Hate me?

The deafness (hearing loss) is medical condition, but for black, Asian and minorities, it is race, not medical condition.

For adults, it is up to you to treat the deafness with hearing aids or CI, but for children, it is up to parents, also sometime, children make own decision with parent's support.
Yes, I know. But both are minority states that are often fetishized and seen as "exotic" and cool.

Yes, I know. But both are minority states that are often fetishized and seen as "exotic" and cool.

because hearing people would saying that ASL and other sign languages are cool and cute? :lol:

I'm wonder about tactile signing too and some customers stare at us, but it isn't funny to live as deafblind due unable to drive.

While I am not saying someone who is essentially hearing should wish to be deaf, I do know many hard of hearing people who feel not a part of either the hearing or deaf world. I have met some deaf people with a progressive loss who have said they hating being a hard of hearing person and are much happier as a deaf person. While life isn't easier, they are more comfortable with their identity - discarding their hearing aid or CI and being completely visual rather than trying hear.
THIS!

because hearing people would saying that ASL and other sign languages are cool and cute? :lol:

I'm wonder about tactile signing too and some customers stare at us, but it isn't funny to live as deafblind due unable to drive.
Yes exactly. Or those teenyboppers who come in every so often and are all OmG, LiKe i wAnT tO lEaRn aSL BeCuZ iT'S LiKe U nO sO kElWZ aNd fUn!

Yes exactly. Or those teenyboppers who come in every so often and are all OmG, LiKe i wAnT tO lEaRn aSL BeCuZ iT'S LiKe U nO sO kElWZ aNd fUn!

Yes, I remember that when I was high school kid and I understand about what you means.

I noticed some customers stare at me when I use ASL and they gave me ugly attitude for no reason. :dunno:

In some ways yes. But not entirely. There are still very large groups of people who insist on still using voice phone/calls... Most notably recruiters and hiring managers. Even when you TELL them that you don't have/use voice phone in email, the very next email they send will say "Please send me your contact number" or "Please call me".

D'OH!

I am born deaf, use hearing aids(with terrible speech discrim), know sign, use VRS with vco (my expressive signing is a little rusty and receptive fingerspelling sucks) and YES hearing does matter in some circle no matter how much I state the opposite.
Yes, but that's some... I actually think that within the next 5-10 years those circumsntaces you cite will be pretty much obsolete. There are some cases where hearing IS vital, but there are usually cases where subsistuions of this or that is acceptable. You can use relay to make phonecalls so you can use the phone.

So wait... you're now saying that HOH people are essentially hearing? I have met HOH people who have expressed that they wish they were fully deaf so that they didn't have to deal with sounds or speech therapy or hearing aids. Great, we realize as a hearing person you value hearing. That doesn't mean everyone else idolizes hearing as An Amazing Sense That Cannot Be Lived Without.
She was born with typical hearing and now she claims she has lost so little hearing as to not need a hearing aid. What would you label that?

She was born with typical hearing and now she claims she has lost so little hearing as to not need a hearing aid. What would you label that?
Well how do we know it's not mild, and she cannot afford hearing aids? Her struggles do sound like someone who can get by without HAs, but still is struggling......You do realize hearing aids are super expensive right?

In some ways yes. But not entirely. There are still very large groups of people who insist on still using voice phone/calls... Most notably recruiters and hiring managers. Even when you TELL them that you don't have/use voice phone in email, the very next email they send will say "Please send me your contact number" or "Please call me".

D'OH!

I am born deaf, use hearing aids(with terrible speech discrim), know sign, use VRS with vco (my expressive signing is a little rusty and receptive fingerspelling sucks) and YES hearing does matter in some circle no matter how much I state the opposite.

I hate to tell deafdyke this, but it isn't true at all that email has replaced speaking on the phone. At least, that has not been my experience. I agree with DeafDucky people always insist you call them all the time.

I see more people texting than talking on their cell phone when I am out. I think people will one day be with no voice box b/c they text so much ! LOL!

I see more people texting than talking on their cell phone when I am out. I think people will one day be with no voice box b/c they text so much ! LOL!

It seems like that for sure in the general population but there's still those who say "give me a call." So frustrating...

It seems like that for sure in the general population but there's still those who say "give me a call." So frustrating...
Yeah hearing people really don't get it ! I was like WTF ! when a doctor leaned toward me and started talking into my hearing aid like it was a phone ! He had an accent
and I had trouble understanding him . We were in the hallway and I wanted to tell him that was a stupid thing to do b/c I can't read your lips and that not meant to talked into like a phone ! Maybe one day hearing people will get it but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen !

Yeah hearing people really don't get it ! I was like WTF ! when a doctor leaned toward me and started talking into my hearing aid like it was a phone ! He had an accent
and I had trouble understanding him . We were in the hallway and I wanted to tell him that was a stupid thing to do b/c I can't read your lips and that not meant to talked into like a phone ! Maybe one day hearing people will get it but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen !

Well, not all deaf people want an interpreter with them at the doctor's office. Accents are hard to understand for anyone. I think the best thing to do is have one of their medical assistant talk for easier lip reading if that's what you prefer or change doctors and ask for one that doesn't have an accent because it's hard for you to understand with your hearing loss--so they don't think you're being racist or something. If you want an interpreter that is your choice. I don't think whatdidyousay! is stupid. It may just be she doesn't want one at the doctor's office. It was wrong of the doctor to talk in his ear and needs to be educated.

I still have some people who ask if they can record conversation so I can hear them later lol So funny the things people think might help deaf people hear better. Better not get off topic now...

Last edited:
I hate to tell deafdyke this, but it isn't true at all that email has replaced speaking on the phone. At least, that has not been my experience. I agree with DeafDucky people always insist you call them all the time.

I had to email my doctor six times before she got what I needed done correct. Took two weeks to fix her mistakes. Today, I needed to call Jury Duty....I can not hear on the phone. Plus, for the people who wish they were deaf so that they can't hear anything. There is something called tinnitus, yes even if you are totally deaf......tinnitus can be brutal, extremely loud all types of crazy noises and you can have it 24/7. Causes severe insomnia. If I could go back to having my natural hearing...I would do it in a heartbeat.

I had to email my doctor six times before she got what I needed done correct. Took two weeks to fix her mistakes. Today, I needed to call Jury Duty....I can not hear on the phone. Plus, for the people who wish they were deaf so that they can't hear anything. There is something called tinnitus, yes even if you are totally deaf......tinnitus can be brutal, extremely loud all types of crazy noises and you can have it 24/7. Causes severe insomnia. If I could go back to having my natural hearing...I would do it in a heartbeat.

Good comment about the tinnitus. Many people erroneously think deaf = silence. Not necessarily. Mine can at times be loud crashing booms that wake me up at night. I used think it was thunder or something fell over until I realized every time it happened all of the dogs were still snoozing. They would have be up and barking at anything loud enough to wake - ah, only I can hear it. Didn't know before I was deaf tinnitus could be like that.

iti
I have tinnitus when I first started getting it I kept asking my daughter if she heard anything and she said NO. I went outside and still heard the weird sound and realize I
was getting tinnitus . It took some time getting use to it now I try to block it , it get really loud at times and taking my HA off doesn't help . Some people may think that will help and it doesn't .

Back