ha accessory question

wyntr

Reaction score
Hi - I have a couple questions...I'm new to HA's (been wearing them since Jan 10), so please have patience...

I have Oticon Vigo BTEs...when I change the power-domes, sometimes it feels like I have a cactus in my ear, esp the right side where I have the large dome. The canal gets very sensitive and by the time I get home from work, I can't wait to take them out. Sometimes the soreness lasts a day, sometimes a week, sometimes there is no soreness. The lack of consistency is frustrating.

My first question is - at what point do you move from domes to molds? It seems like the molds would be much more comfortable for extended (14 hrs/day) wear. Is this true?

My second question is: is there a way to replace the shell for a new color? The dr. just ordered what he thought I needed, not what I wanted. If I have to wear them, then I want to *wear* them, you know?

Thank you for the help!

--Mike

I would discuss all of these things with your Audi. My first set of hearing aids had the domes as well, if they are presenting discomfort maybe they are too big for your ear? I know that the hearing aids I had before (zon 7 by starkey) werent able to fit with molds because the tubing is entirely different. Im not sure about your kind but they look similar to the zon's. Also I would think you would have to order the color you wanted to begin with. I hope that helps, but your Audi would be able to answer those questions better than me.

Good luck!

Im not sure what " domes" are. When I got HA for the cochlear implant I did not recieve actual moulds what they gave me was like " ear plug " type stuff to fit into my ear . " squeeze it and then put it in the ear and it will expand." I had to waite 2 weeks for my moulds to arrive. Upon arrival of my moulds it was alot more comfortable and hearing was a lil better due to a better fit in the ear, The only draw back to the moulds was sweat and itchyness other than that it was alot better. hope this helps somewhat.

thanks CBE (you should change your handle to: deadly brown eyes! :P) & Deaffy...those answers help.

Didn't think about the sweating - although I've read similar comments here on the site... think that it's got to be better than this irritation.

I see my audi on the 23rd so I'll add this to the list - was just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

much respects and thanks!

From the website it appears the BTE comes with both styles of ear hooks: one for the tiny dome or tulip earpieces, and the larger hook for a custom earmold. Again, though, you will need to discuss this with your audiologist to see if your fitting range and your device will work well with a standard earmold. Generally, domes or tulips are designed to allow more ambient sound and are used for milder degrees of hearing loss. As CBE stated, tulips are available in different sized lengths and styles, too. Keep trying; if they're not comfortable, they won't help much sitting on the dresser. Good luck!

thanks!

thanks for the reply doc...my low-freq loss is mild - about 40-60db, but I plunge down to 90+ in the higher freqs. My docs have said that my audiogram looks like one from someone about 30-years older than me.

My doc tuned the ha's to only amp the upper freqs he said I can still hear, but he didn't compensate for the low-band freqs at all - he said this was why I wouldn't be able to use them (I guess they have bluetooth-like ability for cellular phones and whatnot) coupled to electronic devices.

I've got another check-up scheduled - I've been getting tested every 6-months because we've seen progression in the loss - which is a concern - and I need to get the aids adjusted. I saw elsewhere on the forums that someone recc'd getting adjustments every 3 months. (?)

I have Kaiser insurance -- they're, at best, ...terse... with me when I visit which is why I'm relying on the experiences of others, here, as this is all new to me. While the audiologist is covered under my insurance, everything else takes place at their hearing aid center which is out-of-pocket and nearly prohibitively expensive.

I appreciate all of the time, support and feedback - thank you!

i have a progressive loss and i get tested every 3-6 months usually since i lost a lot in a short period of time...it's weird that you are wearing an open fit hearing aid when you have a severe loss in the other friequencies..you can always request an ear mold..what kind of hearing aid centre is this? just wondering...is it an audi or a hearing centre like listen up or whatever?

Hi Alicia - thanks for the reply!

As I said this is all new....so, let me give what little b/g I have to help explain?

When I got my first audiogram, through Kaiser - I reviewed it with their staff dr. who told me that I have auditory and conductive loss and needs ha's - have a nice day. (kaiser doesn't cover ha's.) so they were done with me at that point.

My Uncle, who taught at Rochester, Mayo, etc., as an MD, working on ci's, contacted one of his students in SoCal who agreed to fit me for cost. (Yay!) I scrapped the $$$ for the ha's together through pre-tax medical via a new company I just joined when Jan 1 of this year came around - went to see him in L.A.. He gave me a new audiogram - noted that my loss had progressed and made some predictions about eventual loss I wasn't happy to hear. He fitted me with the Oticons and tuned them to me as I described above - all good.

Six months later, I can barely hear the tonal beeps in my right ear when I adjust volume. I have independent volume controls and now I keep the right a couple clicks higher than the left so they 'balance'. So, I went to my regular doc and requested referral back to Kaiser audi for an updated test since the Kaiser HA center won't see me to tune my ha's that I didn't buy from them (outrage!) without an updated audiogram because on their records, my last test was a year ago. (phew!)

I've never been to the Kaiser HA center so I don't know what to expect - it's a small business in a strip mall and they're a fee-for-service provider so my appt. is scheduled right after payday. :P

Hope this helps explain things...

Yes that is an issue. The zon 7s I had were for a moderate/moderate severe loss and I eventually had to get a new set of aids altogether which cost me a lot more money. in under a year I spent over 8000.00 on hearing aids. If you have a progressive loss I would check into maybe also talking to your Audi about how long you will even be wearing those aids.

I have Kaiser insurance -- they're, at best, ...terse... with me when I visit which is why I'm relying on the experiences of others, here, as this is all new to me. While the audiologist is covered under my insurance, everything else takes place at their hearing aid center which is out-of-pocket and nearly prohibitively expensive.

