Greetings from the Indiana Dunes

PatsCats

Reaction score
:wave: My name is Patricia and I am hearing.

I was introduced to ASL in my teens (about mid 1970s) when my cousin had to learn it on her job. She taught me a few basic words; boy, girl, sorry, help, please, thank you, etc.

Because of that introduction, when I worked at a bar in the mid 1980s and had deaf customers, I was the waiterss/bartender who enjoyed communicating with them. About that same time I took an intro class at an organization that serves the local deaf community.

Ten years ago I lived in an apartment and had deaf neighbors I enjoyed communicating with, albeit mostly with fingerspelling. Once the woman was holding her Poodle, and I signed that her dog was pretty (no fingerspelling for this one). She took the dog's paw and signed "thank you!" :giggle:

About four years ago I worked with adults who had little to no communication skills due to various injuries to or diseases of the brain. We began informally teaching them sign language to help them express themselves.

Since ASL keeps showing up in my life, I have decided to pursue it, and immerse myself in it as much as possible. Now, at the age of 47, I will take my first formal ASL class at Purdue University beginning in January. I have already participated in one Silent Coffee House, and look forward to the next!

I also look forward to meeting people in this forum, and receiving input from the Deaf Community. I am particularly interested in the "do's and don't's" thread.

:ty:

Thanks everyone. What a nice warm welcome. :aw:

Which teacher will you have classes with?

His name is Jeremy. I haven't met him yet. My class will be at the Valpo extension. It is the only class I am taking at this time. I intend to go through the entire ASL program only, no other classes.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone. What a nice warm welcome. :aw:

His name is Jeremy. I haven't met him yet. My class will be at the Valpo extension. It is the only class I am taking at this time. I intend to go through the entire ASL program only, no other classes.

Thanks again everyone!

Oh, I see. I am only familiar with the teachers at the main campus in West Lafayette. But I'd be willing to bet the teacher you get up at the Valparaiso extension is of high quality.

Good luck!

:welcome: from another fellow Hoosier :) Good luck in your ASL studies!!

Back