Had My First Implant Yesterday

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
I'm really happy with my decision on getting a CI. I am anxious already for my activation on the 31st. I went with AB when originally I was going with Med El. I was surprised that I didn't need my hair to c shaved and that was a plus. My doctor is the best and did everything my way. I do have to keep the part where the magnets meet cut cause I have curly hair but it's ok I wear my hair down and no one will see it. I have a lot of ringing in my ear and some soreness in my neck. My vertigo is crazy right now but I will have therapy for that. But over all I'm good.

good to know.
curious what kind of therapy for vertigo is it like chiropractic therapy?

Lucky! I swear my surgeon loves shaving heads... O_o Hope your recovery process is quick and easy! Vertigo is definitely no fun.

Lucky! I swear my surgeon loves shaving heads... O_o Hope your recovery process is quick and easy! Vertigo is definitely no fun.
I almost feel out last night No fun at all. I can't wait til I have therapy for that. And I really want this ringing to stop.

I have read that nearly everyone had CI surgery initially has vertigo issues. For most people, it will dissipate quickly. For some, however, it can be long lasting or permanent.

I don't have a CI but I do have occasional issues with vertigo. I found this self-help video that works like a charm for me. I don't know if it will work if the cause was do to surgery. Also, you may not be able to lay in the various positions yet. After some practice, I found that I can resolve it without laying down but angling my head in the various positions.

When I had my surgery, I had no vertigo. My best friend just got hers 2 months ago and she experienced bad vertigo. Anyways, congrats and best of luck with the activation on the 31st!

It has been almost a year since getting activated. Nope, I do not hear perfectly and ASL is still the only fully accessible language for me but it does help me at work where nobody uses ASL. Plus music right now is AMAZING!! I am dancing more and more. lol

Sound so exciting! It is important to be reassured in one's decision.
I think it is the worst thing to get something to this scale done only to realise it was a huge mistake - I am so glad
you are able to confirm the CI was the right, happy choice! :)

Fuzzy

Sound so exciting! It is important to be reassured in one's decision.
I think it is the worst thing to get something to this scale done only to realise it was a huge mistake - I am so glad
you are able to confirm the CI was the right, happy choice! :)

Fuzzy

well......., since the device isn't activated yet, perhaps waiting till it actually is operational and working may be a good idea..before being happy in the choice, after all it was implanted for a reason id imagine..

thats one approach anyway..

well......., since the device isn't activated yet, perhaps waiting till it actually is operational and working may be a good idea..before being happy in the choice, after all it was implanted for a reason id imagine..

thats one approach anyway..

Don't be a party pooper, I am sure everything will go splendidly!

Fuzzy

thats a good thought,

but my iea als o is an approach...

I'm really happy with my decision on getting a CI. I am anxious already for my activation on the 31st. I went with AB when originally I was going with Med El. I was surprised that I didn't need my hair to c shaved and that was a plus. My doctor is the best and did everything my way. I do have to keep the part where the magnets meet cut cause I have curly hair but it's ok I wear my hair down and no one will see it. I have a lot of ringing in my ear and some soreness in my neck. My vertigo is crazy right now but I will have therapy for that. But over all I'm good.

I didn't get vertigo or any more ringing than I already had Tinnitus was something that I already dealt with.

More than likely everything will go great. You were hearing before, we're the best candidates for CI. In 5 days it will be my hearaversary, one year since activation. Lots and lots of progress the first 1-2 months. Things to keep in mind, they start you off with very little volume (stimulation). So everything is going to sound weird, and very high at first. Don't let that be discouraging, it's normal. You have 5 program slots that at first is only programmed with increasing volume, just to get you used to the new stimulation. Once you get more volume things will start to sound more normal. I remember after 1-2 weeks just trying it back on the lowest volume setting and couldn't hear anything. It was amazing that I could hear at all, but that's exactly why they do it that way, because you have to ease into it.

