H.P.V. Shots for young girls.

Uh, no they can't.

That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't. Is it close enough to the truth that they can get away with it? Yes. Are most people going to know enough to know that they're not telling the truth? No. They can do that with a lot of things.

the girl I used to like told me that she did not bother getting HPV vaccination because it does not cover all and the risk benefit is not good. oh - she's very well-informed about this but I'm not so I will kindly leave the room. :cool2:

That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't. Is it close enough to the truth that they can get away with it? Yes. Are most people going to know enough to know that they're not telling the truth? No. They can do that with a lot of things.

Come on, lsfoster...either it is a live virus or it is not a live virus. Can't be both. All virus in vaccines are inactive. They don't become active until they are in the human host and causing antibodies to form.

This is a prescription medication. There are enforced guidelines as to what public claims they can make.

Come on, lsfoster...either it is a live virus or it is not a live virus. Can't be both. All virus in vaccines are inactive. They don't become active until they are in the human host and causing antibodies to form.

This is a prescription medication. There are enforced guidelines as to what public claims they can make.

Again, it would be nice if you would skip the sarcastic comments. Oh, and you could also try reading any of the links I provide. I even stated the important part in my post. It isn't both because it isn't either.

Again, it would be nice if you would skip the sarcastic comments. Oh, and you could also try reading any of the links I provide. I even stated the important part in my post. It isn't both because it isn't either.

It's not sarcasm. It is simple logic. And I have read your links. You are attempting to say that the virus can be live and not live at the same time when you say "it is just true enough". Likewise with your portrayal of "active virus."

It's not sarcasm. It is simple logic. And I have read your links. You are attempting to say that the virus can be live and not live at the same time when you say "it is just true enough". Likewise with your portrayal of "active virus."

"It isn't both because it isn't either. " You don't seem to have read my post or the link very well. Where did I say anything about an active virus? I don't think you understood what I said at all.

"It isn't both because it isn't either. " You don't seem to have read my post or the link very well. Where did I say anything about an active virus? I don't think you understood what I said at all.

The answer to your question is here:

That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't. Is it close enough to the truth that they can get away with it?

Copied and pasted directly from your above post at 12:05 today.

The answer to your question is here:

That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't. Is it close enough to the truth that they can get away with it?

Copied and pasted directly from your above post at 12:05 today.

Funny, because I keep reading it, and I keep seeing "inactive" and not "active". But you have clearly managed to still miss the point and not understand anything I'm saying.

Funny, because I keep reading it, and I keep seeing "inactive" and not "active". But you have clearly managed to still miss the point and not understand anything I'm saying.

Let's see...

"They keep saying that it is inactive. It's not."

In the first sentence you state what the claims are: inactive. In the second sentence, you refute that claim by say "It's not." So you are saying that the virus is not inactive. A virus that is not inactive, is active.
So, yes, you have said that the virus is active.

But let's go back to the claim that "they can say anything they want". That is decidedly untrue, and to attempt to convince people that it is so is unethical.

Let's see...

"They keep saying that it is inactive. It's not."

In the first sentence you state what the claims are: inactive. In the second sentence, you refute that claim by say "It's not." So you are saying that the virus is not inactive. A virus that is not inactive, is active.
So, yes, you have said that the virus is active.

That must be your incredibly superior "fluid thinking" at work. I'll post it for the third time. "It isn't both because it isn't either. " Just because you don't know what a VLP is doesn't mean you are entitled to keep telling me I'm wrong.

Also, this "They keep saying that it is inactive. It's not." isn't what I said. This is: "That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't." I said that because it isn't, it's a VLP. Try reading a little more carefully instead of automatically trying to show how much more you know, and how wrong everyone else is.

That must be your incredibly superior "fluid thinking" at work. I'll post it for the third time. "It isn't both because it isn't either. " Just because you don't know what a VLP is doesn't mean you are entitled to keep telling me I'm wrong.

Also, this "They keep saying that it is inactive. It's not." isn't what I said. This is: "That flier says that it's an inactive form of the virus. It isn't." I said that because it isn't, it's a VLP. Try reading a little more carefully instead of automatically trying to show how much more you know, and how wrong everyone else is.

Okay, I'll bite. It isn't active, and it isn't inactive. Exactly then, what it is? Semi-active?

Okay, I'll bite. It isn't active, and it isn't inactive. Exactly then, what it is? Semi-active?

You could also read my posts, and save us a lot of time. It's a VLP. It isn't an active, or inactive form of the virus, it isn't a form of the virus.

