Half-life newbie

Firebrand

Reaction score
:deaf: I was born blind in my left eye and profoundly deaf in both ears. I was raised in the hearing world and taught how to speak without being taught any sign language. I went to college at Purdue University and studied biology for a year and a half before I had to drop out when I was 20 due to severe chronic major depression that turned out to be treatment-resistant. My personality was changed forever. I recovered somewhat and got married to my college bf. I've been an artist/housewife until I ended up with a brain lesion when I was 33 years old. For months, I was a medical mystery. Then, after 5 MRI scans, my neurologist thinks it was a stroke. Who knows if it's the right diagnosis, but I've been living with uncertainty ever since.

I never really had any contact with the deaf community. My husband is slightly hearing impaired and doesn't even consider his own impairment. I'm so not into being a victim, but life has beaten me up so very badly. I've been fighting for years - alone. I wish I had this site a long time ago. I like to have fun. We don't have many friends in real life. I have plenty of friends onine. I really need local friends. Most people talk too fast for me to lip-read, so I do best on one-on-one.

Hehe. I hope that didn't sound too depressing. I'm a fun person to be around. I do have depression and that's what I need to stay on top of. But, I look forward to getting to know you here. :locked:

Guess what? I am deaf and blind. All the way for the right eye, and the left eye is going at it's own speed.

I am generally happy except when I am in pain from my eye disease, and there are several more people here in the same boat.

So for company and others like you , you have come to the right place.

:welcome:

Welcome to AllDeaf!!! :wave:

I know that we here at AD can offer emotional support in a fun way. They do for me and a lot of others here as well. My advice is to read and join in on some of the threads, but keep in mind, we all kind of kid around and not everyone is a mean know-it-all.

Welcome to AllDeaf!!! :wave:

I know that we here at AD can offer emotional support in a fun way. They do for me and a lot of others here as well. My advice is to read and join in on some of the threads, but keep in mind, we all kind of kid around and not everyone is a mean know-it-all.

Quit talking about me behind my back! Do I need to add omniscient to my title?:cool2:

:welcome: to AD! Hope you enjoy it here. :)

I see that we're already goofing around.

:laugh2::bowlol:

Man, we sure have the coolest set of smiley emoticons........

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you and your husband can enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. There is a lot of discussions about deafness, Deaf Culture and ASL (American Sign Language). Also discussions about lots of things in the topics. So have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

A movement to add more smiley emoticons???? Wow! That would be so much fun! :shock:

So do we have a live chat room?????? Not the Deaf Chat World. I mean, one from this site?

A movement to add more smiley emoticons???? Wow! That would be so much fun! :shock:

So do we have a live chat room?????? Not the Deaf Chat World. I mean, one from this site?

Not per se. This is a giant live chat room a lot of the time. Just talk to whoever you want about what interests you.

I agree with Bott, many folks use the General Chat section to ramble and vent ((clears throat)) myself included.

There IS an AIM blast room, but I can't locate the link.. odd...

Also, we usually have instant messenger(s) and some of us won't mind the chit chat when you become familiar to us :) welcome to AD!

I agree with Bott, many folks use the General Chat section to ramble and vent ((clears throat)) myself included.

There IS an AIM blast room, but I can't locate the link.. odd...

Also, we usually have instant messenger(s) and some of us won't mind the chit chat when you become familiar to us :) welcome to AD!

http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/73289-aim-blast-group.html

PM your AIM screen name to me or souggy or anakin because it's invite only.

Back