Grew up with Hearing Aids: Are they still right for me?

I really do appreciate your thoughts, unfortunately it seems I've already tried your ideas. The audiologist would scold me if I didn't keep the hearing aids clean and use the Dry & Store. :lol: When I had analog HAs growing up, I used to put the volume ALL the way up. I put up with the discomfort because I craved communication, which I couldn't quite get (early HAs didn't have many bands to adjust to my hearing loss). Then with the digital, they were able to better map the HAs to my audiogram, but the noise got worse and I was turning the volume ALL the way down. Even trying the different programs available with my digital HAs (which were definitely cool at first) just gave me the option of either comfort OR communication. For almost two years and many visits (luckily visits were free after purchasing hearing aids) we tried and we couldn't seem to find something where I could have both. There didn't seem to be a Venn Diagram equivalent where both some comfort and some communication intercepted. If not for ASL, I would put up with the discomfort even longer because I do value communication.

For a couple weeks now, I have been trying to live without my HAs. I've only put them in for a few minutes at a time at work when someone needed a quick answer to a couple questions where face to face communication was best option. I've used paper and pencil for communication with other people outside work. I've used ASL with my sister and other people I've met who know ASL. WOW! :shock: What a difference! I feel more like a normal person and less like a broken hearie. :cool2: No Offense To Anyone Else Is Intended-I Don't Feel That Other People Who Would Choose Differently Are Broken (its just how my situation made me feel).

If that is what works best for you, then wonderful!!! I am so happy that you are feeling like you are getting what you need from a "full toolbox" not dealing with the discomfort from the HA's is a wonderful thing, I am sure you will find, if you are anything like me that when they are off you get less headaches, less ear infections, and overall are less stressed. If you want to talk to anyone about the situation that understands what you are going through, or some of it anyways... I am always here!

also, I found when I started signing, and stopped talking, I understood so much more of what was going on, and I felt whole again, much like you. Have you tried to get into the Deaf community there? It is a wonderful "homecoming" experience for many of us who were raised to try and be hearies.

:ty: I've found ASL groups, but only a couple deaf people. I've been to a few ASL meetups over the last few weeks and I could count on one hand the number of deaf. The rest were hearing wanting to be interpreters and hearing learning sign for some other reason. I hope to find them soon.

:ty: I've found ASL groups, but only a couple deaf people. I've been to a few ASL meetups over the last few weeks and I could count on one hand the number of deaf. The rest were hearing wanting to be interpreters and hearing learning sign for some other reason. I hope to find them soon.

once you get involved in the community, and people find out that you are deaf (or if you would classify yourself HoH) and they find you are a likable person you will be invited more into the Deaf Community those events that aren't publicized the the general hearing population.

I have had several different HAs in the 23+ years I have worn HAs to include ones of different materials. It seems that my ears just hate having things in them. Thanks for giving me this concept realted information...

Back