Has CI technology improved as fast as HAs?

Which technology has improved more, CI or HA in the last 10 years

• CI has improved much more!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • CI

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Same

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • HA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HA has improved much more!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Therefore, the implant CAN work without an internal magnet.

Only if these discs are used. I was talking in a general sense. I wasn't referring to people who used discs in place of the internal magnet.

Only if these discs are used. I was talking in a general sense. I wasn't referring to people who used discs in place of the internal magnet.

Ok. Thank you.

I was making clear that the implant still works and the magnet is removable.

I know of a child who had to have several MRI's and he had his magnet out for months. He used his CI just fine.

I know of a child who had to have several MRI's and he had his magnet out for months. He used his CI just fine.

No one is disputing that faire_jour. Deafteen and I weren't sure exactly what you were talking about.

Deafteen90
Yes you can use the implant with out the internal magnet as long you have something to hold the external coil in place. Cochlear makes a Retainer Discs located here: Retainer Discs - 50 pack [fuz061] - $31.50 : Cochlear, Innovator of the Nucleus Freedom cochlear hearing implant system

This is like a stick on magnet.
In some cases that if you needed frequently MRI's or for a period of time the internal magnet may be removed until such time that putting the magnet back in would be practical.

This was mentioned in a previous post.

I don't know when 22 electrodes was first invented but im guessing it's been over a decade. Why isn't there 128 electrodes today?
N22 first appeared on the market around 1982... Human body is a good conductor, and this is the reason why you cannot jam too many electrodes on an array - if two electrodes get too close together, the interference between them will lead to confusion rather than improved sound perception.

Nowadays, both implants and hearing aids develop mostly by improved speech and music processing strategies. More microphones are being added, more sophisticated sound processing algorithms are used, etc.

That is why Cochlear had a 24 and is back to a 22. The real difference has been in the speech processing, in the external units.

There was never 24 full functional electrodes (at least that's what I believe). It has been 22 with 2 ground. I believe back in the day, there was strictly 22 electrodes, but there has been issues with static and stuff, so they added two electrodes for grounding purposes.

Iv never heard of 24 electrodes, everybody i knows has 22

FYI for all of you above talking about the magnets and stuff....

There's someone here (I'm not sure if she's on this forum, or if I read her blog, I don't remember), that got CI, but purposely asked to take the magnet out. She has to have MRI every 3 months or 6 months for many years, so instead she just shaves off where the internal piece is and put a retainer disc there. Works perfectly.

For those who HAVE CI...try this (I did, and I think it's cool...AND it may teach you the fact that you don't need to have the magnet for it to work).

Take the coil - take the MAGNET out.
Put the coil where the INTERNAL piece is. Voila. It works. :)

The ONLY reason why the magnet is there is to hold the coil in place. If we tried other methods (hair piece, hair clips, etc etc...) it just won't be as good as holding the coil in place. I've always wondered why can't they just put the magnet piece near the base of the ear and the magnet ON the processor...but of course, we won't be able to use regular batteries since the coil will attach to the batteries.

As for the processors - you will see some plateau about improving the processors because AB and Cochlear has pretty much perfected it. Aesthetics could be improved. I, for one, do not care much for the bulkiness of the processor, but after a while, I just get used to it. The majority of the improvements over the last few years is the programming. Cochlear just came out with Smart Sounds 2. Although it is very nice to have, but all of my mappings is customized for me...I hate to say this, but I think Smart Sounds is really made for audiologists who don't really want to spend 2 hours doing a map (like mine. :) )

My coil doesnt stick without my magnet the inside bit in the coil

Deafteen90, course it won't stick without magnet! Lady was suggesting that you try to hear without Magnet, the coil STILL works without magnet. So the purpose of the magnet is to hold the coil piece.

Lady... My mapping is customised too and it took 1.5 hour yesterday and 3 hearing tests thrown in anyway the problem is solved now.

Soryy I still dont understand what to mean. Sorry

Don't worry we were trying to help you to understand about magnet and coil.

Have you tried putting your coil on to your head against the implant without Magnet you would need to hold it though.

If yes

Does it work (processor on)

If yes thats what we have been trying to explain to you.

There is people who uses CI without magnet for example people who needs frequent MRI. They use retainer instead.

I tried it and it works, I didnt know CI could work without magnet

Back