Has this happened to anyone else.

When I had hearing aids, yeah the squeak.

My SO bought me a key finder that had a bright blinking light and a very high pitched beep. Of course, I couldn't hear the high pitched beep, but the bright blinking light, I could see if I misplaced my keys. Anyway, I was sitting in class and everyone was looking around and then everyone looked at me. My key finder was beeping in my purse and I couldn't hear it. No one mocked me, but it was kind of embarrassing.

It's really hard for me to think of a specific example of being mocked, because I look at them like "You're a dumba$$" and then move on.

If people do not realize you can't hear the beeping they're the dumb ones .
You should not be embarrassed for being not able to hear you did nothing wrong.

I used to have a pair custom made high top leather workboots that squeaked super loud. Fellow workers would kid me about them. I sprayed them inside and out with Wd40. They did good till they got wet. I give people a fairly broad kidding latitude but there is the too far knuckleheads out that think have a good time at someone elses expense is funny. I have been called retarded and other choice things. It is up to each of us to be our own hero inspite of them. Grrr

I frequently get treated like I'm intellectually disabled particularly because of the type of walking frame I use. People show me how to use elevators and so on.

to me instead happen to be treated like I was transparent, although I am deaf as most Americans, while not a US citizen ....:)

who knows why....

I had people say are you f*ing deaf answer yes they blush look idiot..i think I just ask them if your shoes in tune.i walked into blind woman other day she ask me if I frigging blind then saw her white stick....we ended up having laugh in the end.....
you got try accept idiots and educate when you can or you have bitter life

How about this? When someone you need to talk to see your hearing aids and you can tell they are talking so loud that the floors and glass are shaking. What really blows their minds is when I tell them that they are talking too loud.

How about this? When someone you need to talk to see your hearing aids and you can tell they are talking so loud that the floors and glass are shaking. What really blows their minds is when I tell them that they are talking too loud.

that not happen but people getting over excited to get through to my brain I try calm them talk slow write and if know little sign use it all.....I also seen many deaf rude taking piss out of hearing..two way thing

12247176_ori-tinman-getting-oiled.jpg

I've been made fun <by kids> due to my speech <and then un-diagnosed learning disability-'LD' > and being in Special Ed; had similar happen by adults due to LD in adulthood.

One time few years ago I -thought - I said "excuse me" to some guy in a store as I walked past or near him in a narrow isle of the store. Don't know if either of us had carts. So, that's what I thought I said...this was after I started to lose my hearing...so he leaned over and said close to me - "I'd like to" Seriously.
Think he thought I said - "screw me". Maybe that's closer to how it came out cause I do have speech issues. Maybe I didn't pronounce something or hear myself pronounce something but what I did mean to say was -"excuse me".
It was bizarre....

I've been made fun <by kids> due to my speech <and then un-diagnosed learning disability-'LD' > and being in Special Ed; had similar happen by adults due to LD in adulthood.

One time few years ago I -thought - I said "excuse me" to some guy in a store as I walked past or near him in a narrow isle of the store. Don't know if either of us had carts. So, that's what I thought I said...this was after I started to lose my hearing...so he leaned over and said close to me - "I'd like to" Seriously.
Think he thought I said - "screw me". Maybe that's closer to how it came out cause I do have speech issues. Maybe I didn't pronounce something or hear myself pronounce something but what I did mean to say was -"excuse me".
It was bizarre....

:Oops:

It was bizarre....

Oh NO! I took Finlay out with me to stores and I would tell him to 'Sit' and people would look :shock: this happen a few times. So I asked my daughter what does it sound like when I say 'Sit' , and my daughter said it sound like 'Shit!' LOL! People thought I was telling my dog to take a shit in the store. :laugh2: Thank goodness Finlay knew what I meant, I bet my poor dog was thinking WTF is wrong with me telling him to poop in a store.

Last edited:

It was bizarre....

I know exactly what you mean. That is why I got in habit of saying "pardon me" instead of excuse. I know i can clearly say pardon but not quite so clear with excuse.

I know exactly what you mean. That is why I got in habit of saying "pardon me" instead of excuse. I know i can clearly say pardon but not quite so clear with excuse.

I'm the same way. I think twice through everything I'm saying because I know some words I say are not clear or have a hard time articulating it at all, so I rephrase a lot of my sentences.

I had shoes - Nike or other - which squeaked that loud. I could hear them.
but I spent well over $150 so i wasn't about to throw them just b/c they squeaked so bad, oh no. and yes, I wore socks. there was something wrong with the shoes itself and many layers of inside soles and what not.
I suffered, and made other suffer LOL

For some reason nobody dared to comment in my presence the way they did to you.
I remember, though, one guy smiling and yelling after me "nice shoes"
which wasn't offensive at all,
- I could tell he was just commenting on the shoes in joking way.

I suppose you need to keep your head high and stomp your ground proudly. Stare down anyone who dares to laugh at you. Tell unexpectedly whomever is rude "the dumbass know his shoes are squeaking. the dumbass do that to annoy you".

and exit.

Fuzzy

I think women wearing high heels made a lot of noises when walking and some women sound a horse clopping around. It drive me nuts , clop, clop ,clop on a wooden floor.

I used to teach school and had to teach kids how to behave and show a little class concerning a few students who either wore HA's, thick glasses or were in special ed and were slower than the other kids. I would have to wait until the student was absent and then I would ask the other kids in the class if they thought the student who was being picked on or teased wanted to be like they were or do you think they would like to be like everyone else? I then told them he/ she unfortunately didn't have a choice in how they were, they were just dealt a hand that they had to play out, just as everyone else in the class was and they were no different, they just wanted to be accepted for who they are, get along with others and have friends and not be picked on or made fun of. It usually did the trick and when the student came back they were treated with some dignity.

I used to teach school and had to teach kids how to behave and show a little class concerning a few students who either wore HA's, thick glasses or were in special ed and were slower than the other kids. I would have to wait until the student was absent and then I would ask the other kids in the class if they thought the student who was being picked on or teased wanted to be like they were or do you think they would like to be like everyone else? I then told them he/ she unfortunately didn't have a choice in how they were, they were just dealt a hand that they had to play out, just as everyone else in the class was and they were no different, they just wanted to be accepted for who they are, get along with others and have friends and not be picked on or made fun of. It usually did the trick and when the student came back they were treated with some dignity.

Or they were careful not to let you see them do it.

I don't remember one moment when I was in the mainstream that I was not emotionally tortured by classmates.

Or they were careful not to let you see them do it.

I don't remember one moment when I was in the mainstream that I was not emotionally tortured by classmates.

I was pick on by a teacher , in grade school . I think she used a boom to get to school.

Back