HA died - just venting and a quick Q for HA wearers

frostywolf

Reaction score
I am so, so annoyed. My right HA died on NYE at ~10 minutes before 5pm. Why should I be so annoyed? Because I flew out of town for vacation on the 3rd. And I'm cruising so it's not like I can just have it sent to me. Argh!

Quick question for HA wearers -- Do any of you have problems wearing just one HA? When I have just one in (like now while one isn't working), it makes me feel a little nauseous or off balance wearing just one. I don't know how I'm going to make it through my vacation like this.

I don't have the nauseating or off-balance feeling that you experience when I use only one hearing aid. I'm actually down to one hearing aid right now until I get my new molds. Squeals too much to have the other one in and it doesn't really offer added value.

But, the only real change, for me, is that I can't hear and understand nearly as well with just one hearing aid. So, it certainly made for interesting conversations over the holidays with friends and family as I frequently misunderstood their questions.

I get dizzy with only one it. Not really nauseous, but yes dizzy. However, I do have balance problems usually anyway (ironically, only when im moving slowly, like when grocery shopping, etc).
lately my R ear has been getting so bad that im not feeling completely balanced ever, but meh, whatever.
Thanks,
*EQL*

i feel off balanced with only one in...when my audi re-programs my HA's I have only one in at a time and i hate it

Sure you're not just getting seasick? Only kidding. Not that it's much help and I'm sure the aid being broken is putting a damper on your fun but next time ask the audiologist for a loaner to take with you as a backup. In the meantime try not to stress out to much over the aid and have a good time. No sense worrying over something you can't do anything about.

I don't have a problem wearing one hearing aid. I'm deaf in both ears, but wear only one in my left ear.

I used to wear hearing aids in both ears, but found it frustrating and annoying with the hearing aid in my right ear. The way my right ear works is that it's more sensitive to low sounds, but can't really sense high sounds. If you were to slam the door or drop a book on a table, both would sound the same to me. If someone called my name, I wouldn't know if it was someone talking to me or just background noise. That's why I stopped wearing a hearing aid in my right ear... since I was 6 years old.

I have tried doing it again a few times, but the result was the same. Even my hearing test showed the same results.

Frostywolf,
I sympathise with you completely, when my left HA failed to work last year my hearing was so much diminished with just the right one that I struggled to hear anything. I don't feel nauseous with just one, but my hearing is very unbalanced. I even notice this when I'm putting them in each morning.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the problem sorted as soon as you get back, in the mean time try to enjoy your vacation.

wearing only 1 HA bothers me. I do not get vertigo or nausea feeling like yourself, I just feel like I can locate sound and understand better with both in.

Hoh, what you say has a lot of truth to it. That's why you have 2 ears.

frosty - sorry to hear about your misfortune! I wear HA on both ears but no I do not get dizzy or whatsoever if I wear just 1. But it was annoying because I'm used to hearing from 2 ears. Now I'm perfectly fine if it's 1 ear. My left ear is terrible so I don't care if my left HA failed but if my right HA failed... not good since my right ear is my good ear so if that happens... I just take both off.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It wasn't too bad. The cruise is a full-ship charter that I go on every year, and it a music festival. I take my HA's out at shows anyway, because they distort the music. But it was tough trying to chat with my friends between shows and at dinner. I felt a bit more antisocial than normal this year.

I asked my mom to drop my HA off last Monday, so we'll se when I get home later today when I can get it back. At least it's still under warranty (for one more month!) so I don't have to pay anything.

Back