GRRRR.... calling through relay makes me frustrated!!! :mad:

you_rock

Reaction score
Relay itself is amazing. I love how all those hardworking people help us get calls through the internet.

What's really peeving me right now is that every time I try to make a call to another business or organization, I get a very nice, warm message that amounts to:

"I am sorry, we do not accept phone calls of this type *HANG UP*"

So I call. And re call. And I tell relay, "State this is a deaf person with a legitimate call and if you will not accept my call, tell me how I can communicate with your organization."

They hang up again.

Eventually I do get around. Sometimes this is an advantage (think about an apologetic manager who hears about your trouble and wants to give you extra good customer service to make sure you're not upset).

But it really is a cumbersome annoyance. If I have to call few places it sometimes takes me two hours.

GRRRRR!

What can I do? Suggestions?

Start using email or go in person.

That's what I do sometimes. But businesses don't always list their emails, or they do, but they don't follow up.

Research also shows that calling tends to have a better response rate than emailing for getting things done. And I usually get better results when I do get through over the phone.

The suggestions above are nice but they don't even the playing field for deaf folks, do the?

The suggestions above are nice but they don't even the playing field for deaf folks, do the?

Well, yes. They enable us to get banking and important errands done efficeintly.

For me going in person I believe gives me an advantage.

Well, yes. They enable us to get banking and important errands done efficeintly.

For me going in person I believe gives me an advantage.

Usually it does. And it's a very smart move. But what if you are trying to call Investor Relations and ask for a transfer to the Vice President of Marketing?

Usually it does. And it's a very smart move. But what if you are trying to call Investor Relations and ask for a transfer to the Vice President of Marketing?

If you are so rich, get your lawyer to do it.

It is sad to see that people do that just because it is an inconvenience to them. :roll:

Went thru this many times.....My VP is down, so I'm using my TDD for awhile. And if someone hangs up on me...I just asked the relay opr. to redial, and not to announce the relay call....just ask for the specific person, and my name as the respondent......Most times I get thru....and I do explain my situation, and ask why they are so reluctant to accept calls via the relay....

This has been going on so long, nothing new....

Seriously? I ask for same sex relay op. Then, on "special instructions" I type "do not announce relay". So the silly business can polish my shiny badonkadonk and bite it.
If it is so important that you cant trust your call assistant to do this, then as suggested by a most wise woman "get your lawyer to do it".
I love relay. I hate rude secretaries. Advocacy loves these secretaries of the non ada compliant business. Mmmm, nom - nom - nom. Deeelicious. Bread and butter. Second, trust your best friend or room mate...... (nah)

More like telemarketers and call centres ruined everything.

Oh, yes, they did. I remember, 6 years ago, they called and woke me up in the middle of night many times. I was :mad2: I answered, sweared and told them not to bother calling me at this hour or else and then, I hung up on them... *slam real hard* . I called the telephone co., to have my phone number removed. I slept good after my phone number removed the very next day. I don't need a phone, anyway since I have two pagers and a laptop.

Back