Has anyone seen Oprah's show about McGreevey's scandal?

Cane Corso

Reaction score
What do you think of Jim McGreevey? I feel very sorry for Dina Matos McGreevey because she was being native. She found out that Jim married her for politician gain. In fact, how he handles the situation digusted me. He said that he had an affair with a man named Golan Cipel, but Golan Cipel said that they did not have a consensual relationship. Also, Golan said that Jim sexually assaulted and harassed him.

Do you think Jim was being fair? Do you think Jim is being the victim here? What is your point of view on his behavior? Is this a normal behavior of a gay man? In my opinion, I would say no. A gay man would not sexually assulted a straight man.

Golan Cipel's Official Web Site

is that same McGreevey that just announced that he's gonna be a episcopal priest? (today's news eh)

oh by the way, do you mean "naive" :D though native means a person growing up locally...

I don't know if he is a priest or plan to become one, but he is an Episcopalian. I am wondering why no one talks about him. I thought GLBT folks would cheer for him? or even try to defend him? Aren't you guys happy to know that there is a gay governor?

He is a Democratic politican from New Jersey.

CNN.com - New Jersey governor quits, comes out as gay - Aug 13, 2004

Dina Matos McGreevey on Oprah: Her Side of the Story

"Golan Cipel's Story

When the aide went to shake the governor's hand, McGreevey pulled him in to kiss him on the lips. The aide pulled away and rejected the gesture, and looked at me embarrassed, to see if I'd noticed…I remember thinking that if all the others were keeping quiet, that maybe it was best that I should do the same."

" He leered at me with a crazed look in his eyes, moaning and continuing to touch himself. He patted the bed with his palm and said “Come sit next to me."

"McGreevey had taken his penis out from beneath his covers and he then started to masturbate. I was shocked and appalled. I incredulously asked him, “What are you DOING?! Your baby is right here in the room, and your wife is in the kitchen! What's WRONG with you?!” He didn't stop."

I don't know if he is a priest or plan to become one, but he is an Episcopalian. I am wondering why no one talks about him. I thought GLBT folks would cheer for him? or even try to defend him? Aren't you guys happy to know that there is a gay governor?

He is a Democratic politican from New Jersey.

CNN.com - New Jersey governor quits, comes out as gay - Aug 13, 2004

Dina Matos McGreevey on Oprah: Her Side of the Story

"Golan Cipel's Story

When the aide went to shake the governor's hand, McGreevey pulled him in to kiss him on the lips. The aide pulled away and rejected the gesture, and looked at me embarrassed, to see if I'd noticed…I remember thinking that if all the others were keeping quiet, that maybe it was best that I should do the same."

" He leered at me with a crazed look in his eyes, moaning and continuing to touch himself. He patted the bed with his palm and said “Come sit next to me."

"McGreevey had taken his penis out from beneath his covers and he then started to masturbate. I was shocked and appalled. I incredulously asked him, “What are you DOING?! Your baby is right here in the room, and your wife is in the kitchen! What's WRONG with you?!” He didn't stop."

I didn't say he is a priest. I said he announced that he is going to become episcopal priest. There's lot of news covering him today. - Google News <-- click here but those headlines are about him becoming priest not Cipel.

he's a former governor. he's no longer in political office anymore. and the incident about mcgreevey and Golan cipel is so old. and right now I have Oprah show on tv now. nothing about this subject. *shrug* it happened in 2004 not 2007 :)

I thought GLBT folks would cheer for him? or even try to defend him? Aren't you guys happy to know that there is a gay governor?

Well, you're obviously baiting, but I'll go ahead and bite. :)

What kind of pride are we supposed to have for a man who ruined the lives of his family, which he created under false pretenses? Whatever a person's sexuality, I have little respect for someone who doesn't honor the oaths that they undertook, whether it's matrimony, and oath of office, the Hippocratic Oath, etc. I find his behavior just as distasteful as I would a straight man who cheats on his wife with another woman.

Of course, at the time that this scandal broke out, there were other controversies swarming around the governor, and some people said at the time that his "admission" was a calculated move to detract from some of those other issues.

I have issues with gay people who knowingly enter into a relationship (marriage, or otherwise) with someone of the opposite gender because it's "easier", socially. Normally, though, I shake my head and move on. If those folks aren't at a point in their lives where they feel that they can be who they really are, then I can't judge them for THAT. However, once they enter into that relationship, in my opinion, they are bound by that decision to uphold whatever vow they take. If McGreevey was determined to finally "come out and be himself", then he should have ended his marriage (which, of course, would've been painful... but in the long run, healthier for all involved), which could've been done privately (well, as privately as any public official can manage). There was no need to subject his wife to that kind of public humiliation. I feel sorry for her, too.

Of course, if society were different, then this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Don't get me wrong, he's certainly responsible for his own actions... but it'd be nice if we lived in a world where some gay people didn't feel compelled to try to "fit in" by marrying someone of the opposite gender, if they know in their heart who they are, and who they love. It's SO not fair to the person they marry, and to any children that they manage to conceive. How many lives are ruined because of those kinds of decisions? Of course, when ANYONE cheats on their spouse, regardless of sexual orientation, lives are ruined... so let's be sure to keep that in perspective. This is certainly not a gay-only phenomenon.

He is a disgraceful to GLBT community period. Of course it would be nice to have a gay governor. But... I don't agree with the way he behaved. He embrassed us big time! Same thing with former Spokane Mayor and Foyer. I hate it when republicans tend to mess up and made GLBT people look bad and idiotic!

Speaking of using someone for political gain... Hilary Clinton is doing exactly same thing with Bill Clinton so she can become US president. I have nothing against her but it is very obvious she is doing it too.

i have little disagree with posts

im sure this guys wouldnt getting become pastor or whatevers because he is former governor and also he is gays! if im correct or im mistakes

Back