Happy Veteran's Day

Schools shouldn't be closed on Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day. Just saying.

lol why not?

Thank honor of happy veteran's Day is very!!! school is very closed!! Holiday all the shopping today!

Yesterday morning, I went to downtown to respect the veterans. Someone wrote (on the beach sand) and said "Respect the soldiers!" (I took some pictures of these people including my neighbor and his son.)

Thank you for all our veterans for your service to our country.
Happy (belated) Veteran's Day!

Our schools here are closed because of the holiday.

lol why not?

Because it's not a celebration. We didn't earn the holiday, the veterans did.

Here's a column...

Matt Gurney: Remembrance Day the wrong time for a holiday | Full Comment | National Post

By making it a statutory holiday would change the meaning of the observation. Here, we have a moment of silence at 11 am in the morning across the province. Not just that, it's a tradition for the students to observe the special occasion in schools.

What difference would it makes if we made it a statutory holiday? To some, not so much, to some, a hell lot. I believe it would have a negative impact if we did.

In the past, I have read that most of the veterans are against the idea of making it a statutory holiday. That alone should tell you something.

Because it's not a celebration. We didn't earn the holiday, the veterans did.

Here's a column...

Matt Gurney: Remembrance Day the wrong time for a holiday | Full Comment | National Post

By making it a statutory holiday would change the meaning of the observation. Here, we have a moment of silence at 11 am in the morning across the province. Not just that, it's a tradition for the students to observe the special occasion in schools.

What difference would it makes if we made it a statutory holiday? To some, not so much, to some, a hell lot. I believe it would have a negative impact if we did.

In the past, I have read that most of the veterans are against the idea of making it a statutory holiday. That alone should tell you something.
It would be nice if public schools used the day to learn about our veterans, and perhaps attend a parade or ceremony as a field trip. It would be great if they could have veterans speak at their schools.

Our church's Christian school puts on a program at school for honoring veterans.

Hubby participated in a parade and ceremony yesterday.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

He was very touched by the people, especially the kids, who turned out at the parade and waved their little flags and cheered the veterans.

It would be nice if public schools used the day to learn about our veterans, and perhaps attend a parade or ceremony as a field trip. It would be great if they could have veterans speak at their schools.

Our church's Christian school puts on a program at school for honoring veterans.

Hubby participated in a parade and ceremony yesterday.

He was very touched by the people, especially the kids, who turned out at the parade and waved their little flags and cheered the veterans.

That's a great idea. Honestly, the schools should do something like that. Usually, what we do at schools is put on a presentation, some short plays, singing some songs as a way of paying tribute to the veterans.

I recall having a holocaust victim visiting us during the month of November. It was a very powerful experience for the students. However, I can't recall ever having a veteran paying a visit. It would had been nice though.

That's a great idea. Honestly, the schools should do something like that. Usually, what we do at schools is put on a presentation, some short plays, singing some songs as a way of paying tribute to the veterans.

I recall having a holocaust victim visiting us during the month of November. It was a very powerful experience for the students. However, I can't recall ever having a veteran paying a visit. It would had been nice though.

that's what we do here. many many families have a get-together with others and participate in Veteran-related activities such as parade, war memorial, war museums, Legion Post, etc.

This is a great opportunity for our children to get a real firsthand experience that they can't get from their history class :) otherwise.... they assume it's all about spraying machine guns and throwing grenades at "commie bastards" like it's adrenaline-pumping fun.... like Call of Duty game :roll:

that's what we do here. many many families have a get-together with others and participate in Veteran-related activities such as parade, war memorial, war museums, Legion Post, etc.

This is a great opportunity for our children to get a real firsthand experience that they can't get from their history class :) otherwise.... they assume it's all about spraying machine guns and throwing grenades at "commie bastards" like it's adrenaline-pumping fun.... like Call of Duty game :roll:

The problem is, if they do make it a statutory holiday here in Ontario, people would just think of it as another day off. It's a day everyone needs to recognize including workplaces, schools and such. Schools by law are required to have Remembrance Day assemblies across the province. I would rather have the students learn about the history and have guest speakers who went through wars, or attend ceremonies. They shouldn't be given a choice on whether to attend or not. They shouldn't be staying at home watching Spongebob Squarepants.

Just look at some holidays like Memorial Day, people don't seem to show much respect for it. They would rather go and see a lousy blockbuster like Transformers on Memorial Day instead of paying tribute to the fallen ones. It's as if it is being overshadowed by the commercialization among us.

Just saying.

The problem is, if they do make it a statutory holiday here in Ontario, people would just think of it as another day off. It's a day everyone needs to recognize including workplaces, schools and such. Schools by law are required to have Remembrance Day assemblies across the province. I would rather have the students learn about the history and have guest speakers who went through wars, or attend ceremonies. They shouldn't be given a choice on whether to attend or not. They shouldn't be staying at home watching Spongebob Squarepants.

Just look at some holidays like Memorial Day, people don't seem to show much respect for it. They would rather go and see a lousy blockbuster like Transformers on Memorial Day instead of paying tribute to the fallen ones. It's as if it is being overshadowed by the commercialization among us.

Just saying.

what a sad sad sad bunch of ungrateful brats. fortunately.... a significant portion of us do pay respect to the fallen ones and veterans.

what a sad sad sad bunch of ungrateful brats. fortunately.... a significant portion of us do pay respect to the fallen ones and veterans.

The meaning behind Memorial Day is often overshadowed by excitement for weekend vacations, barbecues and beach days. This year, take time to honor the men and women that have lost their lives serving in the armed forces.

Memorial Day: How To Get Involved

It's the same with Christmas and Easter, for some, it's all about getting presents. Thankfully, that is not what Christmas is to me. There is a much deeper meaning to it. Just as Remembrance Day means a lot to me.

Commercialization is out of control and they need to put a stop to it. That's why I don't want to see Remembrance Day turned into a commercialized event like many other holidays are. They just end up being meaningless to many.

Back