hard of hearing and depression

i suffer from depression, but it;s not really related to my deafness. depression runs in the family (both mom and dad's families have depression), and my meningitis could also be a factor as well

"WARNING: If ANYONE makes a post suggesting another person getting a CI I will personally go to the CI forum and tell someone not to get a CI."
Could you tell would not suggest a peson yo get a CI as my DR what to see if I am a good canidate for this.

Please try to make some more sense next time and I will reply.

I'm Hard of Hearing as well, and on the path of being completely deaf sooner or later... isn't a big deal but depression does play a role on me. Not a whole lot but the fact that it's hard to be in a conversation with people that are hearing and understand what's going on, topic wise makes me depressed every now and then.

Could you tell me why you would not suggest a peson to get a CI .as my DR what to see if I am a good canidate for this.

if you mean "as your doctor WANTS to see.." instead of what ---

In your case, I would prefer you to want to be a candidate, instead of him wanting you to be one.

HHIssues, the trouble with HLAA is that it seems to be very Hearing Health 101, and more about "Oh boo hoo hoo...it's SO horrible being dhh!" It's more like one of those health support groups that meets out of a doctor's office, rather then a real cultural community. Also, most people who are members are old people, with age induced losses rather then people who have been dhh all their lives.
It's a great organization for people with age induced losses or postlingal people, or people who may have unilateral losses, don't get me wrong. Some people who have been dhh all their lives like it.....but it does seem overall that many people with pediatric losses don't really find HLAA all too helpful. It's basicly the same old Hearing Health 101 stuff we got as kids.
Well, just for the record, I've been to some HLAA events or functions myself.

And it does give the oral-deaf, hearing-impaired, hard of hearing and late deafened the opportunity to interact with others like themselves. And thought I'd mention it to the thread starter. Since he had stated that he had difficulty fitting in the deaf and hearing world. Thus thought it might be helpful for him to meet more hard of hearing people like himself.

Well, just for the record, I've been to some HLAA events or functions myself.

And it does give the oral-deaf, hearing-impaired, hard of hearing and late deafened the opportunity to interact with others like themselves. And thought I'd mention it to the thread starter. Since he had stated that he had difficulty fitting in the deaf and hearing world. Thus thought it might be helpful for him to meet more hard of hearing people like himself.

Makes sense on paper, however most of the times the people like him are the ones that gather in these events, so they share the same feelings. So it doesn't really do much other than validating the shitty feeling you have of being stuck between both hearing and deaf worlds.

HHIssues, true, but it is a fact that most members there are late deafened, and it's baiscly Hearing Health 101. (teh LATEST hearing aids/CIs etc etc) Also, it's not nessarily a great "in between worlds" organization. This site is actually WAY better for that......and you know maybe the orgional poster tried the Deaf stuff back when it was basicly "only for oral failures" The deaf community is a LOT more hoh friendly now.
Actually, to the OP, can you get to Rochester NY easily? Maybe too, a good idea might be to find a counselor or other mental health expert who is familiar with treating dhh folks.

difficult to my emotion and feeling not weak. I wonder complication because feeling really seems. I am pretty weak and not feel well because not cope because not easy that is why not easy but I have reason concern rough! that is not easy! really not feeling!

HHIssues, true, but it is a fact that most members there are late deafened, and it's baiscly Hearing Health 101. (teh LATEST hearing aids/CIs etc etc) Also, it's not nessarily a great "in between worlds" organization. This site is actually WAY better for that......and you know maybe the orgional poster tried the Deaf stuff back when it was basicly "only for oral failures" The deaf community is a LOT more hoh friendly now.
Actually, to the OP, can you get to Rochester NY easily? Maybe too, a good idea might be to find a counselor or other mental health expert who is familiar with treating dhh folks.

Or He may contact the aurora agency for referring him to the proper information if he would like to ask specific questions. Aurora may be able to answer lot of questions. I know few of them are nice people who works there. Remind you that some of those syracuse people are very good with hearing loss, deaf, hoh and ci users. It would be convenient for this OP who lives in syracuse.

Deaf Rehabilitation Services « AURORA of Central New York

I mistake it wrong! I am not notice it. I have really seems pretty sound. I think so might to let know me you are professional support help counsellor!

Deaf/HofH support group

As a matter of fact I did contact Aurora and the gentleman said he will mail me a postcard letting me know when the next meeting is. I am looking forward to it!

=) Hope you find things to be well :)

I second that. Good luck, brubeckbach!

As for me, I definitely get mild depression from time to time over being HoH. It also can compound other stresses in my life. It's definitely something that I have to actively combat with a positive mentality on a daily basis. I'm currently clawing myself out of a such a funk. The things that help the most are exercising, being around other deaf people and using sign language.

The things that make it worse are being alone and being in a group of hearing people that I cannot communicate with.

As a matter of fact I did contact Aurora and the gentleman said he will mail me a postcard letting me know when the next meeting is. I am looking forward to it!

Oh, Hope it is something what you are looking for. Remember, if you want something more then ask Aurora to see if they have something else to offer or refer you to the other agency. I did meet several people who works there and some of them are real helpful, only if you can tell them what you are looking for, then they will be able to make it happen whatever it is. Just keep working on it. good luck.

=) Hope you find things to be well :)

Ditto

I second that. Good luck, brubeckbach!

Make it third. :)

Before I started losing my hearing, when I was in college, one of my friends happened who happened to be hoh and she participated in what was SHHH at that time <now HLAA>. I went to a couple of meetings with her. It was as DD describes. Strong focus on technology with little or no acknowledgment on ASL/involvement in Deaf community. For me personally now, that doesn't fit either, though audiologically I suppose at moment I have what is considered mild loss.

You ought to also try the Hearing Loss Association of America to meet more people like yourself.

I think that it's inappropriate to tell someone to get a CI for the same reason that it's inappropriate to tell someone to get a pacemaker, a nose job, etc. Those kind of comments cross a personal boundary.

I hope that you find the peace and comfort that you seek. You may want to consider a group led by a trained therapist to help you through the grief process. Getting to acceptance is important for your mental health.

Back