Greetings from Sin City :)

MsConstrued

Reaction score
Hey all :)

I've been viewing this board for a while and finally decided to register.

I'm kind of going through a lot of emotions right now (looming possibility of job loss in the next few months, moving out of my home/state, man trouble, etc.) and in the midst of it all I made (what I think) is a pretty life changing decision: I've decided I want to become an interpreter.

Keep in mind that I'm starting from ZERO.

I've only (that I know of) met 2 deaf people in my life and aside from talking about animals and helicopters I know very little in sign language (so much for looking into Gallaudet's bachelor program. Maybe a year or two elsewhere will help prep me...) This will all be brand new for me, but I thrive being thrown in the lion's den...

Anyway, because there are very few local resources for me to enter this field, I decided to start here and hope that some of you can give me some pointers. Already joined a local meetup group to see if I could meet some local signers... lotta work ahead of me.

Anyway, greetings & salutations :)

lv terp wannabe

Hey lv
I was hoping your post would actually be about teaching deaf how to count cards . Alas I was disappointed.
Being an interperter is a pretty long road to go along. At most programs like at NTID you have to already have fluency in sign language before you can even get in the program. There is also a program in philadelphia that I know of and the same requirements apply. So you have to have to start from scratch and learn your abc's
Now if you can teach me card counting so I can win more often at blackjack we can barter my beginer sign language for your card counting
Signed
Pie in the sky dreamer

Firstly, thanks to all that responded.

DDU: Most locals don't gamble. We leave that up to the tourists so they can inflate our economy :) Card counting would probably help you more in poker anyway. Blackjack is pretty easy, just don't get greedy and push past 18 :-P

KristinaB: Thank you :)

I know it's a LONG road ahead, but I'm not intimidated by that. It's just hard getting started (as far as getting/funding the education, not so much the learning). I didn't approach this lightly thinking I could master it in a year or two. Heard a pretty horrible hospital story where a patient didn't get meds because of a bad interpreter. Learning a new language is a skill; I know it'll take time. I know total immersion is the best way to learn so I'm pursuing all roads I can think of.

Initially I wanted to be a Japanese interpreter because I can speak/read/write it, but I think asl will award me more leverage and oppurtunities stateside. I've flirted with leaving the country, but I think it's almost out of my system...

terp wannabe

You think of visiting a terp program or 2 ? Something like at ntid or gally (ugh). They could probably sit down with you and go over what you need to do to become a terp. My ex was a terp so I got an idea of what it took to go thru the program.
Being a terp for japanese would be your money earner? No idea how often a japenese terp would be required. Though I have noticed cute japanese woman acting as terps on tv news programs.
you have any preferences for where you would want to study?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I don't know the difference between American Interpreter and Japanese Interpreter. Both countries are probably different ways to interpret. If you want to become Sign Language Interpreter for Japanese Deaf students or local people like hospital, schools, court, or any other places that Deaf people want to go and ask for interpreter to understand what is being said by hearing people. You also did not mention if you want to become a spoken Japanese Interpreter for people who need to understand someone or a group of people like the panel spoken in English.

If you decide to become a Sign Language Interpreter for Japan, then maybe you might try at the University of New Mexico where they have a interpreting program. Like DDU said that you must have fluency in ASL or Japanese Sign Language as well as your fluent in Japanese language. I don't know if University of New Mexico are teaching in Japanese Sign Language. If not, then you will have to go to Japan to learn Japanese Sign Language. Your wanting to become an interpreter is very interesting different than ASL Interpreter.

Now that you are here, have fun with us plus reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Yeah, I prolly should've specified. I don't know Japanese Sign Language. And since I no longer plan to move there I can't really see much use to learn that specifically. Spoken Japanese is what I know.

As far as interpreter programs, the roadblock I'm hitting is that I find that a lot already want you to be somewhat fluent just to get in (i.e. U of NM and Gally) Glad I (FINALLY!) found an introductory course locally.

The only reason I considered Gally was because I want to move to DC, wasn't trying to sound like a jackass if I did.

Anywhoo, see you guys on the boards... :)

I very much appreciate your willingness to help newbies who may have questions about hiring a companion.
Greetings from Slovenia.

Have you though about Cal State Northridge? they have an interpreter program, and also teach from ASL 1 through ASL 5 (aka conversational ASL)

aloha there..

ahh, las vegas resident. I always go to Henderson, NV; right next to las vegas. Why? my grandpa n grandma live there and visit there often like 4-5 times a year...

umm.. everything is rolling in your life what you are through and yes, it always tough in life. there is no perfect road that can go smooth thus, always have rocky. i cant promise you that but you'll have a better closing at the end.

I bid you the good luck for your dreams that you want to be and chase it.

CARPE DIEM!

Back