Has anyone ever had these hearing aid issues?

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
Almost totally on cue after buying an awesome laptop and paying off my iMac, my hearing aid has started having these issues:

1. Using the mode button (randomly) causes it to completely turn off entirely. The only way to get it to do anything is to open and close up the battery door again.

2. The above problem has started showing up on the volume button as well, so both the volume & mode buttons cause the hearing aid to turn off.

If you have had these issues, what was the outcome for your hearing aid? Were you able to get it repaired or did you have to have it replaced?

It sounds like it needs to be reprogrammed if it is digital. I've never had those issues, but the ram could corrupted, IMO. You need to take it to your audiologist.

mine was just replaced ...dunno what ha you have but when my naidas have had a prob its usually just replaced unless it's a quick fix

Mine is a Unitron 360e power digital aid - I have had it for just over 3 years now.

Anyway yeah I have an appointment already. Just want to get some additional feedback regarding what I may have to do at this point.

Hopefully I can just have it repaired. That would be the best scenario.

Yeah, when mine konked out completely after 13 years of use. Plunked down my money and bought a brand new one a week later.

Well today has been a doozy. My digital aid has been sent for repair. I purchased a new warranty since I'm out of warranty on it. It must have been going worse than I ever thought it was because I'm using my backup analog aid and there are a number of things I notice with this one vs. my digital:

1. Sounds seem to be easier to distinguish. They arrive to my ear at different times instead of all at the exact same time. So, the sink that sounded like a waterfall with my digital sounds like soft water should sound - and I have no problem hearing people speak while it's running anymore.

2. Music is about a thousand times better. I can tell pitch and tone way way better and can better easily distinguish between them. Could this be due to a difference in compression with the digital signal vs. no compression with an analog signal? Or the fact that I've used analog my whole life? It seems to me that with telling the difference in extremely subtle changes in tone and pitch (as well as between extremely soft and louder sounds) were completely lost when using the digital hearing aid.

3. I have been able to notice a lot of other small details with sound that were either eliminated or completely reduced with the digital aid due to compression of the sound signal and its processing (even when I had adjustments made for it to be programmed to act like analog).

Perhaps this whole thing is a very good thing. As of today I greatly prefer my analog aid due to the increased sound detail that it seems to provide right now. All very strange indeed. :hmm:

Well today has been a doozy. My digital aid has been sent for repair. I purchased a new warranty since I'm out of warranty on it. It must have been going worse than I ever thought it was because I'm using my backup analog aid and there are a number of things I notice with this one vs. my digital:

1. Sounds seem to be easier to distinguish. They arrive to my ear at different times instead of all at the exact same time. So, the sink that sounded like a waterfall with my digital sounds like soft water should sound - and I have no problem hearing people speak while it's running anymore.

2. Music is about a thousand times better. I can tell pitch and tone way way better and can better easily distinguish between them. Could this be due to a difference in compression with the digital signal vs. no compression with an analog signal? Or the fact that I've used analog my whole life? It seems to me that with telling the difference in extremely subtle changes in tone and pitch (as well as between extremely soft and louder sounds) were completely lost when using the digital hearing aid.

3. I have been able to notice a lot of other small details with sound that were either eliminated or completely reduced with the digital aid due to compression of the sound signal and its processing (even when I had adjustments made for it to be programmed to act like analog).

Perhaps this whole thing is a very good thing. As of today I greatly prefer my analog aid due to the increased sound detail that it seems to provide right now. All very strange indeed. :hmm:

same here with my left Siemens analog on my left ear and my Oticon Safari or Gaia on my right ear.

Those differences you noted between analog and digital are all valid. Those who have worn analog for many years always prefer their analogs over digitals, myself included.

We are just told get used to the digital sound because analogs are no longer available! Bah

Those differences you noted between analog and digital are all valid. Those who have worn analog for many years always prefer their analogs over digitals, myself included.

We are just told get used to the digital sound because analogs are no longer available! Bah

Analogs are still available. I got a digital because I am a tango dancer and my analog would pitch a hysterical fit everytime I went into the embrace (Argentina tango). The downside is not as much volume as analog and I miss it for everyone sounds quieter when I wear a digital.

So, now I've decided to compromise - wear analog for every day life and digital for tango only. My next hearing aid will be an analog.

I got a couple analog hearing aids a few weeks ago. They cost only 800 apiece and are real workhorses, resistant to sweat and the elements. They are perfectly acceptable to me, since I have no need to hear the violin section at any concert. :)

Had mine for 13 years, a digital hearing aid. Wore them every time I worked out with my sweat, and sooty dust and ash (fire fighting). It was a bargain of a deal for it to stretch that long in so many harsh environments. It was the equivalent of paying $12 a month for it with only one minor repair in all those years.

Back