Haiti Man being pulled out 14 days after earthquake

EyesBlueDeaf

Reaction score
Man pulled out alive 14 days after Haiti quake
Man pulled out alive from Haiti quake rubble - Haiti earthquake- msnbc.com

PORT-AU-PRINCE - U.S. troops pulled a man alive from the rubble of a building in Haiti's destroyed capital on Tuesday, two weeks after a massive earthquake rattled the country.

It was not immediately clear if he became trapped in the initial Jan. 12 quake or during one of the many aftershocks since then.

The man, identified by Reuters as Rico Dibrivell, was covered in dust and dressed only in underpants when he was carried out from the ruins of a building in downtown Port-au-Prince.

The U.S. military confirmed that soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division from Fort Bragg, N.C., rescued a 31-year-old Haitian man two blocks from the Port-au-Prince Cathedral on Rue de Miracle.

The victim had a broken leg and severe dehydration. He was evacuated to a nearby U.S. medical assistance team for treatment, a U.S. military statement said.

"We don't know if he was there from the beginning or in one of the aftershocks he may have gone under," U.S. Army Spc. Andrew Pourak, who was at the scene, told the AFP news agency.

"He got sent to the hospital. He's going to make it," Pourak said.

The magnitude-7.0 earthquake that struck two weeks ago killed as many as 200,000 people. Most authorities had given up hope this week finding any more survivors and were focusing relief efforts on getting help to hundreds of thousands of survivors left homeless, hungry and injured.

Praying under rubble
The last known rescue prior to Tuesday happened on Saturday, when a man was extricated after spending 11 days under the rubble in Port-au-Prince.

Wismond Exantus, 22, told The Associated Press from his cot in a French field hospital on Sunday that the first thing he wanted to do was find a church to give thanks.

That is fantastic!!! I know hope is very diminished, but here's hoping they can find more alive in the days to come.

I don't think I would live without water for that long days.

On CNN, a journalist said that the guy was probably buried while scavenging after the earthquake. Aftershocks and scavenging in rubble are dangerous. In any case, this man is lucky to be rescued.

Back