You are lucky that your insurance covers some things. Mine doesn't at all because they consider hearing aids as "cosmetic" I am wondering what your Audi does? What would be taken care of at the Hearing Aid Center that he cannot take care of? The cost of everything that has to do with my aids is covered by my audi, cleanings, adjustments, things of that nature. Aside from new molds, ect... Also do you trust your Audi to make sure they are doing what is best for you?

I just have a bad feeling that these aids aren't for your loss and if your loss is progressive you shouldn't have open fit hearing aids period ..make sure the hearing centre you go to doesnt try to rip u off and sell u new ha's ..trust in an Audi is everythinggg I mean kickbacks are great but if they aren't looking out for your best interested then maybe you need to find a new one?

excellent advice! I don't know about trust in my audiologist - I'll be seeing the same person that I saw last year, but I will keep an open mind and ask a lot of the questions based on feedback here (thank you!). I'll be skeptical when I go to the hearing-aid center as well; I understand that they are a business.

You all are a huge help!

No problemo! We don't like seeing other ppl getting taken advantage of and unfortunately it happens often ...i would say just research and read as much as possible bout your hearing loss type and bout diff ha's and such so you are informed..most ppl aren't go in without knowing anything and then they get sold the most expensive ha's that they don't need or ones they don't need and then a year later they need new ones. There is lots to read on AD as you've seen so don't be shy read away and ask questions if u have one..no question is ever stupid to ask:)

Update, post-audi...

Last week I had my appt's w/the audi and the HA center.

My loss has progressed significantly in the right ear - two more ranges are >90db loss, and the curve on the previous freqs lost, on average, about 5%.

Left ear fairly stable - some jittering, but nothing to be concerned about. Loss ranges from 40-90db going from low-high freqs.

Speech recognition is still pretty strong which is to my advantage.

HA-center was very helpful - they recommended molds to be before I could really say anything. Since my HAs are still under-warranty, they called and got me a case change to the color I wanted which was very cool of them.

They sent me back to some Dr. at the first place where he talked to me about my dizzyness and loss. He was quite frank with me in stating that they don't know why the loss is progressing - the MRI showed no tumors or growths on the nerve - but that it is progressing and I'll need to be re-tested to monitor rate.

I asked him about the tinnitus - which has gotten really obnoxious in my right ear - I know hear it over pretty much everything - and I'm starting to pick-out the ringing starting-up in the left ear.

The Dr.'s personal (he stressed the personal part) theory was that tinnitus was akin to an amputee's phantom pain. That the brain is compensating for frequencies no longer being received. He added that he'd removed the complete ear (inner, middle and outer) from cancer patients and they reported ringing after when there was nothing to "hear" ringing with.

First I'd heard that theory...was wondering what y'all thought...

--mike

Hi - I have a couple questions...I'm new to HA's (been wearing them since Jan 10), so please have patience...

I have Oticon Vigo BTEs...when I change the power-domes, sometimes it feels like I have a cactus in my ear, esp the right side where I have the large dome. The canal gets very sensitive and by the time I get home from work, I can't wait to take them out. Sometimes the soreness lasts a day, sometimes a week, sometimes there is no soreness. The lack of consistency is frustrating.

My first question is - at what point do you move from domes to molds? It seems like the molds would be much more comfortable for extended (14 hrs/day) wear. Is this true?

My second question is: is there a way to replace the shell for a new color? The dr. just ordered what he thought I needed, not what I wanted. If I have to wear them, then I want to *wear* them, you know?

Thank you for the help!

--Mike

A few years ago i was able to wear open fit BTEs. I had the EXACT same problems you are experiencing. It never went away for me no matter which tip we used. I ended up getting a custom mold put on the end and it was soooooo much more comfortable! Very small so it was a little harder to put in, but once i was used to it it was fine. I recommend getting custom molds. Some audies don't realize that custom molds can be made for open concept HAs... just have them call the company and ask.

As for the shell color, i'm not sure what the return policy is for your area. It might be a bit late since you got them in Jan, but you should ask anyway. If not, there are plenty of decorations and stickers and covers you can get to cover them and make them any color you want! what color were u thinking of?
hope this helps,
*EQL*

As for the shell color, i'm not sure what the return policy is for your area. It might be a bit late since you got them in Jan, but you should ask anyway. If not, there are plenty of decorations and stickers and covers you can get to cover them and make them any color you want! what color were u thinking of?
hope this helps,
*EQL*

IDK about the molds part... Adam has had molds since he was 3 mo old... so that's the extent of that knowledge... but he does have the Vigo Pro/Pro Power and he has Ear Gear covers for his... he's got blue, black and cammo for when we're feeling funky!! LOL it helps keep his aids dry and they say reduces noises like from wind, etc... IDK since I don't wear them-- I got them for him to help keep his batteries from rusting out-- where he gets so sweaty. So it gives me the chance to match his HAs w/his outfits :D :D (he's only 2 so he has no choice in the matter LOL) ight be cheaper than exchanging them???

Hearing Aid Safety Device to Cover, Protect, & Prevent Loss of Children's Hearing Aids!

if you read the OP's other post right before EQL posted it states he got to change the color because it was still under warranty:) lol

The Dr.'s personal (he stressed the personal part) theory was that tinnitus was akin to an amputee's phantom pain. That the brain is compensating for frequencies no longer being received. He added that he'd removed the complete ear (inner, middle and outer) from cancer patients and they reported ringing after when there was nothing to "hear" ringing with.

First I'd heard that theory...was wondering what y'all thought...

Makes sense to me and I think I've heard that theory also. I've also heard it called Brain Static.

Back