Greetings

foxishly

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm just here to get in touch with the Deaf community. I'm not deaf, but my spouse has some issues hearing and may eventually go deaf completely. Not a big deal to us, just something we're aware of. As for me I'm autistic and have always found sign easier to understand and process then spoken language. I've always known a little sign language, but now I wish to become fluent in ASL. It's just so much easier on my brain, even though I'm still slow as can be at this point. Eventually I'd like to find and video cam with someone who is fluent for practice. Right now I'm just too slow. I think it would be frustrating for anyone to try and talk to me in sign. (My spouse says I stutter. :D ) We're learning together, so I'm not alone in my endeavor. I just feel that it would go better if contact is made with individuals who actually are fluent in ASL.

Anyway, hope to make friends.

My current girlfriend is hearing and is starting an ASL class this Thursday to be able to communicate with me better.

I did have a girlfriend who was autistic, but not any more.

I wish you the best luck here.

Hey welcome to alldeaf :)

It's really cool you guys are learning ASL together. Even if your partner doesn't end up becoming fully deaf, you never know when it could come in handy :D!

Did you learn a little ASL/or contact signing in school, or how did you learn what you already know?

I learned what ASL I know because, growing up in California, I had a friend who was deaf. I learned so that she and I could talk while playing.

Back