Hair + HA = loud noises?

YodaDog

Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm very new to this. I picked up my first pair of HAs recently and noticed that having long hair, every time I move my head and my hair goes over the mic, all I hear is static and crackling noises. My audiologist assures me that this can be fixed by tweaking the programming. Has anyone had success with fixing this issue, and is this how? I'm not sure if it's due to the model and my not "getting along with it" or if it's something which is common? I trust the audiologist, but was curious to hear what others have to say. Thanks :)

Sounds like your hair has a lot of static in it. Use a moisturizing conditioner. I generally keep mine braided. Other than that, go back for a fine-tuning. I don't have any problem with that. There are some sounds that you will get used to, that you don't remember hearing, or didn't hear before.

Sorry you're going through that.

I can't think of anything that would help. The hair conditioner does sound like a good idea... the same goes for tying your hair back.

Ever thought about getting a haircut (so that your hair doesn't move as much)?

I've heard several CI recipients say that this was an issue initially, the sound of their hair was terribly disruptive, but after some weeks or months they realized they no longer had the problem, their brains began to knock out that sound as insignificant. But they had to deal with it for a while before that coUld happen.

I've had a similar problem and spoke to my audi about it. She gave me longer tubing so that my hearing aid hangs a bit lower on my ear, and that helps a little. But other than that, she said there was nothing they could do about it and that it was a common complaint.

I generally wear my hair pulled up above my ears. But then I was doing that before I got BTEs.

Thanks for the ideas. I use conditioner, I just have lots of hair. I can't cut it without it looking awkward because it's curly. The longer tube sounds like a good idea, and I'm hoping that programming could fix this. It's so overly frustrating because they DO work and for the first time I think I heard every word said in class, but at the same time I can't deal with the annoyance of hearing a loud static sound every time I move my head and my hair moves. Even when it's tied back, it'll hit the HAs and make the static. I have such a headache after taking them out for the night.

Oh, I never had that problem so I have no advice for you. It did remind me of when I got my first pair of HA's a lifetime ago. Everything was so LOUD. I kept adjusting the volume lower and lower and lower until my Mom complained that my hearing actually seemed worse when I had them in.

Turns out I had lowered the volume so much I had actually turned them off and instead they were acting as expensive earplugs instead of hearing aids :laugh2:

It does take time to get used to being able to hear stuff and eventually you'll filter a lot of it out without realizing it.

I have HA and CI, I never had problems with the hair over the mic, I guess as a lifetime wearer I am used to it. I have had all sorts of hair styles all my life. Currently sporting a bob - no issues.

I have HA and CI, I never had problems with the hair over the mic, I guess as a lifetime wearer I am used to it. I have had all sorts of hair styles all my life. Currently sporting a bob - no issues.

I've never had any problems with hair noise either and have tried all sorts of hairstyles over the years, but I've worn HAs since I was a kid and am probably used to the sound.

When you get new HAs you tend to notice all sorts of sounds that you've not heard before, but after a while you get used to it and don't notice them as much. You will probably find this is the case with your hair.

reminds me of my analog hearing aids which makes a staticky sound! but only to let me know when the battery's going out.
but the feedback? let me tell you, it can be annoying AND scared the crap out of my parents too LOL!!!!

Back