The first 2-3 weeks I felt like I was on a submarine. You know the sound a sonar makes? That echoing ping? For every sound that I didn't recognize that's what my brain interpreted as. But once your brain starts correlations, like, okay that was the fan, that's a dog barking etc, whatever weird noise you hear will start to be interpreted correctly. So just hang in and keep wearing it, keep listening. :)
I hadn't heard speech in probably 3 years before I got my implant. I lip read, and I still did extremely well right from the beginning.
When I had my surgery, I had no vertigo. My best friend just got hers 2 months ago and she experienced bad vertigo. Anyways, congrats and best of luck with the activation on the 31st!

It has been almost a year since getting activated. Nope, I do not hear perfectly and ASL is still the only fully accessible language for me but it does help me at work where nobody uses ASL. Plus music right now is AMAZING!! I am dancing more and more. lol

Whoo hoo!!! I haven't seen you in forever and last I remember you were disappointed with music. Glad to see that has improved!!

I didn't have vertigo with the first CI. After the 2nd, I thought things were going fine.... was about a week or so after the surgery, I was sitting in math class taking a test when I had a sneeze attack (I have hayfever allergies) and bam! That was no fun. Still not sure how I managed to get home. Called surgeon's office and he prescribed some prednisone and something else (better than dramamine) to help. Took a few days to get over that.

good to know.
curious what kind of therapy for vertigo is it like chiropractic therapy?

First therapy for vertigo is done by real licensed professionals. (I know chiropractors are "lisence dollars" but they operate dangerous equipment without any real training).

That is not the point.
I had crazy vertigo before and right after my cochlear implant. Before I'd have to lay down to keep from puking. After I had to hold on the walls for a few days but after a week I could walk a straight line with my eyes closed.
Your 8th cranial nerve (which is aptly named the vestibulocochlear nerve) just got a bunch of stuff put near it that will annoy it. It won't behave for a few days to weeks.
It is normal.

Yoga or even just balancing on one foot with your eyes closed lets your body know where it is in space. I spent a bunch of time going through the ballet positions (while having something to hold if I lost my balance). Now I can pirouette two or three times around, plant both feet and only be moderately dizzy. I only took a year of college ballet but it helped me so much with balance.

I think you made a great choice going with AB because from what I learned after getting mine (Cochlear), AB is very good a sound processing. I had 0 issues after my surgery and I believe you'll recover quickly! Also, make sure you sleep upright for the first week or two to keep the swelling reduced and DO NOT BLOW YOUR NOSE!!! Congrats!!!

I have been feeling around trying to find where the implant is and I swear I can't feel it bob have this huge lump right behind my ear and nothing above it. I think the implant slipped but not sure

Don't be a party pooper, I am sure everything will go splendidly!

Fuzzy
I didn't get vertigo or any more ringing than I already had Tinnitus was something that I already dealt with.

More than likely everything will go great. You were hearing before, we're the best candidates for CI. In 5 days it will be my hearaversary, one year since activation. Lots and lots of progress the first 1-2 months. Things to keep in mind, they start you off with very little volume (stimulation). So everything is going to sound weird, and very high at first. Don't let that be discouraging, it's normal. You have 5 program slots that at first is only programmed with increasing volume, just to get you used to the new stimulation. Once you get more volume things will start to sound more normal. I remember after 1-2 weeks just trying it back on the lowest volume setting and couldn't hear anything. It was amazing that I could hear at all, but that's exactly why they do it that way, because you have to ease into it.

The first 2-3 weeks I felt like I was on a submarine. You know the sound a sonar makes? That echoing ping? For every sound that I didn't recognize that's what my brain interpreted as. But once your brain starts correlations, like, okay that was the fan, that's a dog barking etc, whatever weird noise you hear will start to be interpreted correctly. So just hang in and keep wearing it, keep listening. :)
I hadn't heard speech in probably 3 years before I got my implant. I lip read, and I still did extremely well right from the beginning.

Whoo hoo!!! I haven't seen you in forever and last I remember you were disappointed with music. Glad to see that has improved!!
Thanks Ambrosia,

I had to stop comparing what I heard with my hearing aids with how I heard with the CI and just relearn how to listen to music in this different and odd way. Now, it is better. Still cannot hear the bass though but I have accepted that and moved on. My best friend is struggling with the same thing with hers now and is so frustrated.

Back