greetings from the hearing mum of a hh kid

jbeer

Reaction score
hi there, i'm new to all deaf although i've lurked on and off for a while... i'm hearing, but my son is hard of hearing (sloping, moderately-severe to profound), was identified as a baby, and has had bilateral aids since he was 4 months old. he's now 5 years old and in junior kindergarten - integration support in the morning, and mainstream in the afternoon.

he is very oral, but we've also been working on asl - had a deaf consultant come to our house every second week for about 4 years, and he went to preschool at the bob rumball centre for the deaf. in involved in hands & voices, and last fall i quit my job in tv to work at the canadian hearing society.

he is struggling a bit with his "identity" as a hard of hearing kid, but i'm happy to say we've just found an after-school babysitter who is a teenage guy who is also hh/bilateral aids/uses asl, so i am hoping he can be a bit of an inspiration/confidante for my son!

hi there, i'm new to all deaf although i've lurked on and off for a while... i'm hearing, but my son is hard of hearing (sloping, moderately-severe to profound), was identified as a baby, and has had bilateral aids since he was 4 months old. he's now 5 years old and in junior kindergarten - integration support in the morning, and mainstream in the afternoon.

he is very oral, but we've also been working on asl - had a deaf consultant come to our house every second week for about 4 years, and he went to preschool at the bob rumball centre for the deaf. in involved in hands & voices, and last fall i quit my job in tv to work at the canadian hearing society.

he is struggling a bit with his "identity" as a hard of hearing kid, but i'm happy to say we've just found an after-school babysitter who is a teenage guy who is also hh/bilateral aids/uses asl, so i am hoping he can be a bit of an inspiration/confidante for my son!
Sounds you have have taken control.. Excellent..
And very good to have a sitter that your son can identify with. ASL should not be a problem now.. Hope they bond...

welcome to AD and I'm in the same rate your kid's in except I'm borderline to severe (moderate/severe sloping to severe)
and yes, I do have it in both ears :D

On the other hand, at least you're giving him a full toolbox.....and the "idenity' is something that is going to develop over time.......
and you do know that the voice off Deaf person is a minority even in the Deaf community? i think once he grasps the idea that he's both hearing and deaf, he'll have a better grasp on his identity.....Identy tends to be very fluid when you're a kid and even when you're a teen.....and trust me, i think he will be very very well emotionally adjusted in that department!

and you do know that the voice off Deaf person is a minority even in the Deaf community?

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I know a lot of voice-off people here in Toronto! Or maybe it's just the circles I hang out in...

and you do know that the voice off Deaf person is a minority even in the Deaf community?

I know many 'voices-off' Deaf in New England region -- I may be seeing an unusual selection of Deaf, but in the Deaf circles I see, those who use ASL to communicate and do not use their voices are a majority. Perhaps you are including those like yourself who have a mild - moderate hearing loss as "Deaf", in which case you might see many more who use both signed and spoken languages.

Back