strictly oral in fact did not even know other hoh or deaf people existed! very sheltered!...my question is i'd like to meet people hoh or deaf and who sign cuz my asl gets very bad cuz no one to sign with! we have agency that is for deaf hoh blind ect. they teach asl have job coaches stuff like that...but when i ask the deaf/hoh counsilor she tells me i am not deaf enough...i don't know sign...i point out i do know sign but no one to talk to so it gets bad from lack of use!so i don't know how do i meet people like me? i can't just put an ad in the papper, y'know. there is a group ...a club that meets twice a month during the day but this councilor person does'nt want to tell me anything more about it. btw she is hearing. maybe i am bad or something that she won't tell me anything...

Geez, I'm sorry that you had to endure that. Doesn't sound very helpful.

Can you let us know where you live so we may be able to proide better resources?

Don't give up!

:shock: A deaf club is one of the best places to meet a lot of deaf people, because they have socials on Friday and Saturday nights, bowling leagues for the deaf. There must be a deaf club in Syracuse that you can go to.

As for this Counselor? She is not very helpful, and she should be encouraging you to go to different organizations for the deaf. Here in Rhode Island, once a month on a Saturday night, the deaf get together at a bar.

To tell you that you're not deaf enough? That is wrong. I am hearing too, but, I come from deaf parent's, and I wouldn't even tell you something like that. You do need to get out and meet other deaf, so this way you can keep improving your signing skills. Does this woman have any knowledge of deaf culture to give you that kind of advice?

Check online in your town, or nearby towns and see if there is a deaf club that you can go to get out and meet deaf people, and upgrade your signing skills.

Remember, this is your life, and you live it the way you should live it. Don't listen to any hearing person tell you that you're not deaf enough, or you don't have enough signing skills to go and meet deaf people, because the deaf are always willing to help coach. The only way you're going to learn, is to observe the way other deaf sign.

Is this woman really right for this job to be so discouraging? Get out there, find some deaf clubs or deaf organizations and have fun signing and meeting people. Good luck!!!!

Back