Hashing!

Sweet_KJ

Reaction score
Hashing . . . it's a mixture of athleticism and sociability, hedonism and hard work; a refreshing break from the nine-to-five routine. Hashing is an exhilaratingly fun combination of running, orienteering, and partying, where bands of harriers and harriettes chase hares on eight-to-ten kilometer-long trails through town, country, jungle, and desert, all in search of exercise, camaraderie, and good times.

Does anyone partake in this activity? There's a big group here in San Diego, but I'm pretty doubtful any of them are deaf. So it got me thinking, maybe I should start one up with deafies, HoHs, and anyone who can use ASL! Of course, I think the word of the wise is for me to actually participate in one of the San Diego hashes so I get a general idea of what things run and adapt from that.

Woud you guys be into that if there was one in your area?

Hi Sweet KJ,

That must be new , I tried looking it up on the internet. There is not very much information on hashing runs? That would be good to keep Deaf people healthy and strong, enjoy being in the outdoors and very social ASL too :) It is clear to me you like going outside run and excersice. :) :thumb: I do too !!!! I live in Pennsylvania so I can't join you, snaps finger.

San Diego from what I hear , is a very nice place as long as you stay in the good part of town. The US Marines have their boot camp in San Diego ( Much like Parris Island , SC ) and The US Navy Seals have their training school there to become Seals. I was told that San Diego has one of the highest population of physically fit people anywhere in the U.S.A. People there love keeping physically fit and the women at the beach are a must see I was told by friends who are in the USMC that the women on the beach put Playboy centerfold women to shame !!!!! More beautiful than Playboy and Hustler. I thought that was cool :) :thumb: Gotta visit San Diego someday.

Try googling "Hash House Harrier"

I'm more of a social person, when I find the right group :). I have to drag myself to exercise but I love doing it when I do. I used to run, but have fallen out of that the last couple years since I began working two jobs and moved to San Diego.

San Diego is awesome. I love the weather, the scenery, etc. However, some people here can be quite snotty/snobby with their social standings.

I figure, since I'm an inspiring event planner, this could be one of my projects to get started off from the ground and get deafies participating!

Yeah you could do that and open your own business in the process and run a newsletter too. I think that would be a very fun and positive project for you, Sweet KJ :)

My husband will love that kind of stuff. Me, I will just go for the hedonism part. ;)

There are alot of trails in the county so a perfect beginning for the group. I have never heard of this activity but I will ask my MIL-- she is very outdoorsy-type of person so I am sure she has heard of this.

Will it be limited to hike? What about bicycling, kayaking, and whatnot?
Just wondering.

I'm sure it's open to other activities. I think I will just try to take off from the same concept of Hashing but also include other fun activities...

Give me a heads up if you know any San Diegans (or OC/LA folks) who may be into it! (PM me, please).

I think I will start planning for the first event -- I don't expect a great turn out, but I'm sure after everyone has fun, it will travel by word of mouth and then it'll be successful! I'm optimistic! :D

Back