Greetings from New Jersey

contradica

Reaction score
How you doing?

My name is Abbie and I am 27 years old. I am considering a cochlear implant. I was born hearing until when I was 4 years old, it was discovered that I had bilateral sensorineural severe/profound hearing loss. I was immediately fit for hearing aids. I have worn hearing aids in both ears up until I was 12. My left ear developed the Darth Vader voice. I continue to wear a digital hearing aid in my right ear.

I have been mainstreamed all throughout school. I speak orally very well. However, I have notice a decline in my speech discrimination in the past few years. I can use the telephone, both cell and land line. It has gotten harder to talk to stranger, and even when it is familiar voices, I request that they talk very slow. I lipread 90% of the time to keep a conversation going. I can only make out words here and there if I close my eyes.

I have consulted a ENT doctor who feels that I am a candidate for cochlear implant. I will be going to HUP at the end of the month for the official CI evaluation. I have been doing some heavy duty researching for technical details, personal experiences, unbiased studies and all around general information about cochlear implant. I will be looking forward to using this forum and meeting new people.

-Abbie

Hi Abbie, welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay! :thumb: You better be careful with some Aders being prankster from time to time... I'm deaf but was born hearing until the age of 2.

Hello Abbie! :wave:

I'm from Garfield, NJ. I have a deaf friend who lives in Toms River. Tony P. ring a bell? Friends and I used to hit Seaside Heights often back then.

Enjoy your stay!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! I'm doing good, ty for asking--hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! :)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

(btw, should we address you as: Dear Abby? :giggle: :D)

Hi :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :) ....

Back