Guide to wearing hearing aids with confidence?

Hannah louise

Reaction score
Hi, i'm at 15 yr old girl, i wear hearing aids and I'd never tie up my hair to reveal my hearing aids- nope, not on my life! I'm paranoid about others think (even though i know it's wrong) especially lads- I mean there not sexy at all, are they?! How to wear them with confidence, inspiring words about them please? Anything good about them?

You'd be surprised to find out people generally don't notice them.
Personally, I want people to notice them, so they know that I have difficulty hearing and as a reminder to them to face me, speak clearly, etc.

Hey, look, it is ok to be different. Think of this....

I'm sure that there is a Volvo club out there somewhere.

What if everyone in club drove a Volvo 740/760/940/960 models without turbo engine. One person has one of those Volvo 740/760/940/960 with turbo engine. Do you think that person may feel left out because no one else has turbo in theirs? They have the exact same car as you do. Only that you have a turbo. They do not.

Does that mean a person should buy a Volvo 740/760/940/960 with turbo engine, then just remove the "turbo" lettering? Then no one will know the car has a turbo engine. Then the person will fit in just like everyone else do?

So do a person take off hearing aids so that they can fit in with others without hearing aids??

Look, this one has a turbo engine.

1992 Volvo 940 Turbo!! GREAT CAR

This one does NOT have a turbo engine.

1995 Volvo 940

DO you see and real difference between those 2 cars???

They are are great fashion accessory! Decorate them, get bright earmolds, and be a trend setter.

If you have confidence, all your friends will wish they had them also.

Maybe not a fashion accessory but if you gotta wear them.. wear them and enjoy. Make them pretty. I'm not lucky enough to wear the little ones that disappear into the backgrounds of your ears, so I made them pretty. Glasses aren't embarrassing (not the same thing.. but something that used to carry the same sort of stigma). Have fun with it :)

Sweetie, don't be ashamed. You wear hearing aids. So what? No biggie. Lots of people wear hearing aids - including teens. You know, they make all kinds of colorful hearing aids, earmolds, hearing aid covers, and hearing aid stickers and jewlery now. Decorate your hearing aids and make them look awesome, to reflect your style. It is easier to wear and show off something that you like than something that you don't like. :cool2:

I know that it's hard for you to feel comfortable with showing off your hearing aids to the world. And you are probably afraid and/or paranoid about what other people think. But who cares what other people think? It's none of their business. Many people are actually nicer about hearing aids than you might think. But, there are also a lot of jerks out there. Remember that anyone who is a jerk about your hearing aids isn't someone who is worth being around. :wave:

I know a guy who wears hearing aids, and who has had some of his pinky finger amputated on his left hand, right below his finger nail. (From a work-related accident.) Guess what people notice first about him? His amputated finger. Not his hearing aids. In fact, most people don't even notice his aids - and they are blue and not hidden at all.

Don't be afraid to tie your hair up and show off your hearing aids. There's nothing to be ashamed about. Wear them with confidence. Hearing aids help you to hear better. Nothing to be ashamed about. If people don't like 'em, then tough. They just gotta get used to it. Don't let 'em get to you. I know that it's easier said than done, but it's the truth.

(BTW, I am 16 years old. If you want to talk, you can PM me.)

all my life, I didn't care if people saw my hearing aids or not. When I got my purple hearing aids in 3rd grade, I was SO proud of them I showed them off every chance I had! And add to the purple aids, bright orange or green ear molds. How's that for colorful? Haha. Now, I have a red hearing aid. The earmold is neutral color since I seem to have an allergy to the colored molds. But I still like showing off. I jazz up my implant processor and show that off too. The headpiece sits on top of my hair, and it's red, very noticeable. But no one's pointed them out or anything.

And nowadays, some bluetooth devices do look like hearing aids, so if anyone saw your hearing aid they could just think it's a bluetooth device.

Hannah, I do understand what you're going through. As a kid I HATED my hearing aids with a passion. I hid them, and even got those old lady ITE aids. Then I learned to accept my beign HOH, and right now I am VERY proud of being HOH. It's just a part of me the way my blue eyes are or my laugh is.
Maybe try to get involved with Deaf culture and discover the positive parts of being HOH........that will do wonders with your self esteem and being self confident. Look into the Deaf Schools in Ireland...do they have summer sessions?

and yanno, now I have purple hearing aids, and I love them. People do not notice them at ALL. Hell, I have short hair and NOBODY notices them! Hearing aids are wicked cool, and if anyone doesn't think so you can just literally turn them off!

Hi, i'm at 15 yr old girl, i wear hearing aids and I'd never tie up my hair to reveal my hearing aids- nope, not on my life! I'm paranoid about others think (even though i know it's wrong) especially lads- I mean there not sexy at all, are they?! How to wear them with confidence, inspiring words about them please? Anything good about them?

Hi Hanna
I totally agree with all of the above, also, look at it this way. 1 in 7 people has a hearing loss - so you’re 1 in 7!
Quick story - My nephew Oliver fell of a trampoline and twisted his ankle a month or so ago. Anyway, the hospital gave him a couple of crutches to help him walk...and off to school he went. The following week, the now crutch less Oliver asked his mom if he could take his crutches to school with him. When his mom asked him why, when he no longer needed them, Oliver answered, well, the guys at school paid him to have a go on his crutches! The upshot of the story is, everyone wants to be special, so be special and be proud.

They are are great fashion accessory! Decorate them, get bright earmolds, and be a trend setter.

If you have confidence, all your friends will wish they had them also.

Suddenly I had visions of "Beadazzled" aids. :P

A few months back my Mom had to get larger aids that are no longer invisible. To make matters worse, she had to add a lanyard to them that clips onto the back of her collar. (She is weak from chemotherapy which further destroyed her hearing. Once she is strong enough to pick up a small item from the floor without falling she will have the lanyard removed.)

So, in short, she can no longer hide them as she has in the past. What is interesting is how few people even NOTICE. She was sure that people would comment or start shouting at her slowly as if she was mentally deficient as well but this did not happen at all.

We are in the age of technology. Everyone is connected to some sort of electronic device. She told me that she often has to tell people she has hearing aids (like doctors standing right in front of her- seriously) because people are so accustomed to seeing ear buds, bluetooth in-ear speakerphones and headsets that they simply overlook it.

I realize that to you they are huge and a blight, but truly they are not to others. If you are confident and casual about them then others who might notice will follow your cue.

What ever you do, please do not let the fear that you will be thought of differently or ridiculed keep you from interacting with others. Do not hide in the shadows or try to be invisible because of what others might think. You are NOT defined by what is in your ears, but by how you interact with others.

Please enjoy your life: laugh, get involved, reach for your dreams. You deserve it!

Back