HARD+DIFFICULT words to fingerspell?

zestymeatballs

Reaction score
What are words that you find challenging to fingerspell?
Are they still hard for you now?

-restaurant
-complicated

Words with lots of "I" letters; for some reason, I have difficulty with that letter mixed in with other letters.

We watched a video where the Deaf host repeatedly fingerspelled "Individualist" and "Collectivist". That's pretty hard.

For some reason I almost always trip up on my own name. It's the "A" to "Y" that gets me.

What are words that you find challenging to fingerspell?
Are they still hard for you now?

-restaurant
-complicated

well - since we already have signs for those words... I think it's best to ask what is difficult for you to fingerspell.

for example - fingerspelling any word with ..... i dunno - L-D?

I have dupuytren's contracture in my hands so my fingerspelling is far from quick and graceful. The hardest is the W(6) shape, in words or alone.

You are correct; it's not necessary to spell those words because they have signs. :)

I've also read or heard from somewhere that it isn't appropriate to spell out English words that one does not know in ASL, and that in those case that mimming is better.

Or maybe someone wrote that just so they could see hearing people make funny nonsensical gestures when they don't know a word? :giggle:

I fingerspell street names and names of people that I meet.
I also practice fingerspelling 100 top boys names and 100 top girls names.

But none of it has been hard. I know speed will come with time.

I hate to say this, but they are not too difficult for me. I grew up to sign since I was about 2. So, I am fluent in ASL. I've been signing for almost entire my life. :)

Back