Greetings to every registered member of AD!

Rickcares

Reaction score
Sorry for not introducing myself right away. I have been here for 2 weeks. I would like to think and do believe that all of us should be like a family. :) If there is a disagreement, we should respect and try to understand and accept them or get along as best as possible. It does not mean we have to agree with certain things. But if certain things are tested and proven, then what can we do, but accept? I do hope all of us are able to make up and be friends after a quarrel. The brighter side in me is that I love to help other people. I love to meet new people and make new friends and keep old friends. I believe life is very beautiful. Of course, life is what you make it to be. Hello, everyone! Thank you for sharing and caring!!!!! :ty:

Rickcares said:
Sorry for not introducing myself right away. I have been here for 2 weeks. I would like to think and do believe that all of us should be like a family. :) If there is a disagreement, we should respect and try to understand and accept them or get along as best as possible. It does not mean we have to agree with certain things. But if certain things are tested and proven, then what can we do, but accept? I do hope all of us are able to make up and be friends after a quarrel. The brighter side in me is that I love to help other people. I love to meet new people and make new friends and keep old friends. I believe life is very beautiful. Of course, life is what you make it to be. Hello, everyone! Thank you for sharing and caring!!!!! :ty:

AMEN!

But care to share a few more details about yourself?

Hello, Rick, and welcome to AD!

I am in agreement with Meg - do tell us about yourself. ;)

:wave: :welcome: Hello and Welcome to Alldeaf, Rickcares!!!! What a nice introduction!! You will like it here with us, everyone is very friendly and wonderful. I agree with the others that we like to hear more about you!!

I hope you enjoy your stay here at AD with us!!! It's great to have you!!! Have a good one!! :angel:

Delighted!

Oh, wow! Thank you for welcoming me! That is a very wonderful and warm welcome from all of you! It is difficult to talk about myself. I rather learn about all of you. Heehee! I live in Idaho. My parents who adopted me (not living) believed I became hard-of-hearing from excess use of a drug called penicillin when I became ill with pneumonia at age 9 months. I lived on a farm in my early life. About the age of 12, I saved my dad's life and several months later saved my mom's life. Farm life was wonderful, but ended when I graduated from Gallaudet, found a job and got married. A few years after I married, I saved a young boy from drowning in a city swimming pool. The life guard was sitting on her high chair twirling her whistle attached to a necklace. She did not know this happened, but she learned to be more careful. Smile! I'm active in summer sports and love to compete in track & field. I placed in the top 3 finishers in the high jump in my age group from 1990-1999 at the State Senior Games and National Senior Games and won the high jump at the World Senior Games. I also pole vault and placed 7th at National Senior Games held at Disney World near Orlando, Florida in 1999 and 7th again at Norfolk, Virginia in 2003. I had the wrong pole both times so now hopefully next time I use the right pole. I think this is enough about me. (I don't want to tell you my age. heehee) Thanks again for welcoming me!

Welcome to AD

Rick,

Welcome to AD and enjoy yourself. The fact that you lived on a farm for several years and have participated in the Senior Games tells me that you are another of the 40+ group. There are a few of us here even though the Internet wasn't around during our school years. Learning about new things and meeting new people keeps life interesting.

You mentioned about saving your parents lives. What happened?

:) Good morning, Rickcares!!! Are you sure you aren't called Archangel Richard? You have saved so many lives in your lifetime. Your screen name suits you, you do care.

Well, I hail from Cranston, Rhode Island. I am a CODA my parent's both are deaf. My Mom passed away 3 1/2 years ago, my dad is still alive and very active with the deaf community, as I am. He is 88 years old.

I married a deaf man, we have been married for 27 years, we have 2 daughters ages 25 and 20. We also have a foster son, who is deaf, he is 8 years old, planning on adopting him. He attends the R.I. School for the Deaf.

I did work at the school for the deaf up until a year ago when I had to leave because there are no day care providers who can sign, and my hours were 8 to 4, with no one to take care of him, I decided he was more important than my job. He suffers from ADHD and PTSD. I wanted him to have a more structured and secured life knowing that we love him and want him to stay with us.

It sounds like life has been really good for you with the exception of your parent's passing, which at certain times is hard to get over. I hope your life has been very fulfilling thereafter.

Good luck with pole vaulting in the next competition and keep up the good work, your family must be so proud of you.

Hope to be talking to you again soon, until then, have a wonderful day and take care! God bless to you and your family!!! :)

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

I enjoying myself to read your posts here.

