"Had" and "Have" Sign

Barbaro

Reaction score
I am familiar with "have", "has" and "had" signs. I don't sign V, S, and D letters unless they ask me to sign them. My preference is I usually place the fingertips of both bent hands on the chest.

Anyway, I met a few Deaf friends who are much older than me who sign "had" or "have" in a different way. The sign is similar to "already".

Where did that sign come from? SEE 2 or ASL?

Thanks.

I am familiar with "have", "has" and "had" signs. I don't sign V, S, and D letters unless they ask me to sign them. My preference is I usually place the fingertips of both bent hands on the chest.

Anyway, I met a few Deaf friends who are much older than me who sign "had" or "have" in a different way. The sign is similar to "already".

Where did that sign come from? SEE 2 or ASL?

Thanks.
Two different concepts, two different signs, one English word--that's the confusion.

The English word "have" can mean either possession or it can be used as the helper/auxiliary verb showing a continuous completed act of another verb. Examples:

1. I have a Jeep. (possession)

2. I have paid my rent on time every month. (the completed action--paid)

In the first case, that would be the HAVE sign.

In the second case, that would be the FINISH sign.

"Had"

ASL GLOSS

#HAD - ALREADY

"Have"

ASL GLOSS

HAVE

Two different concepts, two different signs, one English word--that's the confusion.

The English word "have" can mean either possession or it can be used as the helper verb showing a continuous completed act of another verb. Examples:

1. I have a Jeep. (possession)

2. I have paid my rent on time every month. (the completed action--paid)

In the first case, that would be the HAVE sign.

In the second case, that would be the FINISH sign.

That makes sense. I am not fluent in ASL. I was confused by my Deaf friends' ASL, because when they read sentences from the book. For example," I have a dog." But they did sign the FINISH sign. I was very confused by that. It's been a while since I took ASL lessons. That's why I asked for clarification.

As for "have been", Would that be the FINISH sign, right?

Oh, disregard my last question. Reba, I did not see your last post.

Back