HAs and Ear Infections

KikLove

Reaction score
I've had a really bad ear infection the last few days in both my ears. Both are constantly hurting and loud sounds are making it worse.

I haven't been wearing my hearing aids but the doctor told me to visit with my ENT but not wear my hearing aids when I went. So I checked in with my ENT apparently I do have a middle ear infection.

The problem is the constant feeling of pain in my ears is driving me nuts and I've been having to attempt to wear my HAs at work but it is still hurting even with medicine drops to put in my ears. He also wants me to start taking allergy medicine to make sure I don't get any more ear infections.

My issue is taking allergy medicine every day...wouldn't it possibly require you to eventually get a stronger dose your body becomes used to the medicine?

Seeing as I've never had an ear infection with hearing aids before...do you all have some advice for me? Especially with the drainage that caused the ear infections?

I believe you have RIC HAs so not sure how it would work but I'll share my experience.

Had a huge amount of middle ear infections as a child which needed operations in the end.

Since not having colored earmolds and using stay dri tubing, they stopped which was great. Last year I couldn't get rid of ear infections in both ears and I ended up having them for about 7 months in total, worse thing ever. Since washing my ear molds in savlon, I've not had any infections. I find I get outer and middle ear infections together.

One thing I found caused my middle ear infections which has now resulted in my left middle ear bones been taken out and replaced with a T bar, was dairy, mainly milk and chocolate.

I find allergy meds to help but I don't take them everyday tho.

Whenever I take a hot shower I let tye water run in both ears for a bit. Then immediately dry. If I swim then i immediately try to get the water out when im done swimming. Doing these two things almost entirely eliminated ear infections for me. If you use medicine, lay on one side and stay there for at least 5 minutes per ear. And often.

Has anyone tried a hydrogen peroxide wash. I was advised by my doctor to take a small amount of room temperature hydrogen peroxide and mix it with an equal amount of hot water so that you have a 50/50 warm solution. Pour it in your ears while showering once a week and it cleans out all the wax and disinfects your ear canal. It may cause some dizziness but my audi always tells me that she has never seen cleaner ears.

Back