Thank you ITPjohn, CODAchild and Liebling for your interest and responses. Sorry I have been away due to a surprise visit by a deaf couple from Canada! We have been chatting and going places, ate at restaurants and sightseeing and been coming home late at nights. I will try to respond more quickly. Thanks for your patience.
Yes, ITPjohn, I'm in the 55-59 age group and will move up to the 60-64 age group by the end of this year.
What happened when I saved my parents lives on two separate occasions? First about my dad... one summer morning my dad came in the house and said he needed my help to get back a heifer which is a young cow that has not yet had a calf. It escaped from the corral the night before and been eating in the neighbor's field. We lived in a rural (farm) area. It was not the first time we chased down our cattle and I thought it was another typical day of more running, chasing and sweating events. The neighbor was nice about it and had called to notify my family about "that-darn-heifer" and later learned it was no Disney story and I had a pretty scary experience with that animal. I don't think anybody at that time ever saw how mean and dangerous a heifer can be, but here it is... I grabbed a thick, sturdy stick about 5 feet long and called it my staff (as in Moses' staff) and went with dad. We walked by foot across the road from our farm home, walked in the neighbor's field toward the heifer. It saw us coming and started running away to the other end of the field until it came to another fence and turned to run along the fence line. We made sure it would not run past us and the neighbor's son, Mike, who was about 16 years old opened the gate of their corral and the heifer ran inside. Mike closed the gate. Mike sat on the corral fence while I stood inside the corral nearby him and watched my dad take a rope and made several attempts to lasso the animal, but it was running very fast from the north end of the corral to the south end and back to the north on and on. It finally stopped to get second wind, then ran again as dad approached it. He finally threw a perfect loop around the neck of the animal as it zoomed past. Dad had plenty of rope to give so he let the heifer run a little ways to the south end of the corral then back toward the north of the corral. The heifer, not liking the rope around its neck, became very angry and charged at dad striking him in the left knee as it ran toward the south end. Dad was down and in so much pain and he tried to get back up. He was still holding on the rope. The heifer turned around and boy!... I never seen anything like the way that animal ran. You know those white horses in Germany and other places that were trained to give shows and the way they proudly danced? Well, this heifer lifted its right hoof high, then left, right, left as if it was chopping the ground, but it was fast paced and made a straight line for dad. I had wondered over the years if the heifer thought it was an experienced bull or something of that nature, but at that critical moment, I knew it meant really big trouble because dad still could not get up so immediately without thinking of my own safety, I ran as fast as I possibly could and I estimated I had to get myself to a spot close to dad and that point had to be between dad's feet and the heifer. I gave all the speed I had. By the time I reached the point of meeting the heifer, I quickly thrust my staff into the heifer's neck and let out a yell, "HYAAAHHHH!" The heifer changed its direction off to the side away from me and ran past dad. When the heifer reached the north end of the corral, I immediately stood between dad and that crazy animal. I was so shaken and asked dad to get up because the heifer was eyeing dad again and it sure looked ready to make another charge. I wanted to help dad get up, but I dared not turn my head the other way. Dad finally got up. Mike who was still sitting on the west side of the corral fence was obviously scared at what he witnessed. Dad asked him if we could borrow their tractor. Mike said, "Sure!" About 10-15 minutes later, Mike drove the tractor in the corral. Dad tied the rope on the back of the tractor and we pulled the stubborn animal to the road with dad limping. The heifer was so stubborn and angry it did not like to be pulled. It resisted with such sheer determination that it soon passed out and fell when the rope was so tight around its neck. Dad asked Mike to back the tractor up and he loosed the rope from the back of the tractor and tied it to the front, then loosed the rope around the heifer and stood away. We waited until the heifer regained consciousness and stood up. Dad thought he was at a safe distance from the heifer and again that mad animal struck dad in the stomach, knocking him down on the side of the road. Luckily, dad's head landed hard on gravel. Gravel hurts, yes, but not like hard paved road. I was SO angry I could not describe how angry I was at that heifer. I wanted to borrow dad's hunting rifle and shoot it dead so we would not have to buy hunting license, deer tag and make a trip up the mountains... it would all be done at home and that's it! We would have our dinner made! Dad got up a little faster this time and I was like "spitting fire from my teeth" at that heifer. But dad kept his cool and it took half a day to finally get the heifer back to where it belonged. It was about 1/4 mile struggle from the neighbor's home to ours. I really don't remember exactly how old I was, but between 12 and 14 years old.

Saving my mom was not as dramatic, but she lost her balance and fell on hard floor in our home and broke her right shoulder. I rushed to make her as comfortable as possible then ran outside to call dad and told him that mom is hurt and that she fell. Dad ran from the back yard toward the house and went in. He called the doctor and took mom to the hospital. The next two days later, mom praised me for comforting her. She asked me, "What made you think of getting my pillow to put it under my head?" If you had not done that, I believe I would have died of shock". I learned something from her statement that people can die of shock. I never knew that before and being as young as I was, I still do ask myself the same question, "What made me think of getting that pillow?" Mom said it made all the difference in the world and told me how thankful and proud she was. I was like, "Awww, gee! Heehee!"

Thank you for asking ITPjohn. I hope that answers your question.

Thank you for sharing your story CODAchild and I commend you for taking good care of your children as your very own. Do you happen to know Art Linkletter? He ran a TV series with children years ago, about the 1950's. He said that he was adopted and that it is truly a blessing that parents adopt children and take good care of them. Thank you for your well wishes and may God bless you and your family also.

Thanks again Liebling for the acknowledgement and I truly appreciate it. I like your quote, "Love & Respect." Love, harmony, peace, respect and good will toward all is a very wonderful feeling.

Take care, everyone... and God bless!

:wave: :angel: :angel: Good morning, Rickcares!! As I said in my last posting, and now will say with confirmation, you definitely are the Archangel Richard. Your parent's had to be so proud of you for thinking quickly, working with that heifer the way you did to get the heifer back into the corral. Both your parent's have to be ever so grateful for what you have done for them.

They are looking down on you now knowing that they did a wonderful job raising you, and now with everything they taught you in your lifetime, you are now passing onto your family.

Yes I do remember Art Linkeletter, my mom and I used to watch him every afternoon.

Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story. God bless you every single day of your life. You deserve it. Your family is very lucky to have you in their life. Take care and keep in touch!!!!!

Aww! Many thanks again, everyone!

Thank you very much CODAchild and just as much thanks and gratitude to: Meg, Arkiegal, Malfoyish, Fly Free, ITPjohn, Liebling, PurrMeow, TweetyBird and everyone for the warm welcome. May God bless each and every one of you much happiness!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Rickcares! It's good to see that you've found this wonderful Forum and hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD!! ;)

Its very inspiring story on how you had fast thinking to save your parents. That was wonderful thing that you have achived in your lifetime. I am sure right now your parents are watching over you from heaven.

9.gif

Wow! Thank you, Roadrunner, racheleggert, Nancy and Tamara! My thanks go to everyone! This wonderful welcome has truly touched my heart and left me in tears. :tears:

Back