Hammond Ham

Hammond Ham

Reaction score
Now 70+, retired, living near Preston, TX, near Lake Texoma (TX-OK border). I have two adopted children (now 38 & 42). The daughter, 42, has been raised using SEE1, so English is her primary language. She was born totally deaf from German Measles. She has two college degrees and has an English acumen above the post graduate level. She is fluent in both SEE1 and ASL. My son, 38, was born hearing but lost most of it with a bout of Spinal Meningitis before his second birthday. He, also, was born with Fetal Alcohol Effect. Both my wife and I are (were) fluent in SEE1 and both have served as staff transliterators at a major graduate school in Texas. Both of us are now retired. Sadly, without the children around, I am not as skilled as one I was. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have at "hammond_ham@juno.com". HH

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. As you know that this is a discussion board. You and your wife are most welcome to discuss or debate about deafness, Deaf Culture and hearing aids or CIs. We have many topics that you both want to pick to discuss so that you both would not feel alone as you discuss. Also you have to wait 50 posts or 100 posts that our administrator, Alex, set up for PM message which is on the upper corner (right) to make a messages. So join us and have fun with reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hello there. Join in our conversations right here. :)

Thank you. Sadly my wife and I divorced several years back, but we stay in contact. I wish to complement you on your use of English. My limited experience with the deaf is only about 40 years. In that time I have dealt with most deaf issues, sign systems . CIs, HAs and other, sometimes, controversial subjects. Our family had one of the first CC TV adapters, a gift from Sears, Chicago. My daughter has had 2 CIs, the first the 3M single channel and, later, the multi-channel, neither of which proved beneficial since she was beyond her auditory development stage. I have been involved with David Anthony and Dr. Wanda Milburn in the development and promulgation of SEE1/MSS and have endured much maligning at the hands of militant ASL users and educators. So I am no longer "thin skinned". I am impervious to the slings and arrows of negativity and have my own (new?) Latin motto...."Non Illigitimae Carborundum", loosely interpreted as "Don't let the bastards wear you down"! They never have and never will. Grin HH

Back