Hard of hearing teen girl

kelsey2013

Reaction score
Hi my name is Kelsey Smith. I am 16. I am hard of hearing but I do not know many deaf teens because my parents put in public school and I am just now really learning how to sign. I was hoping to find deaf teens my age to Skype with so I can have more friends and get better at signing. :)

WELCOME!!!!!! What state are you in? You do know you could opt to transfer to a public school with a Dhh program or even a state Deaf School, don't you? You can also attend summer camp at a deaf school! There are a plethora of options to expose you to ASL....you know, you could request transferring to a Deaf School or program so you can become fluent in ASL. If someone had told me when i was your age, that going to a Deaf school or program or camp was an option, I would have KILLED to go. It is SO different from hearing public school!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome! I'm SO glad you are learning ASL now, it's a lot easier when you learn it earlier on. You won't be sorry! And I second the comments above about finding a school with a DHH program or even considering a Deaf school, it will do you a world of good. :)

welcome! I am not sure if gallaudet in DC do host a summer camp or check with mark7 camp in upstate ny.

but first focus on where you live and start to see if you can feel comfortable going to the deaf events. It will always be hard at first and eventually you will feel more comfortable. It depends on which state you are in, some states have awesome events.

stick around. :)

welcome! I am not sure if gallaudet in DC do host a summer camp or check with mark7 camp in upstate ny.

but first focus on where you live and start to see if you can feel comfortable going to the deaf events. It will always be hard at first and eventually you will feel more comfortable. It depends on which state you are in, some states have awesome events.

stick around. :)

Gally offers both a course for oral kids to learn ASL and offers the other camps for both oral and signing kids....there's also the NTID summer program...EYF right? Also lots of the state schools offer summer programs etc.

Hi Danny!!!!! Welcome! And again, there's a lot of support for you! Check into Deaf Schools, ASL etc....I do know that postlingal dhh kids vary...Maybe you could go to a deaf camp or something!

in high school i was some what popular but not a bad person i am good with people i have a deaf father so i am patient and i just think i was poplular not for sports or anything i was just good fun and i have a good personality and was well liked by everyone. just what people will think when i go deaf is hard ti imagine and had a bit of a rep as in no one messed with me and now i feel i have losed that

You have a deaf father? Does he know ASL? Seriously, do you have a progrssive loss? Are you afraid that you're going to be lumped in with the "special ed" or "different" kids.....believe me I know all too well....high school sucked so badly for me. But it's only a few more years...and you know what? Maybe you could go to Gally or NTID or a deaf camp to get through high school. if things have been OK so far, they'll pretty much continue being that way I think.

it isnt the same where i go they are not that bad if so i would still kick their ... but it isnt all like that for me but me going deaf isnt final yet i still have a bit of hope

it isnt the same where i go they are not that bad if so i would still kick their ... but it isnt all like that for me but me going deaf isnt final yet i still have a bit of hope

Well in that case, I think maybe a good idea would be to continue on with your current placement. Trust me......things won't change just b/c you're deaf. I think in this case, you could meet other dhh teens, like at deaf camp, and survive that way....and there are always kids at the NTID EYF program who are just starting to learn ASL! I think you just need to meet other dhh kids out there!

Hey Danny, welcome to AD. I think you will like it here. Just curious, are you a guy or a girl?

i am a guy i left high school now and i attend collage now with people of all different disability's so i feel more comfortable. i do like it here i feel like i have all the support i need apart from family and friends. but i am going deaf due to a neurological disease known as NF2 some here may be familiar

Back