You could also read my posts, and save us a lot of time. It's a VLP. It isn't an active, or inactive form of the virus, it isn't a form of the virus.

whoa.... :dizzy:

2. QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE COMPOSITION

1 dose (0.5 ml) contains approximately:
Human Papillomavirus1 Type 6 L1 protein2,3
20 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 11 L1 protein2,3
40 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 16 L1 protein2,3
40 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 18 L1 protein2,3
20 micrograms

1Human Papillomavirus = HPV.

From your link.

2. QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE COMPOSITION

1 dose (0.5 ml) contains approximately:
Human Papillomavirus1 Type 6 L1 protein2,3
20 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 11 L1 protein2,3
40 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 16 L1 protein2,3
40 micrograms

Human Papillomavirus1 Type 18 L1 protein2,3
20 micrograms

1Human Papillomavirus = HPV.

From your link.

"Gardasil is an adjuvanted non-infectious recombinant quadrivalent vaccine prepared from the highly purified virus-like particles (VLPs) of the major capsid L1 protein of HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18. " Also from my link. But please, don't read the whole thing before trying to prove me wrong again.

"Gardasil is an adjuvanted non-infectious recombinant quadrivalent vaccine prepared from the highly purified virus-like particles (VLPs) of the major capsid L1 protein of HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18. " Also from my link. But please, don't read the whole thing before trying to prove me wrong again.

And where do the proteins come from? The HPV virus.

One must produce antibodies to a specific virus in order for a vaccine to be effective. If that were not so, we could all just take a vaccine for the mumps virus, and protect us from everything. Antibodies are specific to specific virus. It is the anibodies that prevent infection. The antibodies form as a result of the virus, or proteins extracted from the virus, being injected in doses large enough to stimulate antibody production, but not large enough to created infection.

And where do the proteins come from? The HPV virus.

One must produce antibodies to a specific virus in order for a vaccine to be effective. If that were not so, we could all just take a vaccine for the mumps virus, and protect us from everything. Antibodies are specific to specific virus. It is the anibodies that prevent infection. The antibodies form as a result of the virus, or proteins extracted from the virus, being injected in doses large enough to stimulate antibody production, but not large enough to created infection.

I'm not sure what your point is. I know how vaccines work. Just because you don't seem to understand how this one works, does not mean that I have any need for your attempt to make it sound like you know more still. It isn't the virus. They make VLPs (virus-like particles), and in this case, they make them from the capsid protein, not even the virus itself. That would be like saying "Lactose comes from milk, therefore, it is milk". It's not the same at all. In this case, they have taken a protein derived from the capsid that tends to self-assemble into similar structures as the virus itself does. It still isn't the HPV virus.

I'm not sure what your point is. I know how vaccines work. Just because you don't seem to understand how this one works, does not mean that I have any need for your attempt to make it sound like you know more still. It isn't the virus. They make VLPs (virus-like particles), and in this case, they make them from the capsid protein, not even the virus itself. That would be like saying "Lactose comes from milk, therefore, it is milk". It's not the same at all. In this case, they have taken a protein derived from the capsid that tends to self-assemble into similar structures as the virus itself does. It still isn't the HPV virus.

This vaccine works in the same way that all vaccines work, lsfoster. Yes, it reassembles into structures that the body attacks and creates antibodies to...specifically 4 strains of Human Papiloma Virus. The antibodies don't defend against the protein. They defend against infection of the specific strains of the virus.

And, a virus-like particle contains those features of the original virus that causes the body to form antibodies specific to that virus. Otherwise, the vaccine would be completely ineffective.

This vaccine works in the same way that all vaccines work, lsfoster. Yes, it reassembles into structures that the body attacks and creates antibodies to...specifically 4 strains of Human Papiloma Virus. The antibodies don't defend against the protein. They defend against infection of the specific strains of the virus.

And, a virus-like particle contains those features of the original virus that causes the body to form antibodies specific to that virus. Otherwise, the vaccine would be completely ineffective.

It works in the same way that other Subunit Vaccines work, yes. But it is not true to say that it contains an "inactive form" of the virus. It doesn't. There are many different types of vaccines. Some contain viruses which have been rendered inactive by heat or chemical means, some have simply had the viral DNA components removed, others are simply made less toxic, others are made like this.

My point is exactly this. Most people will not know enough to know that they are not being truthful on their filers.

It works in the same way that other Subunit Vaccines work, yes. But it is not true to say that it contains an "inactive form" of the virus. It doesn't. There are many different types of vaccines. Some contain viruses which have been rendered inactive by heat or chemical means, some have simply had the viral DNA components removed, others are simply made less toxic, others are made like this.

My point is exactly this. Most people will not know enough to know that they are not being truthful on their filers.

They are being truthful, lsfoster. The protein does not become active until it enters the host. It then replicates and alters to form the foreign substance that causes the body's immune system to activate and create antibodies.

Back