Greetings from Ohio!

StSapphire

Reaction score
Hallo!

I'm new not only here, but to the entire deaf community. I'm hearing from Cincinnati, OH and have for the longest time wanted to both learn ASL and get to know people from the deaf community better. Attempting to do that as a course in high school or college seemed like the wrong way to go about doing that, since I often got burned out on rushing through five or six subjects at a time, so now that I've graduated and have some free time, I'm taking ASL lessons at St. Rita's. (Starting from scratch - prior to my first lesson, I didn't even know the alphabet... :roll: )

Don't worry, I'm not going to try and do any silly "answer an interview for me about what it means to be deaf!" or anything like that - I'm just interested in meeting new people and hopefully opening myself up to some more experiences.

About myself - I'm a web developer/computer programmer (personal preference of Ruby/RoR), I'm an office drone for a large corporation, and I like playing video games on my DS.

Since I'm new here, I'll probably mostly just be lurking, but I figured I'd introduce myself. Hi!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. As long as you are not a scammer, you will be fine with us. Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

hey, welcome :D

which games do you play on the DS??

Lots!

Lately I've been playing Pokémon (well, kinda - since Black and White came out, I've mostly been working on finishing up the code for my custom GTS website). My all time favorites would definitely have to be the Pokémon games, the Phoenix Wright series, the Professor Layton series, and the two Scribblenauts games, followed closely by Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, The World Ends With You and 999.

Welcome to AD so taking asl you can try UC Cincinnati i be happy give you information where about let me know .... ;)

Welcome to AD so taking asl you can try UC Cincinnati i be happy give you information where about let me know .... ;)

Thanks, I may just take you up on that ;)

I actually live about 5 minutes away from UC, though I didn't go there for college.

Lots!

Lately I've been playing Pokémon (well, kinda - since Black and White came out, I've mostly been working on finishing up the code for my custom GTS website). My all time favorites would definitely have to be the Pokémon games, the Phoenix Wright series, the Professor Layton series, and the two Scribblenauts games, followed closely by Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, The World Ends With You and 999.

Hotel Dusk wasn't too bad, though I was a bit disappointed with it as I beat it rather quickly. :aw:
I have to try and remember the others mentioned..

Hotel Dusk wasn't too bad, though I was a bit disappointed with it as I beat it rather quickly. :aw:
I have to try and remember the others mentioned..

Trace Memory was very similar in gameplay style to Hotel Dusk, and I forget what it's called right now, but I know there was a sequel to Hotel Dusk, too.

BIG Hi!!!!

Hallo!

I'm new not only here, but to the entire deaf community. I'm hearing from Cincinnati, OH and have for the longest time wanted to both learn ASL and get to know people from the deaf community better. Attempting to do that as a course in high school or college seemed like the wrong way to go about doing that, since I often got burned out on rushing through five or six subjects at a time, so now that I've graduated and have some free time, I'm taking ASL lessons at St. Rita's. (Starting from scratch - prior to my first lesson, I didn't even know the alphabet... :roll: )

Hi, StSapphire,

Welcome to all deaf forum!
Let me introduce about myself. I was born in Kyoto, Japan as deaf. After graduating from high school, I came to USA for college. Japanese sign language and ASL are completely different, so I was very confused at first, but with friend's help, I could improve my ASL. Now I teach Japanese Sign Language with ASL on my Vlog.

you can learn Japanese sign language with video!

And I host ASL club and Japanese club in NC for over 4 years. I am enjoying sharing deaf culture and Japanese culture at the same time :)
I visit Ohio in last January this year. And went to Cincinnati ZOO with my 2 children(12 and 9 years old). It was awesome trip. I plan to go to Ohio next week, so I want to see you in person and chat with ASL for practicing if you have time......Hope I can help you. I have been teaching ASL to hearing people around here for many years, and I really enjoy that.
There is deaf talent show event in UNCG every year. I showed Japanese sign language on the stage. One Japanese sign is bad expression in USA, so people were surprised how the culture is different.

Also, I plan to setup sushi class in Ohio. So you can join us and meet many deaf people..... I want to know why you wanted to learn ASL? Do you want to be sign interpreter in the future?

Nice to meet you!!!!!

Back